Your favourite pet theories of your own

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Traditionally, only the last incarnation present remembers events of a multi-Doctor crossover (until he runs unto himself again, though sometimes that memory isn't perfect).

So if this is the case, the only Doctor that would remember where they put Gallifrey would be the 12th Doctor, who flew into the mix while they were working on it ("No sir. All 13")

So the 11th Doctor didn't remember exactly what he did. The 10th Doctor and War Doctor forgot what they did. Clara sort of remembers, which might be why the 11th knows he did try to save Gallifrey. His talk with the Currator was probably also something he might forget, or only barely remember...as that was himself he was talking too. Himself from the future. He likely forgot most of it since that would clearly show him he had a future with more faces, even if that face was one he had had before. In his next adventure, he is certain he is at the end, and sees no way to avoid his fate at Trenzalor. The Fall of the Eleventh.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gallifrey was shifted into a pocket universe. It's stated in Day of the Doctor that there is no way to track or find its new location. The conversation afterwards makes this clear with the War Doctor saying "there is no way to know if we succeeded or not."

That's the way it works in Day of the Doctor, but traditionally there's never been much consistency to it. The matter wasn't addressed in The Three or Five Doctors, although in The Five the Second Doctor remembers the events of The Three. In The Two Doctors its implied the hit the Second Doctor takes to the head causes him to forget things, explaining why the Sixth doesn't remember. And finally, the Tenth Doctor does remember things from the Fifth Doctor's perspective in Time Crash, and indeed this is instrumental to saving the day.

This pre-supposes the Curator really is a future Doctor which is not made clear in Day and indeed officially licensed BBC material does not support this theory.

3. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

The Curator was a doddery old man who got Jackson Laked.

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Aside from the curator being Tom Baker where did fans get the idea this was a retired Doctor?

5. Gingerbread Demon

Thanks for that. OK didn't remember them saying that.

6. Volpone

Volpone Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think there were a couple castoff lines. And he gave the UNIT scientific advisor The Scarf.

7. Ithekro

The dialog. How the Curator talks to the Doctor, and the looks, nods, winks, and finally, the nose tap the Curator does as his says "Who, knows". All of that basically is saying, "I am you, or you are me, but not now. Somewhen, with a face you'll revisit. One of your old favorites."

This of course all follows the Doctor talking to himself about being a great curator. he could retire and be the curator of this place (the undergallery, which is what Queen Elizabeth placed him as). At which point the Curator says "I really think you might." That basically is saying, the Doctor did decide to retire and become the curator of the Undergallery, someday while also taking on the face of his Fourth Incarnation....ditching the scarf at some point, so Osgood has it.

As to which incarnation his is by the point....'Who, knows'.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Wouldn't that make time a recursive loop so that in the future he becomes the curator and meets himself over and over again?

I thought Queen Victoria banned the Doctor from England and formed Torchwood so howcome Queen Elizabeth became more friendly?

9. Ithekro

The Doctor goes through things like that all the time he has a crossover with his own timestream. He then walks off to do something else.

Queen Elizabeth (I) married the Doctor in the mid-1500, and named him as protector of the Undergallery. Later, as she got loney and bitter at him never coming back, issued an execution order in the late 1500s.

Queen Victoria, banished him after knighting him, and formed Torchwood back in the late 1800s.

By the reign of Queen Elizabeth (II) the Doctor joins UNIT as its scientific advisor around the 1970s (he knows nothing of the encounters with either Queen Elizabeth I or Queen Victoria, since those are in his future by several hundred or maybe a thousand years). Torchwood, with Jack Harkness, probably keep at best an eye on the Doctor, but likely have an idea on what order in time he is going and know that if they try to do something to him as the Second, Third, or Fourth Doctors, they will cause an even more massive paradox to happen then if they just leave him be until he is the Tenth Doctor (the one that interacted with the older Queens).

10. Gingerbread Demon

That makes sense. Time Travel hehe makes the head hurt :cool:

11. Ithekro

Of course by the time he is the Tenth Doctor and Torchwood does try to make a move on him, bad stuff happens, Torchwood kind of implodes a bit, the Doctor saves the whole of humanity (a few times over), then a few years later regenerates, so the next time he shows up, it is the Eleventh Doctor (who is the Universally feared one it seems), who is but it not on the excecution/watch list for Torchwood and the Crown. Only UNIT would still have an outstanding need for their former (or is that current) employee. And that is only because the Doctor worked with them under multiple incarnations....some at the same time ("The Three Doctors"). Also the possibility that the Third and Fourth Doctors may have crossed paths (without bumping into himself) in their work for UNIT based on the 1970s or 80s protocols.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it doesn't, you're not thinking about it hard enough. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I was under the impression that, in "The Five Doctors," once each Doctor was abducted by the time scoop and deposited in the Death Zone, the subsequent Doctors forgot everything that happened prior to that point. Their earlier memories were only restored once they all left the Death Zone at the end of the story. This idea is supported by the 5th Doctor's line in the story, "Great chunks of my past detaching themselves like melting icebergs. [...] A person is the sum of his memories, a Time Lord even more so."

As for the 3rd Doctor not remembering the events of "The Three Doctors" from back when he was the 2nd Doctor, it's possible that the Time Lords erased those memories just prior to exiling him to Earth in "Spearhead from Space."

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI[/yt]

This scene seems so obvious in its implications that the Curator is, in fact, a distant future incarnation of the Doctor. Anyone who says otherwise is making things way too complicated. (Although, it does raise the question of how the Doctor is so certain that it's the end at Trenzalore in "The Time of the Doctor" if he's already met a new future self.)

Speaking of "The Day of the Doctor," I have a new pet theory about the impossible photo of Mike Yates & Sara Kingdom in the Black Archive: During one of his many periods of unseen adventures, the 5th Doctor traveled with Mike Yates for a while. Meanwhile, for reasons only he understands, Kameleon had been looking through the TARDIS archives and decided to take the form of Sara Kingdom.

Or it's a sleek, well-done predestination paradox ala The Terminator (not counting the sequels).

14. Ithekro

Sara Kingdom...another one the Doctor can feel guilty about...along with Katrina...maybe Dodo. Different kind of guilt to that of Rose, Martha, or Donna, but still, even when he was so young he would lose people. Of course back then he could barely drive the TARDIS.

They still probably should do a story (for TV) for the Doctor revisiting Susan. His first lost companion, and family.

(Also in the clip of the Doctor and Curator, as Tom Baker is walking off, the thing that attacts my attention is the wall behind them both. "Look, the round things!')

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Oh yeah, LOVE the round things!

I don't think he should feel guilty about Dodo. She left of her own accord.

16. Gingerbread Demon

Yep it looks like a bit if TARDIS wall panel.

But it's not the proper round things. Theere are hexagons too.

Here's more round things..

[​IMG]

17. Ithekro

They are similar to the round things 12 has.

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should have seen the "roundels" within the third Doctor's TARDIS for a time. They were basically a honeycombed series of "bowls", almost perfect inverted hemispheres with a small translucent disc in the center.

The point being, there's been variations upon the "roundel" design throughout the series. I rather liked the "roundel within a hexagon" arrangement and would not mind seeing that in the TARDIS at some point.

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Gingerbread Demon

I love the 70s early 80s era console room and love the round things too...

Some of those open too and have stuff inside..

20. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    I think Torchwood didn't try to kidnap the Pertwee Doctor for fear of making an enemy of the Brigadier.