A theory on why Naomi spent so much time with Seven.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dale Sams, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, I didn't know they were married. Also, of course, I meant in a hypothetical situation like Samantha was declared dead and Naomi's dad remarried.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Transport one of the the crews over to the other vessel, but leave them in transporter suspension.

It's the ships that can't handle too much crew, not the universe, which is stupid, if there was a near by planet, to leave the less desirable crewmen, all would be good.

According to wikipedia "atomic balance" is not a thing, but they may have meant atom balancing...

Which is about how atomic compounds are formed as atoms randomly bind... Hydrogen + Oxygen = Water.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but did you check it in the 24th century? ;)

4. Guy Gardener

My wiki only goes up to the 23rd.

5. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Like that Baby of Borg?

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

If figured Niomi spent allot of time with Seven because mentally Seven and Niomi are the same age. When Seven debates Janeway she's usually right but there are times from Seven's lack of certain adult understandings, she's still about 7 or 8 years old mentally. Niomi and Seven relate to each other on that level.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I tend to think Sam Wildman wasn't an absentee mother but the actress was just rarely on screen so we don't see them together.

I agree about Seven being emotionally the same age as Naomi. Plot device-wise, it also gave her an opportunity to engage somebody on a non-Starfleet level where she didn't have to be guarded or held to anyone's standard but her own.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Like I said, Nancy Hower wasn't a regular (more's the pity... :sigh: ), but Jeri Ryan was, so therefore we'll always see Seven more often than Sam.

And in those episodes where we DID see Sam, her relationship with Naomi seemed secure, so no one can accuse her of being unfit or absent.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I figure she did it to annoy mom like many rebellious kids. Instead of swearing and slang. She learned Borg designations and acting like Seven just to honk off mom.

10. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

Of course, children don't like or respect other people. :techman: In honesty, I don't get this question.

though not to be crude, I can see why Naomi's birth was via a transporter. The lacerations would have been fatal. :eek::eek:

11. exodus

Yeah, I think Nancy Hower was probably in the process of creating and trying to sell her show "My Boys", which was picked up by TBS.

12. Guy Gardener

I got 3 episodes into that and wandered off.

Thought about trying 10 items or less again because I really really liked her cowboy comedy last year.

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Except we hardly ever saw Naomi with the other kids. She and they were all in the episode with the science fair, but I can't remember any other episodes. Was Naomi part of the group Neelix told ghost stories to?

Considering that Mezoti preferred to hang around with Harry, maybe Naomi wasn't that much fun to be with!

Seven certainly did have duty shifts.

Given the hassle of two Will Rikers running around, would you want identical people constantly underfoot on the same ship?

14. Guy Gardener

Like the Delaney sisters, or like two of the Borg Kids?

Or like the script cockups that ascribed alternating genders to at least three of the same off-camera stock characters?

15. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Still, they're crewmen,
    Identical crewmen and you'll find,
    They laugh alike, they walk alike,
    At times they even talk alike --

You can lose your mind,
    When your crewmen... are two of a kind.

And now... I feel ancient. :lol: But if Patty Duke could handle playing both parts, I think the Voyager cast could have handled it.

16. exodus

Me too. :lol:

17. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Interesting theory. I wonder if the duplication process also attributed to her growing up so quickly. on the shwo :wtf: Maybe it did something to her newborn cells thus causing her to age rapidly. Or, you could argue the typical theory: Katarians just age and mature quickly (like they say that Klingons age quickly and that is why Alexander grows up so quickly between TNG and DS9).

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm currently reading a fanfic that has Naomi go through a "growth spurt" and start Starfleet Academy before age 12 (biological equivalent of mid-late human teens).

Or you could just say that both Naomi and Alexander contracted a condition known as SORAS - Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome.

19. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Naomi was tired of Neelix and his amorous ambitions to hook up with Samantha and therefore turned to Seven who became her friend and "replacement mother"?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh? I didn't see any of that. In fact they had very few scenes together at all.

Besides, Neelix isn't a homewrecker. He (and everyone else) knows Samantha's married.

As for Naomi: It's pretty well accepted that Ktarians age a lot quicker than humans and since Naomi is 1/2 Ktarian, she will too. She's probably Academy-age by the time they get home.