‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing against Affleck as a director or person, but there is no way he won't look and sound like mere human weakling standing next to Cavill. He's got a naturally mournful/baleful (no pun intended) look and eyes, and a much gentler voice than Cavill's.

The more I think about this, the worse it sounds.

Okay, so I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy: where was he during the Metropolis battle, then? He couldn't hop in a Bat-Plane and help out? And when Clark showed up at the military base, are we really supposed to believe no one mentioned that other cape-and-costume-wearing guy, or did those mentions just oh-so-conveniently happen off-screen?

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I definitely would never have thought of Affleck as Batman, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

3. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Affleck will be OK, it is what they come up with as a script that will decide if the film is any good. Making this work right on the big screen is incredibly hard, and it is not like they can get Joss Whedon.

If Nolan is in charge I'd expect some good leadership, but they also need a great script and a good director. Being out alongside and available for direct comparison to the Avengers 2 will not help them.

That said, the absolute worst that can happen is a shitty movie, so they can knock themselves out.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Well, that was unexpected.

I want to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really really do.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I think that is why I am so shocked. He wasn't even on the radar. But the more I think about it the more I do like the idea. I think he can really pull it off.

I am more concerned about the script than who they cast as Batman. Look at Clooney in Batman and Robin. While I may enjoy the movie as an homage to the campy 60s show, Clooney did not do a bad job acting as either Wayne or Batman. The problem was people did not want a campy Batman movie, or at least the level of camp that was in that movie. So if Clooney had been Batman in a less campy movie I think people would not be putting the blame for that movie on his shoulders.

If they set the tone of this movie like they did with Iron Man then I think Afflack will do just fine.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No, its not the same 'verse. This was discussed at length when the film was announced.

He was busy. Major shit was going down in Gotham. (Same excuse they've used in comics for decades)

A bunch of people mentioned it, as you surmised, off camera.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's been an issue in super-hero comics since they started sharing universes. Where were the Fantastic Four when the Avengers were saving the universe? What were the rest of the Legionnaires doing that was so important that there were only five available to take on the Sun-Eater? Suspend your disbelief. The bottom line is that whatever Batman may have been doing behind the scenes, it wasn't relevant to the story at hand. And we don't know that he could have done anything to make a difference. A god-like alien and the U.S. military were on the case. Batman was out of the loop.

And when the military had Superman in custody, they were probably more focused on super-powered aliens on Earth and a possible invasion than on comparing Superman's sartorial choices to that vigilante in Gotham City. Perspective.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Batman was busy dealing with the Joker-fish in Gotham and couldnt be bothered with something that was beyond his power level.

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope... A completely different universe...

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I can sum up the choice of Afflect as Batman in one bit of dialogue:

"Hey, Supah-man! What th' frig?!"

11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'm perfectly fine with this choice. Is Affleck the best actor out there for the role? No. But Batman is not that hard to do, actually. Superman was a lot harder to get right, Batman is fairly easy to portray. Most actors out there would have been at least suitable, and Affleck is more than just suitable. He'll be fine.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, as I think about it, I can.... almost see it as Affleck has a "look" about him I think suits Bruce Wayne and he may play well against Cavil but at the same time... :shudder: he's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I'm sure in this world Batman is still nothing more than an urban myth that no one really takes seriously. He probably hasn't revealed himself in a big, dramatic way yet, like we saw at the end TDKR.

Plus, there's the lack of superpowers thing.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. Bale's still Batman to me, so far as live-action goes. Affleck is good and all, but he'll never measure up.

Now if they dubbed over Affleck with Kevin Conroy, then I'd be onboard. ;)

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree to an extent... but Batman still needs to be a pretty dark and badass character. And while Affleck is good at playing haunted or conflicted, there's just nothing remotely dark or badass about him.

Even Keaton at least had some sort of crazy and unpredictable quality to him (as seen so clearly in Beetlejuice) that you could easily see being molded to fit Batman.

16. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I know it's an unpopular opinion, but Keaton was never really that believable for me as Batman.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Never bought into Keaton either. Batman as a pudgy middle-aged man? Yeahhh... Sorry don't buy it.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

With the same Wayne Enterprises corporate logo... :shifty:

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you need to take a good, long look at the history of live-action Batmen. The record is not that strong because the role is difficult to pull off in and out of costume--playing two distinct characters.

Like the horrid Keaton, Affleck's face, voice and general body type is all wrong for the role (no matter what kind of training is used to beef up BA).

Batman is not an everyman, so the actor who takes on the role cannot be that, either. Affleck comes off very much like "some guy down the street."

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I had expected a much more ferocious response to the casting of Affleck as Batman.

I think he's a good choice. He fits physically, and I think his acting is underrated somewhat.

Michael Keaton was very good in that role, I thought. My first reaction to his casting was that he was too small, but I thought he carried it off well enough. Better than Clooney and Kilmer, that's for sure.

I thought Bale was a great Batman but a terrible Bruce Wayne.