‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He'd have to look like Starscream! :rommie:

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well maybe if there was something other than the usual "There should have been another way" thing which is usually used to mean the writers need to do an asspull. I wouldn't consider it the usual comic fanboy minority complaint.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But now you are changing the topic. Your question was quite simple, "what's more heroic" and the answer is quite simple and it is not really a subjective answer. I wasn't saying what I would like to see, I was answering your question in a fairly objective fashion --with a subjective plug for Morrison's run on Action which I am quite fond of. I don't see any arguing with my point.

You could argue more subjectively that you felt that his actions in Man of Steel were heroic enough (and I would agree with you) but in the context of a super-hero movie there is plenty that Superman could have done to be more heroic.

The whole point of the story was that he was learning to be a hero. If this were the opening arc to a comic book, the follow up issues would most likely be written with Superman thinking exactly that, that he could have done more, and learning from those mistakes.

In fact, the movie could have ended much better with a scene with Lois and Superman (for example) with Superman feeling down because he knows that he could have done a better job and Lois encouraging him to be a better hero.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

How can you even ask that question when he played beside Emily Clarke for an entire season of Game of Thrones? She is completely transformed in my mind by her blonde wig.

What's more, he looks different in almost every role. Are you telling me that the average person could watch Stargate and say it was the same actor as in Game of Thrones or Conan?

Google his name and look for images of him without dredlocks. Then imagine blonde hair and I am sure you would be hard pressed to think he would look wrong for the part.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I think you're possibly directing your question at the wrong person. As I read the above exchange, davejames was saying that there was no need to put Momoa in a blond wig as he'd look silly in it while Mr Fandango was saying you won't know what he'll look like until you see it.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I just looked up his IMDb page. Funny how they now also list roles for which an actor is only rumored.

IMDb| Jason Momoa

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I guess Christopher Reeve had a "flier's physique"...he used hang-gliding experience to inform his flight movements as Superman.

8. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So objectively Superman is more heroic if he is willing to risk the lives of innocents by wasting the SECONDS he has to stop Zod from flat out murdering people becuase he stop time just so he can feel go about himself.

Because that what the "there should have been another way" complaint boils down to.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep.

It's saying "being God would be more heroic." Except that it really wouldn't.

Fuck that version of Superman.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^Tough luck, Dennis, because that was a deux et machina-laden cop-out even back in 1978 and it would be a cop out now.

I knew that WB would make a different Superman movie after Superman Returns 'failed' (it didn't) and that people would now have warm fuzzy memories of it over Man Of Steel. The only thing is, why didn't they like the last one if the current one's such shit?

Also, you're missing the fact that Zod had nothing to live for due to Krypton being destroyed and his plan to bring it back on Earth failing. His fighting Superman and forcing Superman to kill him could be considered 'suicide by cop'-because that's what Superman usually is like, a cop (he'e even a specially deputized member of the Metropolis police force in the comic books.) So no, I disagree with how you view this.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Except that in Man Of Steel, Superman isn't a cop or an authority figure of any kind. And really Zod believed that he could take out Superman, after all he was a trained warrior from birth and Clark was a mere farm boy. I don't think Zod believed that Clark had in him to kill him, let alone the fact that he'd withstood everything Superman could throw at him.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I just realized, wouldn't it have been smarter of Zod to use his heat vision on the floor? Or on Superman? (The floor would collapse, he might get a tactical advantage over Superman) (Using it on Superman might kill him)

Like, why go after ants before you've dealt with the real threat? Especially when that threat has you in your grasp? Especially since that threat hasn't made any effort yet to save people... (tee hee.)

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

what gets me about this infamous scene are two things:

1: There hadn't been so much as an ounce of concern (even a single worried shot) from Superman during the Zod fight that he was concerned with aving people. They tore up half the city.
    2. The "family" was more like a "contrivance" made to force us to finally care but we can't because it's clear that even the director didn't. After Zod is killed the family is left out of any subsequent wide shots and they are absent for any reactions. They are not even allowed to say thank you to Superman. They weren't people the film cared about at all.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Zod tried both earlier on the fight and Superman was able to fly away from a collapsing floor anmd he hit Zod with a girder on Lex Luthor's building when Zod tried using his heat vision against him.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The shots of Supes "hovering" over the collapsing floor looked really badly composited...

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I have no idea why you're addressing me here, since nothing you say has anything logically to do with anything I've said.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I was more thinking if he used it on the floor, he might get out of Superman's grip.

Most of the fight I have totally forgot.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, we're still going over all this? I thought it was as obvious as can be that Zod wanted Superman to kill him at that point. That's what all the stuff about him no longer having any purpose anymore was all about.

Instead of continuing to fight on and on, he decided to force Superman's hand and give him no choice but to kill him.

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^That was my take on it as well.