Chris Pine/Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Taylirious, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pine

Discuss The Captain!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDweICxzeQA[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDweICxzeQA

ETA: Karl Urban is a badass McCoy! :D

MOD: I am sorry! Forgot there was another thread.

2. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chris Pine is a great Kirk. He has already done things that William Shatner could never had done even in his television series years. Look Up George Takei talking about the new Kirk and William Shatner on youtube.com:)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Pine's Kirk. He's a cocky sod, but always manages to be likeable. Compare to his performance in Carriers, where he's very similar but plays it just over the unlikable asshole line.

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think he makes a good Kirk without trying to impersonate shatner too much, which is good. In the next movie though I want to see his awesome-ness in tactically out-thinking his enemies like the Kirk we all know and love, rather than arrogantly riding his luck like the first 2 movies where we've seen him get the chair too early, lose it and have to earn it back.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Like what?

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I don't think he'll ever reach the nostalgic level that Shatner is at but he's a good spin on the character.
    Shatner didn't get beat up as much.

7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*coughfinnigancough*

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Bonk bonk on the head.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Transwarp beaming.

10. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

funny!!! :guffaw:

11. HIjol

tell you what...he held his own against Denzell in 'Unstoppable"...not Oscar material, but he did the job of the role...

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I don't really like Pine as Kirk but its mostly the script.
    I'm hoping he'll come off less of a jerk in the next movies. I certainly liked him better in STID than in ST09.

Come to think of it I didn't like Shatner as Kirk until the 80s. I thought he was too much of a 'ladies' man.
    Maybe in another 20 years I'll think better of Pine.;)

I think I'd like Urban better as Kirk though.

13. HIjol

I am with you on Urban...has he had a "bad " role?...if he has, I cannot I think of it...Bourne, ST, LOtR, Riddick...I did not see Judge Dredd, but I understand he did a good I job with that...I read recently that his "voice" of Dr. McCoy was so good that it moved Leonard Nimoy to tears...you gotta love that... :)

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Nothing against the rest of the cast but IMO Urban was the closest to his original counterpart.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Except this McCoy got that gym membership which McCoy Prime only dreamed about.

16. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

It's all Picard's fault.

Back in the 1980s someone said that, as captain of the Enterprise, Kirk shouldn't beam down personally to danger and risk the ship lose her commanding officer (forgetting there'd be no Star Trek otherwise). Then when the time came to do TNG, attending to that absurd idea was invented Picard, the "older" "strategist" who stayed with the ship commanding who-knows-what and that bore demanded the creation of Decker-like muscular Number One to, you know, do things.

Well, that went the way it went. When there was no other way except reboot Trek, it was deemed Kirk should be as far as possibly from Baldy, and in name of clarity absurdity came.

Poor actor Pine looks right -- he really does -- but his Kirk had to be an electric on drugs speedy version.

It's all Picard's fault.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Quinto does a better job of evoking the original actor than anyone else in the movies, because he's not trying too hard to imitate Nimoy - he's playing the character Spock. Urban's fine, but he's doing an impersonation just as Pegg is (Pegg's not mimicking Doohan's fake accent, but he parodies much of his attitude).

I like Pine fine as Kirk. His Kirk is not the same character as oldKirk.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I disagree that Quinto does a better job of evoking Spock. I think he looks more like Spock but I think that Urban does a better job of channelling the inner McCoy although he looks nothing like deForest Kelley.

I just think that Quinto is playing a 21st century version of Spock all angst and vengeful. I never saw that aspect in Nimoy's Spock (the 'real' Spock ;)). I don't mind Quinto's Spock- he's just not as wonderful a character as the original Spock IMO.

19. HIjol

There are moments when you can see the "original Spock" in Quijto's performance, but, on balance, I agree with CommishSleer on Urban being a more "complete" new McCoy than Quijto's Spock...but the real turning point for me is when NuSpock and Nu'Uhura kiss so effortlessly and almost casually...that is when NuSpock goes off the rails for me...

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Urban comes across to me as an impressionist and not a lot more. His routine is Pissed-Off McCoy, only one of the three or four attitudes Kelley was capable of as McCoy.

I enjoy Urban, but I enjoy impressions.