Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Loving the Avengers Jet, I guess Tony ditched his plans for a standard Quinjet in the tower (from the end of A1) after the Hydra incident.

Really looks like Banner spends most of the movie suffering a complete breakdown, the mental stress must finally have proved too much for him.

Scarlet Witch etc working for Ultron first, implying he breaks them out?

A lot of shots of Russia, Black Widow and Hawkeye involved, Fury in the mix, so I'm guessing them being sent in to take down a major Hydra installation near the start of the film before all the assembling.

Although, are they all at the tower just to christen it or something? Thor doing social calls, that's...weird.

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Your friends are wrong.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Still waiting for season 2 here (UK).

5. Turtletrekker

Hopefully never.

When will people get tired of rom-coms, sports movies, war movies, spy movies, sci-fi...?

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh.

I see two minutes of fan-service and Michael Bay-esque explosions. I don't see any reason to care.

It's what it is, a trailer aimed at the MCU fan culture. For the people outside that culture, there will probably be better trailers, ones that will make the non-fen care, early next year.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

IGN has a rewind theatre thing where they go through the trailer in detail. You can actually see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the protest scene near the beginning, so that could be before they get experimented upon. And then I'm guessing Ultron breaks them out, and they're probably in the state where he can manipulate them to be on his side.

As for the tower scene, in the rewind thing on IGN you can make out that that version of Ultron and the robot he crushes have the Avengers symbol on them, so perhaps the Avengers were toasting a successful mission.

Random thoughts -

I'm wondering if the reason Thor is holding Stark by the neck is because Ultron is responsible for Jane Foster's death?

Also, I think Black Panther is going to make an appearance. Probably in the full suit as well so they don't have to announce that an actor has been cast for him.

8. Turtletrekker

The same could be (and was) said about the first trailer for the first movie. I don't think it was meant to be that deep or reveal too much story. It was meant to tell the AoS audience, "Hey, remember us? The guys that this show spun off of? We're coming back and here's a taste!"

And with Marvel's notorious secrecy, there's no way they're going to give us any juicy stuff this early.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree with that. This was plainly a trailer for the MCU fans. :)

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. While I wasn't the greatest fan of the first movie, judging from this trailer I'd say the sequel ups the ante quite a bit in terms of the stakes and the villain. With Ultron coming across as the most deadly and serious threat anyone has faced yet.

I'm sure that will be more than enough to get people interested and wanting to see it.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I'm sure there will be plenty of casual fans who will be excited by this trailer as well. I'm not a Marvel guy and don't have a freakin clue who Ultron is, but the danger and seriousness of the threat still came through plenty strongly to me.

I mean we're not talking about another disposable Spider-Man sequel here. This is clearly at a whole other level than that.

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

As long as I'm not forced to only see it in two-dimensional line drawings on 6.5x10 inch glossy paper I don't give a shit if I've seen it before. I intend to keep seeing it over and over until the cast is riding around in Hoverrounds.

Tell that to Warner's who are about to do the exact same thing with their heroes, betting (wisely) that you're wrong.

:wtf: How the fuck does that have any relevance to whether the movie will be worth the money or not?

And as you just frigging said, The reason they're getting back together doesn't matter. The plot could be as flimsy as "Avengers take the ice bucket challenge" and it will still kick ass at the box office.

I intend to plunk down my bills and have fun watching this. Nobody's forcing you to do the same.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's amazing what people will find to complain about..... as if a movie like this is SUPPOSED to be taken seriously? It's a comicbook movie FFS, not some sort of intense historical drama or something.

It looks exactly like what I'd expect from a summer blockbuster.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Being a comic book movie doesn't mean it's devoid of meaning (or that it has to be). Heck, one of my biggest complaints about The Avengers (after how utterly hideous it looks) is that it's an explicitly authoritarian, borderline fascist film and completely ignores the implications of its heroes' actions because Whedon would rather have someone say something snarky and all's forgotten and he goes on playing with action figures.

And the entire point of Nolan's entire Batman trilogy is that Batman makes everything around him worse, not better, because of his childish revenge fantasy, and shit doesn't start getting better until he puts away his toys and moves out of his parents' basement -- just because a film draws its roots from a comic doesn't mean that it's suddenly immune to criticism.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the trailer looks good and looks like it could be a fun movie. The first Avengers movie was good, fun and is one of few movies to pull of the extended third-act action scene well, balancing the various characters well.

This teaser does pretty much what it is supposed to do. Whet our appetites. We're not supposed to get much more from it than a slight peak at the final product. I think it looks very, very promising.

On the maligned scene of BW dropping from the Quinjet it does look a bit hokey, I admit, but the movie is still pretty far from release it could be an unfinished effects piece, could look better in the finished film.

I'd argue there's something of a conceit you have to accept when you go into certain types of movies. And the Marvel movies being comic book movies part of that conceit is that the characters get to fight imposing villains, cause damage in the process, and walk away from it when the day is saved. That they get to curtail rights and law to get to their mission.

Hell, "The Dark Knight" has Batman destroying the private property of civilians and violating a prisoner's rights (with aid from local law enforcement) in the name of saving a couple district attorneys. But, again, we accept it because it's a conceit of the genre and the character that someone gets to be a vigilante with a functional relationship with local law enforcement.

So, I don't think it's too fair a criticism against Avengers, or any comic book movie, to say the characters are doing things without consequences to their actions. That's like saying it's a bit silly for four men wearing nuclear-accelerators on their backs are jovial and quipping when they're on the cusp of the end of the world. The movie's in large part a comedy, so we accept that the characters are going to be comedic even when it's unreasonable to be so, we even ignore that the characters are consequence-free of their actions. They charge someone $5000 for their services even though they caused vastly more than that in damages in performing those services. They become local celebrities performing these services which, again, presumably cause a great deal of damage due to the unpredictability of their equipment.

So you have to measure what you expect from a film with what kind of film it is.

Avengers is a comic book movie set in a comic book universe where aliens, gods, and massive flying aircraft carries exist. A brilliant man can pretty much make a perpetual energy device in a cave from missile scraps and this device gives him near limitless powered flight. A cocktail of medicines can turn a 90lb asthmatic weakling into a taller, muscle-bound man who's at the peak of human capability. Exposure to radiation can cause a man to turn into a hulk, invulnerable, beast depending on his emotional state. (Rather than giving him severe cancer and him dying in a couple of days.) An archer and a woman with a couple of pistols are able to survive a battle with powerful aliens.

All stuff we have to accept for this type of movie so it's not too much further to accept when the job is done they get to just move along home and not worry about consequences.

If this happened in a movie with a realistic setting, say a crime or military drama, questioning it would be worth it.

But sometimes the genre a movie is in dictates the leeway it gets when it comes to questioning events in it. The Marvel movies are comic book movies so comic book rules get to apply. Heroes can get away with whatever they want because at the end of the day they end up saving civilization and the world.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What seems to be the dominant(that I've seen thus far) fan theroy is that Serkis playing Ulysses Klaw.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Thank you! I'd thought about asking, as the character's look seemed very familiar.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

20. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw: