Deadpool greenlit for 2016

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, it looks like the power of the Internet and the fan reaction to the leaked Deadpool test footage has resulted in Fox green lighting a Deadpool movie.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55630

I am currently at work, and therefore cannot get youtube on my computer here. However, if someone could post a link to that test footage that would be sweet. Thanks.

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

This movie has the potential to be so awesome. Let's just hope Fox does it right.

Here ya go:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CphFZGH5030[/yt]

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The test footage was great, and I think this has a lot of potential. But, hopefully they'll do it right. I can easily see this being a generic, watered down PG-13 action movie. It may be unrealistic, but an R-Rated deadpool would be awesome. Either way, I'm excited about the possibility of getting a Deadpool movie.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I can easily see this being a generic, watered down PG-13 action movie - and Deadpool acknowledging it as such in the very first scene, vowing to make fun of the limits of that rating throughout the film (BLEEPs, black boxes, miscolored green/blue/orange blood, strategically placed props everywhere). "Just bear with me, okay? I promise, I'll make it up to you on the Unrated Extended home video release with alternate EVERYTHING (plus Bea Arthur CGI cameo). Just help me make more at the box office than Johnny Depp's last film first. Shouldn't be too hard."

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If they do a hilarious over the top job of bleeping and blurring and black-boxing things, I think a PG-13 version could work.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no way the movie will be R rated, none.

They should have never canceled the movie years ago.

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

WOO FUCKING HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's more than likely going to be a PG-13 movie. And let's be honest, you can get away with a ton with a PG-13 rating these days, particularly in regards to violence. I'm more concerned about whether they can nail the zany, batshit crazy tone of Deadpool and his world. If they stick to something close to what they came up with in that test footage, they'll be fine.

9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

:lol:

Congrats brah!

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That could work for me. Seems like a good compromise as long as they acknowledge it in the movie.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I dug the test reel plenty ("Just call me Angel... of the Morning, An-gel"), but can't help but wondering if such an amoral, motormouth character can really sustain interest over the course of a full feature. Half an hour, sure, but 90+ minutes? I dunno. I kinda wish this movie would be an anthology - say, three 30-40 minute films about three different mutants and their stories. The other two movies could be about, I dunno, Gambit and Storm? One heist short film, one origin story, one something else? (And having less time spent on Deadpool would make the PG-13 issue easier also.) The key, naturally, would be to not step on the toes of X-Men storylines while still hooking in caual moviegoing fans. ("Just touch my face before you leave me... oh my darling...")

12. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

"Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller..."

13. Gaith

^What a compelling counter-example! Or it would be, if Ferris were amoral or a gleeful killer. Not to mention a masked one. Um, so, actually, that's not such a great counter-example. Try again?

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I have to agree it seems like a difficult character to make work over the course of an entire movie, and that it might not take long for his nonstop quipping to simply become really annoying. But if nothing else it would be a very different and unique superhero movie.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I just hope the movie is as good as the leaked script I read... because that was perfect.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It looks as if we will be getting a PG-13 version of the script.

Podcast from Shmoesknow.com

Relevant highlights from Comicbook.com

17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It will be an R mislabled as a PG-13. In some respects I considered GoG really an R in PG-13 clothing, a pattern that goes back at least as far as Transformers. Whether a film gets an R seems to have more to do with how high the budget is and whether there will be toys than the actual content of the script.

18. Gaith

^ Yeah, that and there will be an unrated home release. Trust and believe.

... Given the obviousness of that, the studio might be wise to also release the unrated cut in theaters. If there can be concurrent 2D/3D releases, why not PG-13 and Rs?

19. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why people are so adamant that Deadpool needs to be R. Graphic violence and language, etc. had never been a part of the character until he got a couple runs on a MAX series. Deadpool was PG-13 at his inception, and has been PG-13 for most of his existence.

20. Gaith

While it's true the MPAA has gotten very lenient on gun battles, hacking limbs off humans still tends to get to R territory pretty quick. The Wolverine got away with having Claws just kinda vaguely slice around, but...