ENTER! SF & F Avatar Contest: Stationary

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the new contest. After going from objects to vehicels over the past two contests, I thought I'd continue in this spirit. This time, it's immovable artificial objects, as in buildings, bases, space stations, etc.. I'd say there's a wide array of these to choose from. Usual av rules applay, as always. Have fun!

And here's my entry:
    [​IMG]

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

3. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Mount Seleya

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Kai "the spy"

^^ You know, the fact the Stargate was found in egypt and then transported to the U.S. suggests that it is not quite immovable. That, however, is nitpicking and I won't stand for it. Your entry is allowed.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it may not be immovable, but it is typically stationary.

7. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]
    The Dark Tower from The Lord of the Rings

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Deep Space Station K7, from Star Trek 'The Trouble with Tribbles' and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 'Trials and Tribble-ations'

:klingon:

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's not a moon...

[​IMG]

10. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The Death Star isn't stationary. Case in point; in Star Wars it's piloted to Yavin to destroy the Rebel Base.

My entry:
    [​IMG]

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Good one.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

That was the first Death Star.

The second Death Star never went anywhere.

14. Gecko of Gorn

Gecko of Gorn Commodore Commodore

15. Kai "the spy"

As I said, nitpicking. I already allowed the stargate.

Now, here's a debate. The thing is, the first Death Star showed that it was not stationary. Why it was called a space station in the movie, I don't know, but for all intents and purposes, it was an admittedly huge starship.
    The second Death Star was still being build, so it was quite stationary. On the other hand, if I allow this, would it open the door to other starships being build? Quite the slippery slope. I'll take it under advisement and give my ruling tomorrow. Ancient Mariner, you may want to prepare a back-up entry.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

17. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Emperor said the second Death Star was fully operational, and it still didn't go anywhere. And with the shield bein' generated by a source on the Endor moon's surface, I'd say it couldn't go anywhere.

And, while ya can speculate that at some point, they may have thrown an engine & shield generator on the damn thing and gone somewhere, they didn't. It got blowed up just like the first.

Meanwhile, no one seems to have a problem with Deep Space Nine, even though it totally changed locations from Bajor's orbit to the wormhole in the pilot episode. It didn't go anywhere after that, but it did move, under its own power, from one location to another onscreen.

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably because the Death Star was originally supposed to be just the Imperial ultimate weapon, basically a planet-killing self-propelled space gun. All the princess-rescue stuff happened in the prisons of the Imperial cloud city on another planet (Alderaan, at that point). When they found they wouldn't be able to do all that they moved that action to the Death Star. My guess is they didn't know what to call it then, since it had prisons and Imperial higher-up conferences and all that, so they went with "battle station."

You're right, though, it's essentially a huge FTL spaceship ("Set your course for Alderaan"), and the ROTJ version will apparently be just as mobile once completed.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, since the Death Star (And Stargate) were allowed in, I didn't want to bring DS9 up, but, most definitely, of the 3, it has the biggest question mark.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm amazed we haven't seen this yet!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.