Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQt6lYJHIOA[/yt]

I like this type of movie, but the trailer was awful. Every shot was followed by a shot of total darkness. I thought that my flash player wasn't working. Then they used the same sound effects that they used for Transformers (the only lead we have is this sound..")

Plus, in my my opinion, the biggest sin of all is that they used the phrase "You are the seventh son of a seventh son" without using Iron Maiden's music in the background.!

Looks like a B-movie.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love sword and sorcery. I love Jeff Bridges. I love B-movies (I rank JCVD and Vincent Price as among my favourite actors!).

I am definitely watching this.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

This is what a D&D movie should look like.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.

5. DalekJim

I own the first two DnD movies on DVD. Hilariously awful. Killer Tom Baker cameo though, along with Richard O'Brien.

It's not based on the Orson Scott Card story. Liberals can relax.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That's not very constructive.
    If wiki is to be trusted, it's based on Joseph Delaney's book, titled Spook's Apprentice, which is part of the Wardstone Chronicles. I must admit, I'd not heard of the series until now.

As for the film, I'm not expecting it to be a great piece of cinema, but it looks like it could be a fun diversion.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It is indeed based on the Joseph Delaney series. The Spook's Apprentice is called The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch in the US. I haven't read the books yet, although I've heard good things about them. The movie doesn't look particularly good, but I'll check it out because I like the genre.

8. Pavonis

Never heard of it. The only Seventh Son I have heard of was Card's. And since Ender's Game finally made it to the screen, I thought he'd had some luck with his lesser known works, too. :shrug:

9. Greylock Crescent

Ah! Thanks for that. I have heard of the Last Apprentice series. Though I didn't recall that Delaney was the author. Good to know! :techman:

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

It looks like it could be dumb fun, but it's hard to take whatever variation Jeff Bridges is trying to do with his aging hippie voice there seriously. I'm not even sure what he's going for. Does he think he's sounding British or medieval or something? It just sounds like an old, burned out surfer on lots of Vicodin.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like it could be fun. I've never read the books, although I have seen them on Amazon.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Judging by the trailer, this looks fairly tedious and rather dreadful. I think I will pass on this one.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah saw this trailer in front of Pacific Rim, and while it looked a smidge better than the typical sword and sorcery flick, there's still just so MANY of these movies now that they all just sort of blur together and feel like the same thing after awhile.

And I'm frankly amazed studios are still even trying to MAKE these movies. They only really appeal to teenage boys, and they nearly all end up tanking at the box office, it seems like.

14. DalekJim

Really? I don't see many of these types of sword and sorcery films being made right now. I'd say it's superhero films flooding the market.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

There's been Conan the Barbarian, In the Name of the King, Prince of Persia, Centurion, Jack the Giant Killer, Chronicles of Narnia, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Immortals, Scorpion King...

They may not be all pure sword and sorcery, but they all have the same basic look, with lots of running around and people fighting giant CG monsters.

16. Pavonis

As opposed to other movies that have people running around and fighting other CG things.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone is hoping they can find the next LOTR.

18. Greylock Crescent

Yep. Especially that Peter Jackson fellow. ;)