2015/16 NHL season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by BlueStuff, Oct 7, 2015.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season begins tonight at 7pm EST, Montreal at Toronto.

Other games:

New York Rangers at Chicago Blackhawks
    Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames
    San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings

It's been a long summer. Should be an exciting season, and I'm looking forward to watching the debut years of Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. I'm also interested to see how new faces perform with their new teams, such as Kessel with the Pens, McLellan with the Oilers, Babcock with the Leafs. Most importantly, I'm hoping for a Cup win for the Tampa Bay Lightning, or if not, I'll hope that Ovechkin finally wins.

2. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Sweet - first Jets game of the season and it's a 6-2 win over Boston. :techman: The goals came from all 4 lines too and one from Nic Petan who was playing his first NHL game.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Leafs re-build begins. At least they started to look better.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been loving the first two nights of the NHL Season. The Sharks dominated against the Kings, and then last night we saw our first regular season 3 on 3 and it was exciting. I'm going to the Sharks home opener tomorrow and I can't wait.

5. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

2 wins in 2 nights - this season's off to a good start! Another sniper shot from Scheifele to get things started in the 3-1 win over New Jersey. A couple more games against the New York teams next week and then finally the home opener on Thursday.

6. BlueStuff

Lightning overcome the Flyers at home in the NHL's first 3-on-3 OT; extremely exciting stuff. I don't think we'll be seeing many shootouts from now on.

Next up: today's road game against Jack Eichel and the Sabres.

7. tomalak301

Granted it's only been against Boston and New Jersey, but Winnipeg looks like a fun team to watch. Winnipeg being good helps in the NHL as a whole. Looking forward to those match ups with Colorado and Minnesota.

8. tomalak301

Just got back from the game, and this is the second year I've done the Sharks 10 pack and of all the games I've been to in that time, this was the best. That had playoff intensity written all over it, and the Sharks played with an agressiveness that was missing all throughout last year. There was a point in the third period where they were in the Ducks end for what felt like 3 minutes and I had to stand up and give them an ovation for that. They didn't score, but on 5 on 5, they were playing like they were on the Power Play, and it was incredible. Also, Marleau with the two goals, Burns sacrificing his body on defense, and I'm officially sold on Martin Jones. All those questions about if he can do it I think have already been answered. He has been amazing two nights in a row and tonight he stood on his head. The Ducks had some very nice chances and he stayed with them all throughout.

I think if there was one disappointment I had, and this is minor, it was not enough was done to launch the 25th anniversary season during the opening night ceremony. I kind of wish they had honored some of the alumni, like Owen Nolan, Mike Ricci, and Rathji (Considering Vlasic beat his record of games played). Most of it was a video for the most part, but they did a good job bringing to light the Sharks history of why they are here. Also wish the Sharks could have worn the Heritage Jersey. Again, that was minor and this was an incredible night of Hockey.

I'm looking forward to my next game against the Islanders.

9. BlueStuff

Bolts get past Buffalo without allowing a goal from rookie phenom Eichel. McDavid and the Oilers are still looking for a first goal (that they score themselves).

Today (Monday), a few key games including another daytime game for Tampa, this time in Boston. Can the Jets keep winning? They have the NY Islanders who are still looking for their first win.

10. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Apparently the answer is no. :p

Islanders completely dominated the first 2 periods and the Jets took way too many penalties to stay in the game. Got better in the 3rd period, but not quite enough to tie it up to go to OT.

Rangers tomorrow and then finally have the home opener on Thursday.

11. BlueStuff

Bolts defeat Bruins 6-3, including a snipe from Stamkos recording his 500th career point. Winning streak could be about to end on the road at Detroit tonight. We'll see.

12. tomalak301

So far in the Eichal vs McDavid thing I've been more impressed by Eichal. It's early and I expect McDavid to be as advertised but that goal Eichal scored on Monday was a thing of beauty. As for the Sharks, that blown call should have ended the shut out streak but it's still going. Really do like what Jones has been doing so far.

13. BlueStuff

Bolts' streak did indeed end vs Red Wings, they have a chance to start another one at home vs Dallas tonight. Also, McDavid finally gets on the board, Avs and Jackets looking very bad so far, and the Coyotes are amazingly unbeaten.

Points of interest tonight: can the Habs set a franchise record by winning their fifth opening game against the NY Rangers? How will Ovechkin respond to being scratched last game, this time playing Chicago? And more importantly, will he set his alarm clock? Will McDavid and Eichel continue scoring against St Louis and the Panthers respectively?

14. BlueStuff

Habs still unbeaten, no. 1 in the league right now. Tonight they play the league's no. 2 in the St. Louis Blues at the Bell Centre. Tarasenko vs Price!

Bolts dropped two games against Detroit and Dallas, but bounced back against Buffalo. Tonight they play Nashville on the road.

15. BlueStuff

Last night Montreal extended their historic steak to 7-0-0, the Bolts lost a thriller to Nashville via SO, the Jackets are still looking for their first win, and Ovechkin passed 900 points.

16. BlueStuff

Columbus fire Todd Richards, bring in John Tortorella.

17. BlueStuff

Tampa defeat Jets in OT, but man that was close. Ehlers hit the iron on a breakaway with like 5 seconds left in regulation...

18. BlueStuff

Perpetual bane of my existence Jonathan Toews (I also like the Canucks) scores against Tampa in OT. Next game on the road at St Louis.

Other news - Habs still unbeaten, streak at 9-0-0. Columbus get their first win.

19. tomalak301

I really hope the Habs lose a game soon. They are unbelievably good.

20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral