Janeways Ready Room

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Defiant Obrien, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XweAponX

XweAponX Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i’m watching the Omega directive right now, and the table is a darker green, unless that is some trick of lighting.

viewed from certain angles, it does look a lot like the defiant, not so much when looking down from above, but when you are looking at the room from head on, very reminiscent.

Lynx likes this.
  2. XweAponX

yes!!

now that I think about it, but then again, the Cardassian symbol always reminded me of a tadpole… i’m just wondering are Cardassians amphibious or reptilian?

3. XweAponX

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

They seem reptilian to me. Reptiles are about the scales: amphibians are more smooth skin and slime... think Voyager salamanders.

XweAponX likes this.
  5. XweAponX

snake-like is how they are depicted on WikiStikipedia…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardassian

We know that Betazoids had some Amphibious dna per the TNG ep where broccoli devolved into a spider… (I always loved that ep, direct references to Alien. Finding the skin…)

the Cardassian emblem always reminded me of a tadpole which was why I momentarily thought “hey, are they amphibious”, but then amphibians are not fond of dry heat like the bloody cardies…

lol that you would mention Janeway’s and Paris’ evolved state, I just watched that. Very good animatronics unless they had kids or small folks wearing those skins.

in fact the emblem represents their Galor-Class ships. Which are ugly as blazes!

[​IMG]

6. XweAponX

Haha!

is there a thread in here that discusses threshold? I thought that episode was absolutely hilarious and totally awesome, Robert Duncan McNeil is a comedic genius…

Summer Solstice and Lynx like this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Probably several, though I don't know if there's one that's under a year old.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is a reason why I don't find Threshold that bad or annoying. There are far worse episodes.
    If you just imagine the episode being a nightmare Tom Paris had after eating too much of Neelix's food, then it's actually both funny and entertaining.

XweAponX likes this.
  9. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"TWISTED", "FALSE PROFITS", "BLOOD FEVER", "FAVORITE SON", "THE FIGHT", "SPIRIT FOLK", "FURY", "UNIMATRIX ZERO", "UNIMATRIX ZERO, PART II", "INSIDE MAN"...

Yes, there are definitely episodes much worse than "THRESHOLD". It doesn't even crack the top 10 of worst VGR episodes.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    Summer Solstice likes this.
  10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That was my head canon until "Prodigy".

11. Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice Captain Captain

Yes it's darker green, but I think the lighting is quite dark throughout that episode.

Totally agree. It somehow works because although the story is ridiculous, the acting is amazing. I don't think they used CGI for that episode, all the Paris-salamander effects are makeup.

The unimatrix zero idea was a solid one, it's just that voluntarily being assimilated is... odd.

XweAponX likes this.
  12. XweAponX

honestly, what’s wrong with any of those episodes? I thought twisted was rather interesting. And I just watched favorite son, it has some problems, but it’s basically a retelling of the old siren myth.

I thought inside man was probably one of the best doctor episodes…

and I really liked Fury… Blood Fury introduces the Borg into voyageurs path… and both of the Fairhaven episodes were great… including the backwards harp on the pub. Haha.

When it comes to “the fight“, I found that a highly unique episode which taps Robert Beltrans boxing background to explain a life form that was so different that they couldn’t be communicated with unless you had a very rare genetic anomaly. Plus, it was a Boothby episode.

I thought it was brilliant that species 867-5309 used him in their fake federation station…

13. XweAponX

Ah, no worries, I have no plans on resurrecting any other old threads. I just didn’t know where to ask that question about the table.

grr, I can’t edit typos!

14. XweAponX

I don’t think they used CGI in Voyager until “the basics”, when they introduced that weird lizard snake monster, with arms around the head. That was a pretty twisted monster. Too bad about Hogan, but then they actually used that later when those dinosaur-aliens found his bones…

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I kind of liked Twisted as well... it was an intriguing concept, the doors on the ship not leading where they were supposed to. And the final scene in Sandrine's was really cool.

What killed Favorite Son was that it was supposed to be Harry's "Nog joins Starfleet" episode, i.e. it was supposed to take the character in a new direction. Some highly placed member of the powers that be vetoed this, and the ultimate result was one of Trek's most stagnant characters. Others may be Ok with it for what it was, but I can't: it should have been more.

And Barclay isn't half bad as a holographic baddie... don't think he ever got to do that before, did he? Plus, Deanna. I sometimes think I liked her better in VOY than in TNG.

Have you seen this? It's a great fanvid for those of us with a bit of a soft spot for Fair Haven...

16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts on these episodes...

"TWISTED" - A sentient twisting phenomenon... interesting premise, but the episode was just everyone walking around in circles. And Neelix's jealous streak was high here.

"FALSE PROFITS" - While Arridor and Kol were an easy follow up story from TNG's "The Price", a lot of bad tropes just completely ruin this episode. Crew almost gets home, primitive society held hostage by someone, ship's security looking like fools... terrible episode.

"BLOOD FEVER" - A half Klingon going through the Vulcan pon farr? It was ridiculous.

"FAVORITE SON" - The Taresians go all the way to Earth and Kim gets born, and by some miracle he found his way back 'home'? The fact the crew fell for this in the first half shows how inept they could be.

"THE FIGHT" - Chaotic Space is an interesting premise, but the execution was so bad with the quick cuts of all the people talking.

"SPIRIT FOLK" - I really need to explain why this one is bad?

"FURY" - Actively destroys a former lead character.

"UNIMATRIX ZERO" - Final nail in the coffin of the Borg being a credible threat. Voyager goes up against a TACTICAL CUBE and Janeway gets assimilated ON PURPOSE? That actively annihilates the terror and horror of assimilation and everything Picard, Seven, and any former Borg went through.

"UNIMATRIX ZERO, PART II" - Same problems as the first part.

"INSIDE MAN" - It was just a bad Ferengi episode with a ludicrously bad Ferengi scheme.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    Lynx and Oddish like this.
  17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

A better way for this was was just to admit from the beginning that Kim's "changes" were caused by a retrovirus. He just happened to be compatible. And if they wanted to make him an alien, just explain that the Doc can't reverse the changes.

18. XweAponX

I’m watching Extreme Risk, in bright lighting the table is the same dark green. The same dark green as my defiant… funny, The enterprise D was kind of a light blue, on TV they look white… at least my La Sirena is red…

I agree that there are problems with just about every episode of Voyager, deep space nine and next generation, and enterprise don’t get me started on enterprise especially the last episode. You would think after spending 10 years on the enterprise Tripp would be able to avoid being coldcocked by alien gang bangers. But I always thought that they could have just made another Sim and they could have done the little operation that the first Sim thought of, to give him a regular lifespan.

But I always found it more enjoyable just to have some kind of level of suspension of disbelief I would suppose.

Favorite son? Of course, it’s ludicrous. That aliens would fly all the way to earth and impregnate harry’s mother and then fly back. But the enjoyable thing isn’t that Voyager crew, and Harry were both suckers. The enjoyable thing was seeing all of those Amazonian women, including Kristiana Lokken. Well, now that I think about it, she was the only really good one. But then again, those were mostly Stuntwomen, because you see Pat Tallman in there, too. She’s great.

it was also enjoyable to see Harry figure it out, and then be exposed to the corpse of that unfortunate guy… there were some truly horrific aspects to that… you get exposed to this possible culture that is “yours” and then you find out it is a lie and that they just want to use you to suck all of your juices out. Shudder.

And you have to remember who was in the inside man episode, that was the original Bok. But he was also Daemon Togg. Funny, Ethan was in that episode too… what was that actors name, Frank Corsento or something. That guy being in the episode made it swell.

And then Brocolli figures out how to out Ferengi them.

Now what was that other complaint, Bellana, being affected by a Vulcan pon Farr? Well, why the hell not? Vorick grabbed her by the head and sent violent sexual impulses right into her brain.

The effects were subtle at first, and then she was no longer being driven by any impulse she may have picked up from Vorick, at the end it was her own Klingon libido, and Ghod save Tom Paris!

So nah, it’s believable… you don’t even have to think about it that much, because of that initial violation by Vorick substantiates it.

I can’t even fathom the complaints about Unimatrix. It was great to see Beta Queen Susanna Thompson lose again… and she lost so badly that they had to bring back Alice Krige!

These are like my favorite episodes of Voyager and I suppose mostly because other people have knitpicked them to pieces on IMDb, some of the people over there are pretty illiterate. I know some of these complaints here are at least well thought out and not just “Discovery Sucks” (it does not especially season 2) but then again on the other side, you have this suspension of disbelief, which, if applied, then you can see a logical reason why a problematic episode would work.

Consider this, in The Raven, 7 of 69 is compelled to follow a signal to her parents ship.

Then, suddenly, after that, even though not much time was spent at that ship, they have access to all of the logs from that ship. Was Tom Paris downloading the logs while he was being bombarded by phasers from the Bomar? Or maybe Voyager did it, Tuvix was sneaky fast he saw logs, and he thought oh wow, I’m going to steal these… and then all of a sudden voyager has the complete history of Annika Hansen.

They should have made some effort to put that into The Raven, that there were logs and they should get them, instead of giving Gimli the dwarf screen time - maybe even 7 of 69, while rummaging around on the bridge of that beaten up ship, maybe she found a port that she was able to plug into. Now, if this were Battlestar Galactica, it would have been a USB port no doubt ha ha. But you have to think if she found logs she would have downloaded them and she could have done it quickly.

So there is always a way of suspending disbelief, even in the face of these unsurmountable… is that the right word? Insurmountable issues with episodes.

Now when you consider Fairhaven, who created that hollowdeck program? it was Tom Paris of course and is he Irish? He is about as Irish as national velvet was as a film…

And so he designed Fairhaven and the people in it with all kinds of mistakes, but so what? It was fun and it was funny.

19. XweAponX

So this was actually a thing then, they were literally going to turn Harry Kim into a Chorizoean? Taurisian? Whaddeva…

that would have been interesting if they could have made that story about flying to earth and back believable, and if those women were not simply parasites.

but as it is, there is too much coincidence, they go to earth? They cause hairy Kim to be born? To join Starfleet, and to get lost in the Delta quadrant? They PLANNED all that?

I agree that is very problematic. They should have figured out some other way of making him an alien, but that was ridiculous.

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Taresian. Yes. What happened is that someone at Voyager's planning department actually had a shred of competence, and realized that the "young Ensign Kim" trope had about run its course. Harry needed a course change, something equivalent to Nog going from juvenile delinquent to Starfleet cadet. So, the idea came up to make him an alien, and it was still planned while the episode was in the early stages of filming. However, at that point, one of the incompetents who really ran Voyager (the ones who couldn't count to 38 or understand that an ensign is supposed to make lieutenant) stepped in and pulled the plug on that. They rewrote the episode so Harry was human, and no one ever thought of developing the character again.

XweAponX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.