Latest Gay Celebrity Outing

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gryffindorian, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you probably know your buddy more than do the rest of us. But just because a person is gay or gay_friendly doesn't mean they are incapable of saying negative things about LGBT people or homosexuality in general. I believe that was the original point.

Edit: Response to NF

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What intent? I just said I'd done gay stuff. I wasn't trying to hate monger in some incredibly subversive, unconventional way by using that term. That's just how people fucking talk.

I'm done because this is bonkers. Fucking bonkers. I'd apologise for any offence caused, but I'm not. Anybody offended by me describing my male sexual experiences as "gay" acts is just milking my tolerance-nipples raw to feed their own feral ego.

3. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Why the fuck do you keep bringing up "the community"? He's obviously not part of any kind of community; he's just had same-sex experiences. Finding other people who share similar interests and forming a community/sub-culture can be a great and empowering thing, but when people start doubting someone else's experiences because they didn't use the same words as you, it's no different from the exclusionary Cool Kids bullies of high school movies.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see how saying, "I've done gay stuff" is any different than saying "I've had some same sex experiences". It sounds a little more down to earth really.

And I can totally see a gay person saying "I've done straight stuff". It just means you've been there but it's not your main identity.

5. Nagisa Furukawa

Yup, just a down to earth, casual way of referring to what he's done in the past is exactly what I took from his posts, not "Ah-ha! He used the wrong words therefore he's obviously a liar!"

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, does DalekJim call you on the phone whenever he gets in an internet argument? It's just uncanny how fast you show up to help him out every time.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good night and good luck.

No bullying here, just making an assessment based on what I've seen in this thread. He is free to explain what he meant, and I would listen to that explanation. Instead, he's chosen to throw a fit. That is his prerogative, of course, but it doesn't help him.

To me, "I've done gay stuff" sounds like "I've got black friends," which is something I often hear from people like my quite racist extended family when they wish to justify behaviors and statements that can be seen as bigoted or ignorant.

I could be wrong, of course, and I'm always open to the possibility that I am wrong, but that is what I've assessed by reading this thread.

8. Nagisa Furukawa

Online chat, actually. And there's usually a fair amount of posts he usually goes through in a debate and I read with no intention of entering before I see something from someone that I find so ridiculous I can't help but comment on, this time being the idea that there's something wrong with DalekJim simply because of the number of people who told him he's wrong and later because of the implication that due to his terminology, DalekJim lied about his personal life.

9. teacake

So you haven't done gay stuff?

Do you want to do gay stuff?

I thought you (J. Allen) liked pan stuff!

See, it really depends on who says it. Sometimes it's tempting to read everything badly if you already think someone is a tool. But it's not always helpful to do that in my opinion.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember Heathers?

Buying bottled water used to qualify as "I've done gay stuff"

11. DalekJim

What have I actually said that is homophobic? What opinion would I even be trying to justify? I have no agenda here, I've repeatedly stated my views on homosexuality. I have some conservative political views, but on what would be termed "social issues" such as sexuality and drug use, I'm as "liberal" as they come.

Christian Slater's best role, not counting his iconic scene in Star Trek VI.

12. Nagisa Furukawa

Well, implying that someone's a liar does tend to irritate people I've noticed.

:rolleyes: His reaction to getting accused of being false doesn't have anything to do with the truth of his statement one way or another. Innocent people can get guilty and guilt people can be smooth as a sailor.

13. Amaris

That's a fair point, and I could have been filtering the words through too much of my own bias.

I will say that it is the first time I have ever heard anyone use the term "gay stuff," outside of an insult, so my own experiences may have colored it as well.

14. teacake

Smooth as a sailor?

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well there's one of my favorite quotes from Justified:

"Run into an asshole in the morning , well, you ran into an asshole. Run into assholes all day long, guess what? You're the asshole".

Which is basically what DalekJim is being told.

16. DalekJim

Well, all I see are a bunch of people calling me homophobic, despite me not having made a single homophobic post, whether in this thread or in others. I'm not going to let some kind of warped democracy pressure me in to admitting I'm something I'm not.

The truth is not up to a vote.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  17. Guy Gardener

Yes it is.

The truth is completely subjective.

18. Amaris

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say, "I'm not racist, but..." and then proceed to say something racist. Yet they believe they're still not racist. They don't understand why it might bother someone of differing skin color, or orientation, when they say something they think is "just telling it like it is," and they can't even entertain the notion that maybe they've spouted something in pure ignorance, and then reinforced it with their stubborn point of view instead of realizing that maybe, just maybe, they're stepping on more toes than they thought. I see comments of "you should step back and take a look," but I don't see you taking that advice. Instead, you're digging yourself deeper, because you believe you're right.

19. Guy Gardener

The first step to enlightenment is to admit that you know nothing.

Step two is yoga.

Step 3 through 80 depends on how your parents screwed you up.

Step 81 is have a nap.

Just 82 steps to enlightenment.

Fuck yeah!

20. teacake

But if we just stop after step one everyone will leave us alone, we will be too stupid for enlightenment and so have achieved the sneaky enlightenment of those that gave up and were happy.