Should Davros return at some point?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Doctorwhovian, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I was also surprised to see they have a much greater volume of classic series episodes than Netflix ever did. While they don't have every story, the do have a huge amount of episodes from almost every season, the only season completely missing is the 'Trial of a Timelord' season.

2. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I am old-school. I like having physical copies of the shows, so I have built up a library of the original Doctor Who. I will be complete up to Season 17 by week's end. For the later seasons, I don't have episodes from The Trial of the Time-Lord and Season 26 and the Movie, and are missing serials from the other seasons. I think I will have the complete classic Doctor Who next year.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Minus the 97 missing episode, of course,

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Those are the easiest, you can download the Recons from Youtube and burn to disk.

5. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Davros but I'm not sure how he could top his diabolical reality bomb plot. It seems like a bit of a comedown if he returns and says "I'm going to rule this galaxy". At the very least the Doctor would tease him about it!

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Presumably first strike from the Time Lord's perspective, not necessarily the Dalek's.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Timelord's 14th strike, made earlier in time than the other 13, would then be their "first strike".

It's maddening I tell you.

8. Ithekro

Which would make one wonder about all those times the Doctor supposedly wiped them out during his First and Second incarnations. The Doctor basically made it possible for the Daleks to be killed on Skaro in his first encounter with them, and it is unclear when that what for the Daleks. Then much later the Doctor insights a Civil War by making Daleks that question authority resulting (seemingly) in the end of the Daleks and their Emperor (it was suppose to be their last Doctor Who, "Dalek story" before Terry Nation was going to try to sell the Daleks to the Americans as a series concept).

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think the only way to make it work is to believe that both the Daleks and the Timelords have pretty effective temporal shielding of some kind (apologies for going all star Trek) and that as such they’re probing for chinks in the armour. Dropping the 4th Doctor onto Skaro for the birth of the Daleks was one such chink, but there was no way to drop back earlier to take out a younger Davoros. Hence there’s no way to do the Curse of Fatal Death “Well I went back and bribed him earlier”

10. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though I use his name here, I think he should have stayed dead after Genesis Of The Daleks.

11. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would love a davros story of just him going solo. Maybe a 2 parter where we don't have a clue it's him until the end of part 1 or the end of part 2. I love the daleks and cybermen. But they been used way too often!! They need to take a break for 2 or 3 seasons. Loved the ice warrior comeback.

As someone said earlier the more you use a villain the more they get stale. Bring up star trek, the romulans were always my favorite. They had a mystery to them. Let's give exterminate! And affirmative a break for awhile! Although I'm game for a solo darvos outing.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Daleks are never going to take a break of two or three seasons. Regardless if there's any truth to the story that BBC's deal with the Nation Estate requires the Daleks to be used every year or if that is bogus horseshit, it's obvious someone is of the opinion the Daleks are needed every year, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the pointless Dalek cameos in Waters of Mars or The Wedding of River Song. And indeed, it can be argued that among the casual "Not We" bunch Daleks are expected to be there every year. I can believe we might possibly some day go a season without any Daleks, but should that happen they'd definitely be back in force the next year.

People often argue the classic era went years without Daleks, and certainly during the JNT era we only had one Dalek appearance per Doctor, but I'm of the opinion that had more to do with Terry Nation being difficult to work with than anything else.

13. Ithekro

Plus there are probably a bunch of writers and directors that want to do a Dalek story.

14. One Lucky Red Shirt

Davros would be cool solo for a change. No daleks!! But Then go 2 or 3 seasons without them. Don't get me wrong I love the daleks. Series 1&2 were cool. But only 13 episodes a season 2-3 episodes of daleks and cybermen is a bit too much. But then again the trek films had Klingons In every film and used them like crazy. Only time will tell..

15. One Lucky Red Shirt

Yeah I see your point on that. But instead of the writers/directors/producers/BBC trying to outdo themselves with who can do the best with dalek and cybermen stories shouldn't they be more focused on original storylines and original/less known villains?

16. Ithekro

Certain people have that one Dalek story they've always wanted to do. Considering how long the show has been around and how large the fanbase is among those that might be tapped to write or direct, you get at least one new Dalek story a year (produced or not).

17. The Wormhole

Daleks are really popular. in the classic era, there were two types of Who fans, the one who faithfully watched every episode, and the ones who only tuned in for "Daleks and regenerations." Dalek episodes are the highest rated of every season, and Dalek merchandise is the best selling of DW merchandise. BBC has even been pushing for a Dalek season premiere since the show came back in 2005, and finally got their wish in 2012 with Asylum of the Daleks. There is always going to be a Dalek episode is some manner every season.

And in addition to Daleks attracting writers and directors, they can also bring in big name guest stars. Daleks are considered iconic enough in the UK that you can literally have a well-known actor on the fence about being in a Doctor Who episode that as soon as they find out it's a Dalek episode they'll make their decision an emphatic yes..

Cybermen were used sparingly in the RTD era, and indeed after Doomsday aired in July 2006 the next Cybermen episode was two years later with The Next Doctor on Christmas 2008. We've seen as much Cybermen as we have since Moffat took over because he is a self-confessed uberfan of the Cybermen, therefore making it likely we'll continue seeing them on a regular basis while he remains showrunner.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Of course Davros will return but I don't see people lined up to write or direct Dalek stories.

19. One Lucky Red Shirt

If there has to be dalek stories every season, at least do one with davros origin. Maybe at the very beginning of doc who find a lost history tape or something. Then play it and the whole episode is about davros origin or something to that nature. I love the daleks and cybermen stories. There so much to explore in the doc who universe though besides those 2.

20. The Wormhole

A Davros origin was written for Journey's End but ended up being cut from the script before it was filmed. The scripted version of the scene is printed in The Writer's Tale.