Misunderstood Dialog

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by allstar77, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe the line you're looking for is ``you show me a son that'd be happy to help'' (Khan, in the task of killing Kirk).

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep.

Carol: "Please tell me what you're feeling?"

Kirk: "There's a man out there I haven't seen in fifteen years who's trying to kill me. You've shown me a son who'd be happy to help him. How am I feeling? Old. Worn out."

Carol: "Let me show you something that will make you feel young as when the world was new."

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard that Doohan's peculiar emphasis on the word "Vulcan" was on purpose so it might sound almost like something else. :eek:

Kor

4. The Toddler

The Toddler Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm also part of the "Sir, it's from astern" and "opposite thinking" crowd.

On my first few viewings of Star Trek II, due to Chekov and Khan's accents in saying Botany Bay, I thought Khan's group was called the "Potten Impay."

I also thought that Kirk's first words to McCoy were "position: here lies self" rather than "physician, heal thyself."

In "The Cage," I was confused by Leonard Nimoy's pronounciation of "can't" in "can't be the screen, then" at the beginning. Since the screen beeps and fluctuates immediately after he says it, I thought he gave a command to "conn-vee the screen, then," as if that was some kind of screen refreshing procedure.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. Because I don't think Shatner said the "him" in that line, I realize that I've been misinterpreting it all these years.

I was taking it to mean "David would be happy to help [me defeat Khan]" with sort of an unspoken "...if only the circumstances were different" at the end. I took it as Kirk bemoaning that he had a son that ended up so unlike him. David could've very easily grown up to be a James T. Kirk Junior if his father had been an influence in his life.

Obviously, I was wrong, but it made sense to me. :)

6. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

I always heard Spock's line as "Can (prounounced "Con") it be the screen then?"

7. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apparently, there's a bunch of fans who strangely heard the word "pants" out of context. :razz:

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Since "notify" is a transitive verb, the line as spoken does make it sound as if there's a ship (or some other entity) called "the discovery." Kirk should have said "notify Starfleet Command of the discovery."