Why Star Trek Sucks

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

That's General Order 74, to be carried out whenever the props and costumes budget is running low. Its predecessor in Jim Kirk's era was General Order 21, requiring the ship to visit a planet with a culture coincidentally just like some period of Earth's history. Guess they must have run out of those. :p

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We do see the crews engaging in hobbies outside of the holodeck. Sulu had a series of hobbies, Beverly did stage plays, Riker played music, Picard dabbled in archeology and tried painting, Sisko built a few models, Paris had a interest in history.

:)

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was memorably extreme. Agreed that Bashir/O'Brien, Quark and Tom Paris especially brought the tone more down-to-Earth.
    I like Trek and in particular TNG in part because I don't think it's entirely realistic for how we could live today but provides well-done, thought-provoking ideals, some that we should live by already and some that we can make progress toward.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I give the first season credit for attempting to present a future which is different than our own present. However, some of these differences are things I would hope we never obtain, and I personally see as negatives (the differences weren't all first season).

People will have no fear of death. It's considered odd that a child would mourn the death of a parent. People will have no desire to have possessions.

Those are just a few examples.

:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I do like the idea that people don't fritter their time away like we are doing right now and have purpose to their action. But I find the writers' conceit that the only types of entertainment worth pursuing are those which require years of technical education to be kind of ridiculous. Because that has an 'Intellectual superiority of the rich and educated' connotation.

6. MontgomeryScott

MontgomeryScott Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would say that the movie Shades of Grey was worse than either one.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Please take a moment to read the posting rules (linked at the top of the forum).

This thread has been dead for 4 years.

Let's let it rest in peace.

320x240_zpsbe2d00f7.jpg

"Hailing Frequencies Closed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.