Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

For a story that has mass appeal, The Death of Superman has tons of goofy, unexplained things from the 1990s continuity: Matrix Supergirl, the War Worlders, Jimmy Olsen dressed as a Turtle, Bloodwynd, Redhead Australian Luthor. I can't imagine what Theoretical Casual Buyer thought of it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That is a fantastic description.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye, I've long advocated such an approach - just do an alternate-universe story in which the Els had a daughter instead of Clark, and go from there.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

You left out Bibbo. ;)

And Trekker4747, who described the Matrix Supergirl as "some nubile teenage girl," is a little off. At that point in time, she was in appearance in her early 20s. It wasn't until she merged with Linda Danvers that Matrix became a teenager in body.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

This reminds me why I dont read Peter David anymore.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't remember if he was in The Death of Superman or if we had to wait until World Without a Superman for his incessant appearances, and I was too lazy to even check my own review of the book to find out.

Besides, Bibbo is self-explanatory... he's just obnoxious.

What no amount of Wikipedia reading can justify, though, is why Jon Bognadove received gainful employment at DC Comics.

I haven't read it, but that description sounds amazing to me.

8. Admiral_Young

It has been my impression that the Peter David run on "Supergirl" was actually critically acclaimed by fans.

9. Nerys Myk

Didn't care for it myself. Came across as a story he wanted to tell that he grafted on to Supergirl rather than a Supergirl story.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

So was Matrix Supergirl an ancestor of Proty?

11. Admiral_Young

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No just critically acclaimed by the same 20k readers who will buy his stuff regardless of the actual content. See X-Factor.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I was that buyer! The Death of Superman got me into comics in the first place when I was a kid. I had no idea what was going on, but I loved every minute of it. Of course, later on, I started to pick stuff up like why Lex Luther was generally liked by everybody and had red hair and a beard.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Same. I had almost every single issue of the run and a lot from the Bryne run. I remember being mesmerized by the Superman: Exile story line.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I understood that stuff happened when I wasn't reading these titles and I quickly adapted. Lex Luthor II must have been explained, because I got his backstory somehow.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, same here.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That one's easy. :)

Louise Simonson and Jon Bogdanove had been working together for years at Marvel, on things from New Mutants to (mainly) Power Pack. Based on the strength of their work together at Marvel, DC put them on a high-profile book -- the new Superman: Man of Steel -- when Mike Carlin lured the team away from the House of Ideas. Both Simonson and Bogdanove were considered major "gets" for DC at a time when DC really needed to make a splash.

Bogdanove's work on Man of Steel was different than anything else going on in the Superman books at the time, and it didn't mesh well with Dan Jurgens' work on Superman and Jerry Ordway and Tom Grummett's work on Adventures. I remember a friend of mine complaining about Bogdanove's work at the time for precisely that reason. I, personally, loved it because it really did have a different feel. Bogdanove was and is a seriously hardcore Superman fan -- his son is named Kal-El -- and I thought his artwork took after Wayne Boring, rather than Curt Swan or Murphy Anderson, which is what gave it such a distinctive look for the time.

18. Nerys Myk

Yeah, I liked Bogdanove's Superman, too. As you say it had some of Borings look and touch of the Shuster Studio. I beleive Boring was a member of that studio, so maybe thats the same thing.

19. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is much like adults speaking in a Charlie Brown cartoon. Y'all seem to understand what's going on, but all I hear is a muted trombone.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Mission accomplished.

Me, I thought Weezie and Bog were all right on Power Pack, but way out of place on Superman. Both the writing and the art.

Of course, I wasn't too keen on Jurgens' writing, either.