Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, maybe you shouldn't make the effort to find Time Flight... Any lost copies can only be a good thing.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Nah they're all in Kraplakistan and Dr Evil has them all. He'll sell for a price though...

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why would his sofa be in Sierra Leone?

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oooh, maybe we fans should all chip in to purchase them

Ah, good point :guffaw:

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

After the cats are done with it, Bashar Assad has made me a good offer for it...

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sofa fell through a hole in time. They do that a lot, at least when Douglas Adams was still writing.

7. Christopher

^I thought that was Eddy's sofa.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Aww. I kinda like "Time-Flight." Anything with the Master in it is at least salvagable. And I like how most of the guest stars are trying to make the most out of trying to understand where they are considering all this space-time stuff is pretty new to them.

9. diankra

My problem with Timeflight is... well, there's lots, but the big one is...
    It 's Concorde! But it might as well be any old plane. The passengers should be a collection of rockstars, movie stars, billionaires and politicians, and at least one of them should be the reason the Master targetted that particular plane.
    But no... it's just chance he got a Concorde. And a professor from Darlington University is the most notable person aboard.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Also, why is the Master in that stupid disguise? Storywise and characterwise there's no reason - it's just to give a rubber-ripping cliffhanger. Daft.

11. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And they don't even attempt to explain it, either. Its as if the Master has become a master of disguise for, well, the hell of it.

Furthermore, its a sad excuse of a serial to follow-up directly from Earthshock. I know they didn't do emotion of proper characterization back in the 80's Who, but I would like to think that Time-Flight is not exactly the best seasons finale they could've come up with.

In fact, I don't think I like it almost at all - OK, I like all Heathrow scenes, I guess, and surely the first TARDIS scene, and Tegan's "accidental" exit, but otherwise... a rather boring, nonsensical affair.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Back on the subject of legitimately missing episodes, Ian Levine has been venting about how much the BBC is disappointing him in this anniversary year, and when asked specifically and explicitly about the missing episodes on Twitter he wrote this:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled criticism of the JNT era. :)

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, Ian Levine. Never disappoints. :lol:

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I just don't know anymore. Up until the comment by David Stead I was in the this-is-all-bollocks camp but David is an honest guy and wouldn't come and say anything unless he believed it. so...

I guess by the end of November we'll know.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been clear for a while now that a long of big-name fans sincerely believe the rumors are true. I just don't know what that's really worth. In 1992, a lot of people sincerely believed that episode 4 of "The Tenth Planet" had been found. A few years back, someone managed to convince Ian Levine they had a copy of "The Wall of Lies."

Stead says he heard about these recoveries from the same source that told him about "Air Lock" and UM2 shortly before they were announced. (Which Paul Vanezis subsequently misled him about, causing a resentment that has colored Stead's response to these rumors and Vanezis' comments on them.) So it's coming from people who have had accurate advance information before. But being right once doesn't make you right all the time, as all the previously accurate spoiler sources who reported that David Tennant had signed up for series five could tell you.

I would love to believe something has been recovered. But the version that virtually everyone is spreading is still 90 episodes, and that's impossible to credit, especially in the absence of any explanation of where they all came from or why the secret plans to release them don't involve anyone who's worked on Doctor Who DVDs before.

16. diankra

Just when we thought it couldn't get any more insane, there's this, from one of Britain's Sunday newspapers.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474
    Yep, all 106. Including Masterplan 7 (or maybe the original version of The Dead Planet, or the original versions of Crisis and The rge to Live. Which would bring it up to 109 episodes).
    Or maybe not.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what else is in Ethiopia?

The Ark of the Covenant.

No, really! The Ethiopian Orthodox Church claims to have it in the holy city of Axum. I guess what Indiana Jones found was a fake. :)

Well, that's certainly an interesting article. And I'm curious to see if there's any official reaction to it. To some extent, internet chatter could be ignored, but now there's something in print from one of the papers. Sunday People alone might possibly be ignored, but what if reporters start digging into this and start asking questions? Will there be people at the Torygraph and the Grauniad tomorrow going, "Damn, we've been scooped by the Mirror?" Would that turn up the heat? And if there has been a discovery, would the snooping around prompt the BBC into a hasty announcement? (Which, based on past experience, seems to be about the only kind of announcement the BBC knows how to do.)

If the article's legit, it's interesting. If the article is a plant by a fan to force the BBC's hand, I salute his/her industriousness. :)

18. Christopher

In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if the papers just picked up the Internet rumors and printed them as fact without bothering with fact-checking or anything else resembling actual journalism.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'd love to believe there's something to the rumor, and there really is some [reasonable] number of episodes being negotiated for, but, would they really keep releasing animated episodes if they had the whole lot within an inch of their possession?

20. Christopher

If they'd already paid for making them, they wouldn't want to waste that investment. Animation takes a long time to make; the process could've been started before any new discoveries were made.

Not that I believe there are any new discoveries; I just think it's theoretically possible that they might still release the animated versions even if there were.