Star Trek: Into Darkness Discussion [**NO SPOILERS PLEASE**]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Amaris, May 10, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes there were
    Alexander Marcus' previous posting, Mudd's trader ship (and Mudd was namedropped), Cupcake's surname of Hendorff (confirming he was from "The Apple"), Spock's risk-taking (after the comics' version of "The Galileo Seven"), Section 31 (who'd been trying to recruit Sulu in the comics, etc
    but none were particularly crucial.

2. borgmatrix

borgmatrix Ensign Newbie

I'm in the Columbus area, doing the regal double feature tomorrow ('09 movie starts at 9, I think?).

Part of me cannot wait. Another part is saying "hold up...once its over, it'll be 3 years until the next." So I'm trying to appreciate this period while it lasts. Watched Space Seed and TWOK last week. TSFS two nights ago. Parts of the Nemesis space battle yesterday. Feel like watching more ST tonight, though don't know what.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  3. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Regal cinemas near me are doing a double feature of ST09 at 9:00 on Wednesday and STID at midnight...already got my tickets...and have warned my students that I might be a bit fatigued at school on Thursday...

4. borgmatrix

borgmatrix Ensign Newbie

Yeah, I remember having a rough day at work after seeing the Dark Knight trilogy last year. With TDKR being almost 3 hours, didn't leave much time to sleep before work. I think I can probably be out of work early enough, though, to get in a nap before heading to the theater this time.

Do you know if both movies will be shown in 3D, or just STID?

5. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The theater told me that both will be in 2D...which is fine with me because I'd rather watch it the first time in 2D anyway...they are having multiple other screenings at midnight as well as the 3D IMAX fan screening too...but the novelty of getting to see them both back to back won out over the other showings...

6. borgmatrix

borgmatrix Ensign Newbie

I think STID is going to be in 3D at my theater. I'll be seeing it again with my brother over the weekend, so I can see it in 2D then.

I agree that 3D or not doesn't really matter. Just liked the idea of the double feature and twice the fun at the theater.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see that the reviews are still holding up so far. And from the poll in the spoiler thread it looks like the majority are rating it a B or higher (which is pretty good considering how ultra-critical and nitpicky Trek fans can be).

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about some of the plot holes and story problems people have hinted at so far, but then I didn't have much issue with those in the previous movie (except perhaps for the supernova destroying Romulus thing) so I think I'll be okay here too.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Once I thought about Praxis, I didn't care...

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, no kidding. There's much to love about TUC, but the way the entire story hinges on the most ludicrous idea possible-- that the vast Klingon Empire would be completely crippled by the destruction of one planet or energy facility-- makes the plot holes in the last Trek movie seem almost trivial.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like our theater will be showing the advance screening in 2D, which is a relief. I wear glasses, and wasn't looking forward to a blurry, dark, wishy washy experience.