Which character has changed the least in the new universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lance, Feb 5, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another Kirk observation. He also seems to be a bigger klutz. Banging heads on rafters etc. However, Kirk prime could have been a klutz as well I suppose in his youth.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

To be fair, he was rather hungover. We've never seen Kirk Prime with a big hangover. As for those who say Spock is very different, I'm not so sure. How do we know Spock Prime did not react in much the same way as Spock regarding his appointment to the Vulcan Science Academy "despite your disadvantage"? We know Spock chose an unusual path--Starfleet--in each timeline. There is nothing to suggest he was any less "pissed off" in the original timeline. As for his subsequent "emotional" behaviour, well, there have been enough posts that reference things like "THE WOMEN", his smiling, his past with the woman from This Side of Paradise, the flirtations with Uhura in the early episodes, his smirking in early episodes, and others I'm surely forgetting, to point to a less than fully stoic Vulcan control over his feelings in the TOS era. That makes his even lower degree of stoicism understandable in ST09 as he is younger--and it is exacerbated by the experience of watching his mother die (something he was spared in the original timeline until much later).

In the end, I think Kirk is the most obviously changed character when we first meet him. Spock's experiences in the main body of the story set him up to be significantly changed going forward. McCoy seems pretty much the same, only younger. Scotty seems to be a more frivolous character, though youth comes into play there as well. The rest have very little to compare too, so are free to develop in various ways. All in all, apart from Kirk (and even there, there are many similarities with Kirk Prime), it's actually rather remarkable how they all resemble the prime characters, rather than deviate in nearly unrecognizable ways from them. Part of why I found the film so relatable to my memories and expectations of TOS-era Trek.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to Karl Urban, he adlibbed the "Bones" line at his audition, and everyone laughed so hard they added it to the script.

As with all the best nicknames that stick, they often have more than one meaning. Certainly the nicknames I had as a kid (and young adult) had several shades of meaning each, depending on who was saying, or overhearing, them.

BTW, Alan Dean Foster hated the "nothing left but my bones" reference and changed the line to "skeleton" in the movie's novelization.

In the audition. According to Urban at a Sydney convention a few weeks after the film's release. During actual filming, the script was "locked" due to a writers' strike.

4. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I'd go with McCoy he's not changed at all and loved how they explained in a little way why and how he got his nickname "Bones" !!!

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Easily McCoy.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

McCoy. He's practically the same. It's DeForrest reincarnated.

Kirk I think is totally different. Controversial maybe, but I think he's a bigger douche in this timeline. Shatner's Kirk had his douchey moments, but also his sensitive ones. Pine Kirk is very arrogant and douchey, and no wonder Spock wanted to punch him.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

[Picky Fan Mode]

Well, he seemed pretty hungover in TUC:

"You know anything about a radiation surge?"
    "Only the size of my head."
    "I know what you mean."

[/Picky Fan Mode]

8. DarthTom

There were also several other scenes where he came accross at least to me a little klutzie e.g. running form the monster on the planet where Spock prime was on and Scotty.

Just an impression.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When running from monsters, you're more concerned with getting away than scoring style points. ;)

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He didn't do one rolly-polly nor any zig-zagging during his evasive maneuvers vs. Baby Cloverfield. Clearly, a very different Kirk.:p

11. DarthTom

Kirk prime aka Bill Shatner didn't even run away from God. ;)

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if they ever made another prime universe show set in the 24th century you could slap on some 'old' makeup and have McCoy guest star again...

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

[DannyHuston]"No god."[/DannyHuston]

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

God wasn't trying to eat him.