Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is Q-Squared part of the Novelverse? I didn't think it was, since Trelane is never mentioned in the Q-heavy stories such as Q'uandary and The Eternal Tide. But then Q&A has this bit of narration:

This seems to mean that at the very least, Trelane is still considered a member of the Q Continuum in current continuity. Or am I reading it wrong?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think it's ambiguous enough to be considered an homage. Maybe it could be taken to mean the Continuum had an interaction with Trelane that they bungled somehow.

3. wildsulu

wildsulu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Dexter Remmick

Dexter Remmick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello all. Good day.

I am not sure if this is a good(proper) place for my query but here we go.

I am wondering if anyone here can drop some info for me about the alien parasites from the TNG episode Conspiracy. What novels they've appeared in, what order they should be read in(if any)?

Kilana2 has already mentioned; The Lives of Dax, Unity, Worlds of DS9: Trill, and Mission Gamma #4.

Thanks for any help.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think those are pretty much all there are.

6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Dexter Remmick

Dexter Remmick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks again Kilana2 and to you Christopher. I have just purchased those and am looking forward to some time with my kindle. After rewatching Conspiracy that is.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just keep in mind that if you only read those you'll be jumping around a lot in a series with an ongoing story arc.

9. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My good i am starting to feel like i will never catch up with the current lit verse i have read all tng till star trek TP struggle with in, Voyager till the eternal tide, i skipped some DS9 i read avatar then skipped to destiny. read titan Synthesis (Typhon Pact - Seize the Fire) currently reading DTI watching the clock but i have all the paperback that have come out unread on a self i finding the reading order getting more and more confusing every time i check it.

once i have read DTI watching the clock i believe i need to read DTI forgotten history then i read titan fallen gods and the typhoon pack final 3 books . then Voy protecter and acts of contusion.
    am i looking at the chart right or am i stuffing this up.

Gate11au

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Have you seen the flowchart in my signature? Just follow the arrows.

11. Gate11au

Thrawn ...I have looked at the chart and i just wanting to confirm i am reading it correctly so i can make sure i am on the right track to catch up on my star trek reading.

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

There aren't any arrows in between Fallen Gods, the last three Typhon Pact books, Protector/Acts, or DTI. If you've read everything before all of those, it doesn't matter what order you read those in; they're pretty independent stories. You just want to make sure you read Fallen Gods and Typhon Pact and Cold Equations before you start The Fall.

13. Gate11au

Thank you for the help i now now what i am doing thanks again not to find the time to get them all read and all the TOS book from the last 12 months and ENT book lol

14. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

^
    If you ever get confused on reading order again, you can always go with publication order.

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

So, I'm reading through Armageddon's Arrow right now and I'm curious about the post-The Fall reading order. I know it's only 5 books, with very little connective tissue so they can be read in any order but right now it seems to me to be:

Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found) eBook (I think technically it happens during The Fall)
    Absent Enemies eBook
    The Missing
    Takedown (According to the Historian's note this happens at the same time as The Missing but some dialogue suggests several months have passed since The Fall and Absent Enemies which doesn't jibe)
    The Light Fantastic (Sort of ambiguous, but Geordi's shore leave is mentioned in Armageddon's Arrow as being right before they left for long journey)
    Section 31: Disavowed
    Armageddon's Arrow

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  16. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

Thank you.
    After the historical note in Takedown I was wondering what to read first: Takedown or The Missing. But after reading your post I'll start with The Missing.

17. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

^ Glad to be of help, It's still a little tentative. I think Light Fantastic is the trickiest to accurately place because it happens over an expanse of time, but Geordi is in Takedown, which happens concurrently with The Missing, so there's not enough time for all of Light Fantastic to happen before hand.

It's looking a bit like this now.
    The Fall: Revelation & Dust
    The Fall: The Crimson Shadow
    DS9: Sacraments of Fire Section I (Follows on directly from R&D, doesn't broach CoL content)
    The Fall: Ceremony of Losses
    The Fall: The Poison Chalice
    The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms
    DS9: Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found) eBook
    Titan: Absent Enemies eBook
    DS9: The Missing (Happens a little before Takedown)
    TNG: Takedown (Happens a little after The Missing)
    TNG: The Light Fantastic (Covers November 2385-early 2386)
    DS9: Sacraments of Fire Sections II & III (Some amount of weeks after The Missing, in December 2385)
    Section 31: Disavowed
    TNG: Armageddon's Arrow

18. Ken1red

Ken1red Cadet Newbie

Hi, first timer here. Thanks for the great chart. Appreciate all the effort. I have a question. I hope this the right place to post it. Regarding the USS Lovell books. Is the first book "Foundations" an actual title? I read on Kindle and can't locate one by this title. I found the next two from the list. Help! What's "Foundations"?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The three books that introduced the USS Lovell and her crew were Foundations Book One, Book Two, and Book Three. The were then collected in the omnibus edition under the simple title Foundations.

20. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Hi there, I have a couple of questions about the novels I'm reading through, I hope this is the right place for it.

I haven't visited in a while, but I've still been enjoying periodic revisits into the worlds of ST, particularly TOS. I've been reading through a sequence of older TOS books from the 80's, which I've seen loosely described as the 80's novel continuity; IIRC Chrisopher Bennett described it as a very loose network of continuity anyway. A topic devoted to hashing out the links between these novels is the inspiration for reading these books. So far I've read through The Wounded Sky, The Final Reflection, My Enemy My Ally, and The Entropy Effect. Yesterdays Son and Dreadnaught! are the ones I'm considering for my next read through.

I'm wanting to get a full effect, so to a certain extent I'm favoring publication order when some books lead into others (so Diane Duane's books in publication order), but also wanting to jump ahead a little bit for some books that I'm guessing are more standalone (planning to jump ahead for Dreadnaught! as one of my next reads).

Some books I've slated for reading as a prelude to others; so for example Dreadnaught for story elements that influence the first Lost Years novel, or The Final Reflection and My Enemy My Ally before Dwellers in the Crucible.

Reading My Enemy My Ally was helpful in showing how the author re-used some characters from The Wounded Sky, but it didn't require reading The Wounded Sky. It made for a nice effect, seeing Lia Burke and Harb Tanzer, but it didn't go into specifics of what they did in TWS. So I'm wondering about other authors, when it comes to some of the later books that I want to read sooner, yet am contemplating prelude books to lead into them.

Returning to the Lost Years example, I plan to read Dreadnaughts very soon. And I also want to read Mindshadow, to familiarize myself with J.M. Dillard's original characters (a security chief?). So, I'm wondering if I can get away with just reading Mindshadow, or will I get a more full effect from reading Dillard's other TOS novels before tackling The Lost Years? Will I be okay with just Dreadnaught! before TLY, or should I also read Diane Carey's Battlestations as well to understand the Rittenhouse scandal?

When it comes to Time For Yesterday, will I be okay with The Vulcan Academy Murders, or will the IDIC Epidemic be helpful to have been read? I know Yesterday's Son is the obvious prelude, and I know it's described as a book that unifies a lot of the books that form the loose 80's continuity, but can it be fast-tracked to any extent (I know it can, I'm just wanting gauge the balance between fast-tracking versus playing a longer game for some of the later books).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016