(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

So long as Napoli get in there next year, or even win the Scudetto this season. They're the first Italian side I've ever liked.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About time, the Bundesliga's superior to Serie A and has been for years.

3. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Won't change things for the 2011/12 CL season.

It took a while because it's based on a five year ranking. The German Bundesliga has earned more points for the last four seasons than Serie A, so we should be able to keep it for a while, but we did have to wait for some bad years to fall out of that ranking.

By the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsEbf-o83fc

I didn't see it myself at first, but then :rofl:

4. Angel4576

Yeah - next year's co-efficient should be interesting - Germany's poor season disappears, along with Spain's brilliant one, so you should get closer still to them. Plus, we pull further away at the top. Sweet. :lol:

5. HappyDayRiot

Oh, Arsenal...

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

7. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

did arsenal have another defense malfunction? :guffaw:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Wenger will still insist he doesn't need to splash out on experienced players...

9. Angel4576

Congratulations to Birmingham, a totally deserved win.

You'd have to be gutted if you're an Arsenal fan, but that final goal was straight out of the keystone cops school of defending!

More importantly;

Sheff Utd 0 Derby 1

Thank fcuk for that! :lol:

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Aye, thank fuck for that!

Should calm a few nerves at least!

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Why are Carling Cup finals more entertaining than FA Cup Finals? I loved it really good match and nice to see the under dogs win...

I was watching with a friend who is an Arsenal fan and the SHOUT he gave as he watched the BIG FUCK up that allowed Martins to score the winner was priceless :guffaw:

----------------------------------------

Nice to see over the weekend the average IQ of the England squad with Rooney's elbow and Cashley's inability to use a gun properly :rolleyes:

12. Angel4576

Particularly true over the past 4 years. Personally, I think it's because Chelsea have dominated the FA Cup over that time, and for all intents and purposes, they're relatively boring to watch! :lol:

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^
    Ever since Jose left Chelsea, they have gotten SO boring, mainly in part to their primary squad get older and slower I feel...Under Jose they weren't Arsenal bu they had a spark in them for at least 2 years.

I really hope Chelsea and Man City both don't get a CL spot because imagine how boring the CL will be for English sides.

14. HappyDayRiot

It's true - since 2006, the Carling Cup final has been better than the FA Cup. And the CC final 2006 was brilliant as well... if it's the one I'm thinking of, Liverpool v Chelsea that went to extra time?

That Ashley Cole story is hilarious. If only they'd sacked him. What's he even doing with an airgun!?

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hey, I see Cardiff are signing Bywater on loan from us! Not surprised, he's been out of sorts for a while now, and there are rumours of a falling out with Clough. He isn't a bad keeper, but his kicking's awful! He's certifiable as well in the grand tradition of goalkeepers!

16. HappyDayRiot

Are we? Well I'd rather have got Kirkland really, but with Heaton carrying a groin strain and Marshall apparently needing surgery, I think Bywater would be a good inclusion. If he can't kick properly maybe he can distribute to our wingers faster and better than Heaton does - too much long ball that our forwards aren't good enough at getting on the end of!

17. Angel4576

All done. On loan to you until the end of the season, albeit with us retaining a 24 hour recall.

Can't say as I'm that bothered, very average IMO.

His distribution isn't great, but that's not the biggest failing, that's his inability to communicate with his defence.

Hopefully he'll do alright with you though, then you can have him for keeps in the summer..... ;)

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Crazy situation though, we loan a goalkeeper out and loan two keepers in?

Absolute madness!

19. Angel4576

Yeah, we've already brought in Matt Duke (another Burton old boy!).

I'm not that bothered. We'll try and do a permanent deal for Fielding in the summer and it's clear that Clough and Bywater aren't getting on.

Bywater's an 'ok' keeper, but with obvious flaws, and he's still on Premier League wages so he's not exactly value for money IMO.

Good business for us this I think.

Of course all of this has deflected us away from the obvious problem area at the moment, LB!

Plus, Ben Pringle's gone out on loan for the rest of the season, to Torquay - another one who Clough's apparently lost patience with perhaps?!

20. HappyDayRiot

Doesn't communicate with the defence? Good job the last month has seen our back four stay the same and gel together then - Hudson and Keinan especially.

I didn't know until yesterday Heaton is out for 5 weeks - can't believe that. Let's see what happens against Ipswich later (on TV unfortunately, we hardly ever win on TV). Bywater has to play for me - that Jason Brown we've also brought in is terrible.