Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 7, 2014.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well definitely looks like Clara's warmed up to him by this point. Although it does still look strange seeing her with another Doctor.

2. davejames

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

New video shows the monitors in action so you get a feeling of what the episode will look like on television

[YT]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Co9XRMBRj4[/YT]

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. After all, we have technically seen her with (or around) most of the others.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think Coleman and Capaldi look good together. I like the contrast of ages, maybe because it does remind me of Pertwee with Katy Manning or Elisabeth Sladen. (By the way, did you know Sladen's middle name was Clara?)

Companions/recurring allies who've spent a significant amount of time with one Doctor and then stayed on through the regeneration:

Ben and Polly
    Sarah Jane Smith
    The Brigadier and Benton (Pertwee to Baker)
    Adric
    Rose
    Mickey
    Captain Jack
    Clara
    Vastra, Jenny, and Strax

And those who had just 1-2 stories with one Doctor before becoming a companion/ally to the next:

The Brigadier and Benton (Troughton to Pertwee)
    Nyssa and Tegan
    Peri
    Mel
    River Song

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The set design seems a bit lazy. :) I like walkie talkie guy photobombing (videobombing?) towards the end.

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Clara is familiar with Regeneration.
    Reasons why it is throwing her off a bit anyway:

1. Seeing the regeneration actually occur is probably a bit traumatic in any case.

2. She has seen all the previous Doctor but never this one. This is a guy that shouldn't exist from her point of view, since she has seen the entire live of the Doctor which should have ended on Trenzalore.

3. He is just not what she expected.

Edit: But hey, at least she won't be accusing him of being a Slitheen!

8. davejames

She may know intellectually that it's the same man, but I'm sure for most people it would still be a very hard thing to adapt to, especially when you consider the additional change to his personality and demeanor. Regardless of what he says, for all intents and purposes it would probably still feel like you were talking to a totally different person.

9. Christopher

Heck, I once had a really hard time accepting it when a close friend of mine in college got a perm. Change can be hard to adjust to.

10. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Clara has seen all the previous Doctors, sure, but she lost HER Doctor. She had feelings for him. She was comfortable with him. Suddenly this whole new (maybe acerbic?) personality shows up, with an old man's face instead of a young man's, and it would naturally throw her. It would throw anyone. Plus, we don't know how he behaves in the episode yet. He might treat her totally differently than Eleven and that might upset her too.

11. Samurai8472

I know it's an early post but seems relevant to post a response.

Congrats to the BBC and Moffat for keeping the lid on the reveal until they could reveal it.

That's probably why they filmed episode one of series 8 first

I think the set pictures that spoiled the eleventh doctor's outfit are a sore spot in the BBC's eyes

-I believe Eccleston's was revealed by the BBC

-Tennant in the newspapers/online

-Smith in set photos

-BBC reveals the 12th doctor

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought the BBC revealed Tennant's outfit? I remember the photo shoot, Tennant and Billie in front of the Tardis?

13. Samurai8472

Yes sorry. I should clarify. Everyone but Matt Smith's costume was a BBC reveal

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the suit, and the rings are most interesting indeed.

15. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, did Clara meet the Doctors, though? Cause I thought her splinters met the Doctors, which isn't the same thing. She knows that she met them, but sher herself hasn't - versions of her have.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think it would be a different thing to on the one hand know that there have been other incarnations of the Doctor and even to meet some of them in the company of 'your Doctor' and then to suddenly have your Doctor gone forever and a new man with a new appearance, personality, traits etc. in his place.

Having said that, I am surprised by these reports and if it's true, I find the inclusion of the scene a little unnecessary. But it doesn't bother me, possibly because I'm a big fan of Matt's Doctor. Still looking forward to seeing PC in action.

17. Christopher

True, but when she was inside the Doctor's mind in the final scene of "The Name of the Doctor," she encountered all his other selves briefly. So she knows them by sight, at least, and has had time to get used to the concept of regeneration. But you're right, that's not the same as actually knowing the other Doctors.

For that matter, it looked as though her splinters were constantly trying to meet the Doctor but rarely actually crossed paths with him. It was very unclear what Clara actually accomplished by leaping into his timestream, but my guess is that her splinters somehow acted to counter the splinters of the Great Intelligence/Simeon, that there was a conflict between them going on behind the scenes, and her success was in preventing Simeon from interfering with the Doctor's past adventures, so that in most cases the Doctor would never know either of them had been there.

18. davejames

And remember that her splinters were born in each Doctor's time period and lived their own lives, so they might not have even been aware that there were different incarnations of the Doctor floating around. As far as each Clara/splinter knew, the Doctor she saved was the only Doctor that existed.

19. Christopher

^I'd tend to agree. Neither Oswin ("Asylum of the Daleks") nor Clara Oswin ("The Snowmen") was aware of having any other lives or any prior knowledge of the Doctor.

Although here's Clara's narration from "Name of...": "It's like I'm breaking into a million pieces and there's only one thing I remember. I have to save the Doctor. He always looks different. But I always know it's him. Sometimes I think I'm everywhere at once, running every second just to find him. Just to save him. But he never hears me. Almost never." That's a little hard to reconcile with Oswin and Clara Oswin.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

She says in the 50th anniversary that she remembers Ten "a bit," which makes me think she doesn't have much memory of all her other selves saving the Doctor.

But if we take into account that THIS Clara has met three Doctors...Ten/Eleven are very similar in terms of mood and personality, so it wasn't that much of an adjustment. She knew the War Doctor only briefly, but he was kind to her. And she met these two while in the company of "her" Doctor. This is the first time she's had to deal with this by herself.

We don't know what happens in the Series 8 premiere, but we can assume that something about Capaldi's personality throws her for a loop. I don't think she'll be afraid of him or anything, but she might think to herself "I don't want to travel with this one. He's too different." I can see that happening.