Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't recognize Goseiger, and then I figured out it's the year after Shinkenger -- the show that will be adapted next after Power Rangers Samurai (assuming the renewed franchise lasts past one season). I'm forgetting that because of the year off, Power Rangers is now at least two years behind Super Sentai instead of just one. Interesting costume designs on Goseiger. Another animal-themed season, and they've found a novel way of incorporating the animal imagery into the helmets. I wonder what Saban will make of it.

2. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave up around/after Turbo. I hung in as long as some of the original cast was there, but after that, I totally gave up.

The show was great as a kid, but I've tried re-watching and... ugh. It doesn't hold up. Real Ghostbusters cartoon? Holds up. BTAS? Awesome, to the day. MMPR? Not so much.

Still, I'd likely buy the original stuff, first few seasons, on DVD to show my 4 year old nephew.

I had such a platonic crush on Jason David Frank as the Green/White ranger. He was just so awesome! I hated when he was off for a while between green and white, and when he came back as the white ranger, OMG, I almost cried with joy. Always hated the over-rated red ranger, Jason. Bleh!

Lord Zedd was such a good villain, too. Honestly, his look and voice, he could be a real good believable villain in other things. Outside of the cheesy kids stuff. He was scary. Loved it.

I remember how devastated I was when he succeded and destroyed the original Dino Zords. But then how awesome it was when they got the dragon zords!

...Sigh.

Put the damn original stuff out on DVD, damnit! If Saban had enough money to buy it back from DISNEY, why not reap the nostalgia cash-flow with DVDs?

3. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Christopher

Oh, definitely. MMPR was the weakest incarnation of Power Rangers in every respect except casting. It was actually with Turbo that it started getting smarter. The season after that, Power Rangers in Space, is considered by many to be its pinnacle, although there are several later seasons I thought were even better, the peaks being Time Force and the last season to date, RPM.

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

After Turbo I stopped watching until Time Force and from there until Dino Thunder. After Dino Thunder I just gave up.

6. Christopher

You guys should really give RPM a try if you can find it. It's Power Rangers for people who find Power Rangers too silly. It's practically a Battlestar Galactica-style gritty reboot of the franchise, with a darker premise and richer characterization than prior seasons and abundant deconstruction of longtime PR tropes (though it's also quite funny). It also has the strongest cast since the original MMPR team.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Official Name confirmed

Red: Captain Marvelous
    Blue: Joe Gibken
    Green: Don Dockoiyer(Doctor)
    Yellow: Luca Millefi
    Pink: Aim De Famille

I thought these would be their nicknames but nope. Green's name is suppose to have ties to "The Doctor" as in Doctor Who Doctor

8. Samurai8472

New Gokaiger promo just aired!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Begin your fanwanking

9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but Amy Jo Johnson will ALWAYS be the Pink Ranger to me :drool:

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Isn't Samurai the first Power Rangers season since Wild Force to have 5 starting rangers instead of 3?

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on what you mean by starting rangers. Five seasons since Wild Force had their 5-person team assembled within the first few episodes, but not necessarily all at once. See SPD, Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive and RPM.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  12. Samurai8472

13. Christopher

^Villains beware the power of giant shoulderpads!

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming you were asking whether or not PRS is going to be the first season since Wild Force where we're introduced to all 5 Rangers at the same time and witness them become Rangers at the same time (as was the case in the original MMPR and subsequent series). The answer to that question is a resounding 'No, PRS is not the first season since WF where we've seen all 5 'core' Rangers introduced at the same time'. S.P.D., Mystic Force, and Overdrive all introduced their 'core' Rangers as a group in their respective premiere episode(s); the only seasons which have broken that particular formula - and which featured teams of 5 Rangers or more - are Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, Jungle Fury, and RPM, all of which began with 'core' teams of 3 Rangers each, and slowly added the other Rangers over the course of the season.

15. Christopher

I wouldn't count RPM in that. Sure, there were only three active Rangers in the first episode, but the characters who would become the fourth and fifth Rangers were there from the premiere onward and became Rangers in episodes 3 and 4. And it was established from the start that it was intended to be a 5-member team; they just hadn't finished filling it out yet.

So RPM was definitely the type of season where the core team is 5 members and is then added to later on (when the Gold and Silver Rangers show up around episode 15). The other three had 3-member core teams that were added to gradually:

In Ninja Storm, the Wind Ranger core team was 3 members. The Thunder Ranger twosome were originally introduced as rivals and the teams didn't combine until episode 12 or 13. And a non-Ranger regular, the team's tech guy, became the sixth Ranger several episodes after that.

In Dino Thunder, you had a 3-member core team with Tommy (from MMPR/Zeo/Turbo) as their mentor for the first 4 episodes, then Tommy became a Ranger again in episode 5. Then the White Ranger showed up in episode 11 as an antagonist, and it wasn't until episode 21 that he reformed and brought the team complement to five.

In Jungle Fury, you had a 3-member core team for 15 episodes, the longest stretch of time that the team has remained that small. Their mentor RJ became the fourth Ranger in episode 16, and the fifth Ranger didn't show up until episode 19.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ In order for RPM to fit what I've decided to call the '5 Ranger Formula', Ziggy and Dillon would have had to have received their powers by the end of the season premiere (The Road to Corinth), as MMPR-Wild Force and SPD-Operation Overdrive. Because that doesn't happen (as you said, Dillon doesn't become a Ranger until the third episode of the season, and Ziggy doesn't become a Ranger until the fourth episode of the season), RPM very much fits what I've decided to call the '3 Ranger Formula' (whereby we are initially introduced to a team of 3 Rangers who all receive their powers by the end of the season premiere and are joined in subsequent episodes by additional Rangers).

17. Christopher

^I don't agree. Whether the were in costume or not, all five core Ranger actors were members of RPM's regular cast from the very first episode. In the other three examples, only four of the current or future Rangers were present as regular cast members from the beginning of the series, with additional Rangers only joining the cast later. In RPM, there were five team members from the very beginning; it's just that the more serialized nature of the show meant that the arc of the team's formation took a bit longer than usual.

And as I said, in RPM Doctor K has five Ranger suits ready to go from the beginning and just needs to fill them all. In the other cases, the subsequent Rangers have at least somewhat separate origins from the initial three. Even if they ultimately get their powers from the same source, in no other case are we shown that five slots are ready to be filled from the beginning. So while RPM doesn't exactly fit the usual 5-Ranger formula, it's closer to that than to the usual 3-Ranger formula. (And heck, RPM doesn't exactly fit any standard Power Rangers formula.)

18. Samurai8472

Be on the lookout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also this is from the Goseiger VS Shinkenger movie. The Gokaiger's make a cameo before their series debuts

The Gokaiger's have changed into past reds

Go-On Red in back- GokaiRed obviously, who will let others do a lot of the work for him.

From left to right

BoukenRed is Gokai Green.
    Deka Red is Gokai Blue.

GekiRed is Gokai Yellow.
    Magi Red is Gokai Pink.

Skirts are appropriately added to the suits the girls transform into

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  19. Christopher

"Wanted Dead or Alive"? So these guys actually are criminals? I still can't wrap my head around the idea of Sentai/Rangers being pirates or outlaws.

Although that first picture looks more like Sgt. Pepper cosplay.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on the producers. Some will stick to formula, some other will be bold. The latter is usually a minority.