LOST Series Finale = WTF???

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Freman, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, I love LOST. Just finally got around to watching Season 6, and have to say I was completely disappointed with the way they ended the series. I mean, not only did it end the way I predicted it would end way back before the first episode even aired, but I have more questions about the show now then I did throughout its entire run.

So the characters are all dead? The flash-sideways segments of Season 6 were a limbo realm the characters were inhabiting while they waited to "move on"? What?
    Okay, fine.

BUT....

Why were Kate, Sawyer, and Claire shown to be ready to "move on" in the flash-sideways, but they are also on the plane leaving the island? Why are Frank, Richard, and Miles also on the plane? Why is Miles shown in the flash-sideways (apparently not ready to move on) but Frank and Richard aren't? For that matter, why were Ben and Hurley shown in the flash-sideways, but they are both still on the island? I'm not getting this? Are the people on the island/plane still alive? If that's the case, how do you explain the Sawyer/Kate/Claire thing?

And where are all the other characters in the church scene? There should have been a few more, right? Eko? Michael? What the hell? lol

Yeah the ending left me totally confused, and the 12 minute "New Man in Charge" epilogue, while cool, just made my confusion worse. Ben and Hurley are in the flash-sideways, with Hurley definitely "moving on" but then once again we are shown that they are now picking up ppl who need to return to the island? Nice to see Walt one last time, though.

And what about Vincent? :)

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The limbo thing takes place many years in the future supposedly. They were all waiting on each other to "move on."

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Did you not listen to a single word that Christian said?

While they were all on the island, they were very much alive. Only the flash-sideways were the purgatory. Christian told Jack that some of them died before him, and some of them long after. They were not dead all along.

As for Eko, most believe that he was already at peace with himself before his death, and therefore had already moved on. Michael was trapped on the island as one of the Whispers, because of his crime.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear no one did.

A friend of mine thought they were all dead from the beginning, they weren't.

Everyone dies, the limbo is only waiting for the people who have died whenever they did, to meet up again in "heaven".

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think everything I would have said here has already been covered.

6. Freman

No, I heard what he said. I was having problems figuring out when exactly they died, and why Kate, Sawyer, Miles and Claire were all in both the flash sideways and shown escaping the island. And why weren't Richard and Frank in the flash sideways?

Ah, and that would be why Ben and Hurley came to get Walt, so he could help Michael to move on?

Ok, so the plane crashes, everything on the island is actually the real world, the flash sideways are limbo? So really, when it comes right down to it, they ended the show without actually explaining what the island really was. Lame.

Maybe I should rewatch the entire series from the start. Maybe it'll make more sense that way? lol ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Try to view the series as being about the people rather than about the mysteries and you'll be a lot more satisfied.

To paraphrase Christian, some of the people arrived there earlier while others arrived later. Put another way it's outside the time-space continuum...when you die you get there, but everyone has basically arrived at the same "time".

The escapees did escape and probably lived out decent lives and died much later...or maybe the plane crashed in Los Angeles or something. It's not really the point.

I would think Frank and Richard weren't there because they weren't strongly connected to the people who were. Richard would much rather see his wife than anyone else, and Frank...well, Frank was too cool for the Losties anyhow. :)

8. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome to the club.

9. Freman

I can see Richard not being there, but I would think Frank was close enough to a lot of them that he should have shown up.

Was Miles in the church? I can't remember. I would definitely think he should have been.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like it. It wasn't because the series ended in a way which I expected, which it didn't, or because the series didn't end in the way I wanted, which it didn't. I didn't like the ending because it felt pointless.

It really seemed and still seems to me that the first four or so seasons did not build up to the final season being about a conflict between two spirits/brothers/demigods/whatever to keep the evil one on the Island. I really felt that the entire Jacob/MiB thing was tacked on, possibly as late as the fifth season finale. It just didn't work for me.

I can almost rationalize the entire series based on that conflict--the Others are having their wacky adventures because letting anyone and his mother come and go might release the Anti-Jacob; Jacob engineers things so people who will accept his mission are brought to the Island; yada, yada, yada. It even almost makes sense if one accepts that the Island is purgatory and people are only there to fix their problem and move on--except for the part about everyone coming and going and the fact the powers that be said it isn't purgatory.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

The island was a cork.

:rolleyes:

I didn't like the finale either. Thought it was basically perfect, seemed like it was going to wrap everything up, then it got to the last ten minutes and just as you thought you were going to find out what the island actually was etc...there's Christian. Ugh.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I agree doing that makes the ending a bit better. However they have spent years telling us that all the other stuff was just as important. Then to just jettison it at the end, bad form.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree there was a bit of a shift to something more mystical and spiritual, but I was fine with it. It was becoming increasingly obvious that with all the weird stuff constantly happening on the island, it was going to be a stretch to come up with a strictly hard scifi explanation for it all.

And it's not like the series had never explored those spiritual aspects before that point. There was a heavy supernatural vibe to the show almost from the beginning.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This. The show spent the better part of four or five seasons dishing out mysteries, clues, hints and overall bullshit. Only to have it all not matter. I don't recall while watching the show wondering what the greater meaning of Jack's journey was and what questions he would ask himself as he died and went into the afterlife.

No, I wanted to know what the fuck was going on with the island!

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ok, nonsense. Impressive that you managed to predict something that even the writers didn't know yet, but other than an attempt to 'win' the internet, no way that statement makes any sense.

So, your prediction (before the first episode, mind you. If you hadn't seen ANY of them, what were your predictions based on?) was that everyone would live out their normal lives, with some dying, some escaping the island, and then they'd all be reincarnated to an essentially parallel reality, live in THAT reality until they all met up, remembered the first life, and went on to the afterlife?

No, pretty sure the show didn't end the way you predicted. I mean, it sounds stupid just SAYING the way it ended, forget trying to string it together and make sense :lol:

16. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

We aren't told when Kate, Sawyer, Miles, and Claire died. Sometime after escaping the island, obviously.

17. Freman

No, I predicted that the show would end with them revealing they were all dead and in the afterlife. Which is what I thought was going on when I made my first post. And that is what I predicted, personally don't care if you believe it or not. Not trying to "win the internet" or whatever the hell that means. I would hardly come on here going "Duh, I don't understand the ending", if I was trying to "win the internet".

Besides, what's so hard to believe about me predicting something that the writers hadn't come up with yet? The ending sucked BECAUSE the writers' took the easy way out and chose what I see as the too obvious ending. Sure, they added a twist by saying the characters were alive the whole time on the island, but seriously, you didn't know the afterlife was gonna figure into this somehow? It was so obvious. They copped out, plain and simple.

Also, I knew the last episode was going to have an "eye" shot the way the first episode did. Is that me "winning the internet" again?

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

They did answer an awful lot of those questions throughout the final seasons...... they just weren't the answers most people wanted to hear apparently.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I have to say it's unfair to say the MiB/Jacob storyline was tacked on, probably at the end of S5. From the very beginning, the show has always represented the Island happenings as a game with Black and White Pieces competing with each other (Backgammon Game, John Locke's eyes, the Tennis Shoes, the constant Black/White imagery throughout the entire First Season...)

Now, sure, they probably didn't have a clue how they were going to play it out, but, it was always portrayed as a Black/White pieces competing against each other.

And, yea, Christian mentioned, some folks, especially, those who died in S1, like Boone, waited in the S6 Sideways/Purgatory world a very long time for everyone to pass away. That's why they were just living their lives while they were, because everyone needed to die before they would move on together, so, some folks maybe died 50 or 75 years after they started arriving in Purgatory.

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Me too, me too.

My biggest gripe is that the series ended in some kind of touchey-feely all-inclusive after-lifey church. Made me feel like I'd been watching a clandestine "touched by an angel" series for 6 years.

Also that they copped to the purgatory ending after saying for years they would not do that. Wimps.