Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info.:techman:
    Do we know yet if they are going to go the Buffy route and do a big "season finale", and then come back with a renumbered "Season 12"? Or is it always going to be "Season 11"?

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

They're heading for the season finale territory known as the Crisis.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@JD we're still fairly early into the season, Miller is treating each arc as an episode of the season so we've got a long while yet to go so I wouldn't compare the structure to the Buffy comic because they're doing that as a traditional comic. I say there's a good chance though we'll get a season 12 next year...but so far we're only around episode 7 or 8.

Finished reading #46 and I agree with what Admiral James Kirk stated above, but it looks like Q granted my wish and undid Kryptonite Woman!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering how they were structuring the "season". It makes sense to do whole arcs as "episodes" rather than each invididual issues. I just looked and Comixology says the individual issues are about the same length as a standard comic, but I thought these kinds of digital comics were usually shorter than regular comics?

5. Admiral James Kirk

Four digital issues = one issue of the print book.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, two pages of the digital comic are stacked to make one page of the print book.

7. Admiral_Young

Also the trade for volume one "Guardian" just came out at the end of last month and deals with Hank Henshaw and starts off this wonderful ride so you might want to check it out or pick it up.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty much 100% digital, so I was just going to get the first couple arcs that way when I start it.

9. Admiral James Kirk

I just finished reading Smallville: Season 11 #47 not sixty seconds ago and I'm already yappin' about it! What can I say? It's been several weeks since I've read the last chapter of Argo and sadly I can hardly remember what happened in it? When there's a delay between issues and we get the fill ins I really need to do myself a favor and reread those issues before resuming the narrative. Anyway enough of that noise, on with the review!

This issue Superman and Supergirl are reunited. We get a bit of a recap of Supergirl's final appearance on Smallville and then learn about how she arrived in the future and what she's been doing since. It's actually a lot of fun how the Kryptonian's aren't the scumbags in this story. Earthgov is. They're always been a bunch of xenophobic twits and in Argo they're at their twittiest. I mean what kind of moron government would pick a race with a race of Supermen and leave North Korea out of it! ;)

As far as the character's go I love Kara's place in this story and I love her part in the fight between Earth and New Krypton. It promises to be quite dramatic while still being tons of fun. There's a lot of chuffah with the Legion on New Krypton that leads to a fun little cliffhanger involving Supes and the Kryptonians that I hope doesn't play out as a retread of Season 9s Zod plotline.

The artwork is kinda meh in this issue. Clark and Kara look like generic character designs rather than looking like Tom Welling and Laura Vandervoort. I can get past the weak character art but it's difficult because the cover art captures Laura's likeness perfectly.

By and large I liked this issue though I really feel at a disadvantage because I fucked up and didn't catch myself back on the story before starting. Not Bryan Q's fault. All my bad! Looking forward to where this story is going! Smallville: Season 11 is my crack!

I needs me another fix o' the good stuff!

10. Admiral James Kirk

Smallville time! Smallville: Season 11 #48 was a fun little read today that really advanced the story in a meaningful way. We spend some time with Superman on New Krypton and find out what the war between Earth and New Krypton is really about. It is not really the race war that it appears to be on the surface. It's really a religious conflict that's emerging in a most surprising way. See these Kryptonians don't worship Rao (sorry Admiral Young) they worship...

Well that would be telling wouldn't it? ;) Let's just say that they worship somebody that they really shouldn't and leave it at that.

At least until next week? ;)

How 'bout the non-Superman portions of the story?

Well they're not too bad at all actually. We finally get to spend some quality time with Booster Gold. Booster's chomping at the bit to get his flight ring reactivated so he can get back into action but...

Brainiac ain't havin' none o' that. But he's not being a bad guy about it. He's quietly encouraging of Booster's heroic inclinations while making it clear he won't furnish him the technology to rejoin the fight on the Legion's level. Of course he might not have a choice because everything's crumbling all around them the galaxy over and every Legionaire from every point in time and space is being recalled for the awful war that's coming.

Spine tingly dingly, I dare say! :D

Not much more I can say about this issue. It was short and sweet and makes me really look forward to next week.

Brian Q. consider me your willing test subject! :D

11. Admiral_Young

I'll have my thoughts shortly...but I can't help myself...he's known as Brainy now ;)

Edit: This was just a beautiful issue. You really have to read the stories proper that Q is drawing from to fully appreciate what he is doing in this arc...but this is by far my favourite arc of the series. He is interweaving Superman and the Legion of Superheroes, New Krypton, and Smallville Season Nine pretty much flawlessly while advancing his plot for this season and bringing it all together. Truly masterful.

I absolutely loved the conversation between Michael and Brainy. Michael feels lost again...and Brainy is attempting to motivate him as best he knows how. Also the Skeets stuff was absolutely hilarious and spot on!

We're also getting the Rokk/Garth/Imra love triangle from Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (Paul Levitz opening arc pre New 52). Just beautiful stuff.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  12. Admiral James Kirk

Alright we've done our job. Now where's Pro? He hasn't dropped by yet to tell us he's going to be caught up with us in another six months. ;) Sorry, Pro! :D

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Still here... Sort of.

:bolian:

Yeah, I'll catch up sometime here in the near future, I hope. Still on OT at work, and trying to format the new ebook in my spare time.

Reading? What's that?

:lol:

14. Admiral James Kirk

Smallville: Season 11 #49 is out today and man what an issue it is! We start off with Booster Gold doing his hero thang and...

Not much happens there. It's all character. Basically Booster proving Brainy right. He's a hero even without his gadgets and it's good to see. It doesn't all go right for him but what do you expect? It's a crapsack future we're workin' with! ;)

The next section is about Superman and Kara. There's a little character, a little action and a LOT of plot advancement. They DO descend into Faora's tomb and they DO find that Earthgov has been there first and they DO find that they've taken a little Kryptonian DNA with them!

But what for? Well that's where we hit the cliffhanger. I won't give it away but I will hint...

"Somewhere on Earth..."

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. Admiral_Young

Almost completely forgot to comment on Friday's issue. As with Admiral James Kirk I won't reveal the ending in order to not deprive the feeling that we had with it because it was that awesome...but this was another absolutely fantastic issue. Also won't repeat what AJK stated because he does an excellent job of covering the basics of the issue. This was just great and my favourite arc of the season so far...but that ending. Rao. Also I think Bryan Q is a Star Trek fan because there is a nice reference there :)

16. Admiral James Kirk

A completely apt reference at that! ;)

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, now I'm really intrigued. I'm assuming this should be fairly obvious to spot.

Thanks for the heads-up!

18. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I saw that when I read the issue, and was wondering the same (whether he's a Trek fan). Someone should ask him on Twitter.

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Well after all, he is Q...

:lol:

20. Admiral_Young

Smallville Season 11 #50 concluded the Valkyrie arc and we get a sense of resolution for Lana I think that was ultimately lacking from the series. Not only did Millar undo "Kryponite Woman" *shudders* but he also coyly has Lois and Lana acknowledge Lois/Clark and Lana decides to stay in Africa to continue her work with the children. Even without her suit, she feels stronger than ever. I'm satisfied with how this arc unfolded.