Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zoë Saldana spoke briefly recently about Uhura and Spock’s relationship in Star Trek into Darkness. Since the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek (2009), fans have wondered how that would affect the relationship between the two characters, but according to Saldana, there are other things happening that impact the couple. “They’re figuring things out” said [...]

More...

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love the Spock/Uhura thing.

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

where is spock/uhura fan?

she used to be very popular on the site?

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This. +1 :techman:
    Who could blame her? :devil:

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Spock/Uhura Fan left when the first trailer for Into Darkness left her underwhelmed.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You guys know that Vulcan and Human sex is awesome right? :devil:

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I kind of disagree; I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance in the film.

I don’t think the romance in trek was made for the tween audience. The tween audience like the shallow and superficial over the top romance like the horrible twilight films. The romance in trek 09 was very mature and low key.

Also,Uhura just happened to be at the right place at the right time. originally the writers were going to go with Nurse Chapel but they scrapped it because Chapel couldn’t been on the bridge, Chapel belonged in the medical bay which means it would have been very hard to write a romance between spock/chapel in a 2 hour film.

So yeah.... Uhura was at the right place at the right time, it was a lot easier for JJ Abrams and his buddies to write a romance between Uhura/Spock instead of Chapel/Spock . It had nothing to do with upgrading Uhura's character because she did nothing in TOS.

Maybe nurse chapel and Spock would have made more sense ..she was the one crushing on Spock in TOS.

As JJ Abrams is more of a geek nerd than a Jork, JJ Abrams gets to live out his fantasy through uhura/spock. JJ said he paired them together because he did not like the idea of how the handsome hero which in Star Trek is Kirk always gets the girl. He wanted a nerd (in other words some one like himself) to get the girl instead.

I also disagree with it been forced.. a romatic pairing been forced is mostly subject to the actors performance in the film. Perfect examples are: Hayden Christensen and Nataile Portman or Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto make a very good pair and are both good actors. In fact the whole cast blended together well. Nothing about TREK 09 was forced.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience and the basis of more than one TOS episode?

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

And, exactly HOW would you know that??

13. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Nope.... I flat out disagree; the stoic character that gets the girl is not clihe because it hardly ever happens. What is clihe is the pretty boy always getting the girl

You obviously no nothing about romance. ....

The most clihe aspect of a romance plot is the popular pretty boy and pretty girl living happily ever after without little effort or getting together with no real legitimate reason asides from that fact that both of them are pretty.

Those are the clihe romance that appeal to teen girls. the romance in star trek 09 or even in any of JJ Abrams movies and tv shows are nothing like that.

14. The Mirrorball Man

"They're kissing again! Do we HAVE to hear the kissing parts?"

15. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No you don’t understand romance, which is fine...you are a guy. Romance is not really a guy thing and since Hollywood is as superficial as ever, most of the recent romantic films in Hollywood is all about sex and lust. It makes sense for you to describe romance as noting more than a hook up between 2 people.

This is one of the main reasons why JJ Abrams didn’t want to pair kirk/uhura in the first place.Kirk in star trek 2009 is the embodiment of all thing sex and lust in other words the cliché romance. When Kirk first meets uhura in the bar all he wants to do is sleep with her.

I don’t think that is the way Spock behaves and no it’s not because he is Vulcan. Am sure there are some vulcans that think it is logical to experiment with sex.
    Spock just seems to be more level-headed and focused so if he were to date anyone, he probably won’t date a girl like Galia who is the female version of Kirk.
    (Galia was the green girl...Uhura’s roommate)

Also again look at Uhura’s statement to kirk. To her, Kirk is a farm boy that likes to have sex with farm animals.

I for one thought that was quite a nasty and bitchy comment but it was metaphorically true. Uhura, despite acting like a bitch knew that guys like kirk only wants to get into her pants. she immediately turns him down because she is not that type of girl. she want a more serious person in other words a guy like Spock.

This is perhaps the most important reason why the Spock/Uhura romance is not a cliché. It was a very well done romance.

I also do not like the Twilight series ....So I wont be saying hello.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This is an overstatment, perhaps, but I think the attraction or mystique of Spock to women fans in TOS was that he was both highly desirable and seemingly unobtainable. He was a distant, cold figure. And lonely. A woman may be tempted to think, "I know that's not really him, and if I had the chance, I could break through and get to him." In the show, that was personified by Nurse Chapel. In the end, Spock represented unrequited love, which probably even added to his attraction.

Whether or not one likes the idea of Spock having an open relationship with Uhura or not, thematically, their relationship changes that TOS image of Spock. The mystique is gone. The attraction of unobtainability is gone. And so is unrequited love. Instead, it's about Spock learning how to love, and Uhura gets the chance many female fans may have fantasized about in the 1960s. This Spock is not lonely.

17. The Mirrorball Man

In what way? How would that have served the movie, and how would it have worked thematically?

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No offence but what global appeal does Twilight have?

Twilight is the worst Hollywood film franchise ever. I don’t care how much money it made at the box office.box office has never equalled quality.

Didn’t Breaking Dawn 2 win 7 Razzies awards including worst film at last week’s ceremony?

Twilight is marketed to silly teen girls.

Sparkling pretty boy marries equally sparkling pretty girl and they live happily ever after without any sacrifice.

Now that is the definition of a cliché romance.

I don’t remember the spock/uhura relationship been anything like that.

And no... they could not go with Scotty or Sulu beause they are not leading characters. Kirk and Spock are the main characters.

let me refresh your memory of the golden trios in some of the biggest film franchises ever.

Luke-Han-Leia..(star wars)

Harry-Ron-Hermione (harry potter)

Anakin-Padme-Obiwan (star wars)

Peeta-Katniss-Gale (hunger games)

Captain Jack Sparrow- Elizabeth-Will Turner (pirates of the carribbean)

Kirk-Uhura-Spock (star trek 2009)

Edward-Bella-Jacob (Twilight) I will add twilight since you are a fan.

In case you want to know the similarties between all this cahracters..they all had leading roles in the films and the romantic plot is between at least 2 of the characters I mentioned.

19. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I don’t really think the Mystique is gone. It is still , after all a different Spock and it doesnt matter how good Quinto is as Spock. Nimoy's Spock will always be the icoinc Spock.

I have heard many fans say that Zachary Quinto's Spock was even more cold and distant than TOS Spock.

Most people call NU-Spock an emo.
    In the ending scene of the 09 film when TOS Spock tells NU-Spock to put aside logic and do what feels right.

Do you think TOS Spock said those words to NU-Spock because he regretted the cold and distant part of his life that made him miss a lot of human things like love.

Remember Leia Kemoli or even Christine Chapel.

I don’t know how true this is , but I heard that Gene Rodenberry initially planned for Spock and Chapel to get married but it never happened.

Like I said...I dont know how true those rumors are.

NU-Spock seems to find the right balance between logic and everything including love.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I think part of the mystery of TOS Spock was his unobtainability and yet his latent sexuality (like he could explode at any moment). Women suspected that if they could get him to hug them, he probably wouldn't stop there. (Being a man, I can only speculate. Sorry if that sounds overgeneralized.)
    I do think seeing Quinto's Spock with his first girlfriend does remove some of that mystique. Spock Prime seemed to both fear and desire intimacy (as in closeness). But this Spock seems far more comfortable in exploring this part of his humanity than Spock Prime was. Maybe some of it has to do with his father telling him he actually loved his mother. Hey, if it was OK for dad, who is full Vulcan, then -- .

I definitely believe this Spock will reach his, "If I were human, I believe my response would be, go to hell," moment in life a lot sooner than Spock Prime did.

So many people say so many things, but what I've heard is if TOS had continued, they may have toyed with a Spock-Uhura relationship, not Spock and Chapel. but over the decades, it's hard to separate out fact from fabrication or just a person's sincere but bad memory.