The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Beyerstein, Jul 1, 2014.

1. JJTrek4ever!

JJTrek4ever! Lieutenant Junior Grade

The HD widescreen version is available for purchase on iTunes (US Store). I mean, how can one go wrong with a youngish Brenda Bakke and spacecraft designs by Syd Mead?

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well, actually nearly all of 2001 was designed during 1965, with shooting beginning at the very end of that year. In a lot of ways the movie still has a midcentury sensibility (which really works for it, since that is probably the aspect of 20th century design that holds the most enduring appeal.)

The kubrick film's footprint is all over the 70s, even to the Blockade Runner interior that opens STAR WARS, and it showed the way to NOT go for SILENT RUNNING, so it was influential in all sorts of ways. I still wonder what it would have been like if Ken Adam had done it instead of Masters (Ken would definitely have had his breakdown by 1965 instead of not having it till BARRY LYNDON), but I'm VERY happy with what we got.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Oh, I'd say Sarafian & co found a way. Hard to believe Cameron hired his TRUE LIES cinematographer on the basis of this, with all the smoke on the ship interiors it is like something from the mid 80s.

Does it at least look better than the DVD, which is worth every penny of the 84 cents I spent on it?

4. JJTrek4ever!

JJTrek4ever! Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm currently away from home on bidness so I can't compare them to see if the iTunes Solar Crisis is just a matted version of the print used for the full frame DVD. You want me to post screencaps after I d/l it to my iPad? For some reason I can't do captures of iTunes purchases on my Mac or PC. Go figger.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

True. I was very sloppy there. I should have said released in the late 1960s (1968 to be precise), and have been more specific about when the design was done.

6. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought it was a huge mistake that they destroyed the Ent-D in Generations, because it was a vital link to the TV series... the audience had an emotional connection to it. I think First Contact would have been much more emotionally poignant if we had seen Picard wrestling with the potential of losing the Enterprise-D to the Borg - it would have been a great way of seeing how much the Enterprise meant to the captain. If the TV model wasn't detailed enough for film cameras, they could have always shown a "refit" version of the galaxy class, like the version in Star Trek Online - lost opportunity.

7. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure why, but even though I watched the show those seven year, I never really got attached to the Enterprise-D. It never quite made the impression that the old TOS Enterprise did. It was rarely a character unless the plot demanded it. In the TOS era, the Enterprise was basically another member of the cast. It has a personality to it, even it most of that was Kirk and Scott. I hadn't seen all that much of the original series and only the first three films when the old girl was blown up over Genesis. It was a sad moment and it did feel like we had lost an important character...as much as losing Spock in the previous film had been.

When the Enterprise-D went down...not so much of an emotional impact (aside from getting Data to swear...that was funny). Losing cast members (crew) of the ship would evoke an emotional response...but not the Enterprise-D.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Only TOS really had characters that were emotional about their ship and tended to regard her as a special person, IMO.

9. AirCommodore

AirCommodore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't that thrilled with the D or E. The design for the Ent-C was better.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

When Sisko lost the Defiant it was basically "meh" have to go through the paperwork of getting a replacement.

Picard also never seemed really invested in the Enterprise Dee, it was a tool to accomplish his various missions. I got the impression that the Stargazer was far more important to Picard.

Janeway and Archer the same.

Kirk loved his ship.

:)

11. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I've always thought the same thing. It would have been sweet to watch the ENT-D blazing in to save the day. Seeing her all Borgified would have resonated with the fans a bit more too I think. That said I love the E-E too. One of my favorite designs aside from Voyager and the refit original.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Sorry I missed your reply. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing how the exterior space stuff in Earth orbit looks, or a couple frames of the probe plowing through the sun. No rush.

13. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, Picard was attached to the Stargazer due to it being is first command, once the Stargazer was lost the Ent-D despite it being the Flagship was just another ship to him.

Riker on the other hand seemed more upset by it's destuction, and you got the impression he really wanted the Enterprise D.

I didn't think either Picard or Riker felt that way about the Enterprise E. Infact although technically more advance than the Galaxy class at the time of it's launch, as a ship the Soveriegn class might have seemed like a bit of a downgrade compared to the Galaxy.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Picard might have preferred the Ent-E...there didn't seem to be any children aboard.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which was for the best seeing as the Borg assimilated half of it a year after he got it, so no having to gun down assimilated children.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Don't forget Scotty. He loved that ship too and was more willing to fight a room full of Klingons to protect her honor more so than his captain's.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lily: Oh no, Jean-Luc! You gunned down another member of the crew!
    Picard: That was Ensign Lynch, Jr. The little anklebiter had it coming!
    Lily: But he wasn't...
    Picard: He WAS assimilated! Just early on-set assimilation.

18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Love it!

I reckon they could get away with gunning down children quite easily - just refer to them as "younglings" instead ;)

Of course, none of this would have been necessary if Jean-Luc would just separate the damn saucer before going into battle! That way they could still have the dark and moody bridge (battle bridge) and in fact all the other scenes as well!

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In the majority of episodes set aboard the Enterprise Dee, the children were out of sight and out of mind. I think the Enterprise E also had children on board, they just weren't a part of the story.

:)

20. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree. The E was almost as large as the D so no reason why there wouldn't be children aboard.