PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The funny thing is that in the past Kangaroo mince (the style of meat you'd use to make a burger patty) was sold as dog food.

You have to make sure that Kangaroo is cooked on the rare side - there's a fine line between it being tender and being like boot leather.

It also makes Australians the only ones to eat their national animal apparently.

I've had it once and wouldn't be adverse to having it again but wouldn't see it out.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, if one of us shot, cooked and ate bald eagle they'd probably do some time in a U.S. federal penitentiary. ;)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They say that about the rare but the kangaroo steaks I buy are tender even if you cook them well done.

And yes originally it was sold as pet food only. Then it appeared in high scale restaurants as gourmet food. Now you can buy it every Coles and Safeway in every possible form. Sausages, mince, kebabs, burgers, steak.. and it's the price of beef.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh geez, teacake, you wouldn't like to eat with me, then. :( I fully admit I eat the same things all the time. Not only am I stuck in a rut, eating-wise, I enjoy being in that rut. For me, "trying something new" is using different toppings on a hamburger or hot dog. :p

5. teacake

Some of my favorite things I could eat every day I found by ordering them not knowing what they were.

I eat a lot of the same thing at home, very simple for the most part. But if I go out I consider myself an adventurer.

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

is Kangaroo better with red or green chile?

7. teacake

Red. The kangaroo is somewhat gamey to the ungamed palate and I think red works better.

ALL CHILLIES ARE FINE FINE FINE.

I love your avatar, it makes me happy to look at chillies.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It makes me happier to eat them.

With everything.

9. teacake

10. cooleddie74

Chiles are awesome.

But beware the Ghost Chile and use some sense if and when you eat them. At well over 1,000,000 Scovill units of heat per chile pepper the Ghost might be the hottest edible pepper on the entire planet.

11. teacake

I have never had one. I like some flavour in my chillie. That said, I would try it. Have you had it?

12. cooleddie74

One.

It was - intense. And that's an understatement. The Ghost is an outstanding pepper, but it is a unique experience. I've seen what happens when competitive eaters and television hosts eat foods prepared with one or more Ghosts ground up and added as spice and it is wild.

13. teacake

I know they have an illusory psychoactive effect.. or something.

It's the exit that worries me more.

14. cooleddie74

As you should.

As an American food host once said and I paraphrase: "Going down can be bad enough, but it's what happens a little later on that really makes you question your own judgment!" ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cB6Tu5_28[/yt]

15. think

think About it! Premium Member

Butt Why, why are chilli's so damn hot what gives that taste effect chemically? We all know what the taste is but why is that the taste? It is no different than other foods just this chilli has the hots taste..?

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't eat much meat, but I love trying new foods, so I'd definitely try kangaroo. Bison and venison are tastier and healthier than beef. Octopus is just okay, but I love squid.

Then I'm quite impressed that you went to a Thai restaurant with me! And actually ate the food. ;)

17. cooleddie74

The hotness of a pepper is determined by the amount of capsaicin within the pepper, which is located along the central, internal "spine" of the pepper where the seeds are located. A Ghost chile has the highest known capsaicin content of an edible pepper plant.

Actually if you take the seeds and "guts" out of a pepper and consequently remove the capsaicin most peppers taste mild or even bland and not hot at all.

18. CorporalClegg

And still only about a third the Scovilles of pepper spray. Honestly, think I'd rather be shot. :lol:

I have had one once. Probably never will again. Heat for the sake of heat never made sense to me. Chiles have such a wonderful flavor that, when it gets that hot, you really lose the flavor. Hobbies are about as hot as I'll go, and even then only in moderation.

19. cooleddie74

The scale:

[​IMG]

The Bhut Jolokia is the Ghost chile.

20. CorporalClegg

That's the one. I love sorranos. They're the perfect balance of added heat and flavor.