Surface

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vasquez Rocks, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

I just recently started watching this science fiction show that failed on NBC a number of years ago and it's pretty good. Kind of has a 70s/ 80s Spielberg vibe to it. I can see elements of E.T., Close Encounters and Jaws all there in episodes.

The basic premise is: (from IMDB)
    I really like the cast too - Lake Bell, Jay R. Ferguson, Carter Jenkins and find their characters to be all really likeable. Something which is nice to see in a tv show again.

I was curious if there are any other fans here?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was pretty decent for what it was. It was actually something that I made time to watch every week...until the winter mid-season break. It went off the air for a month or so, and in that time, it completely fell out of mind. Never bothered to get back and watch the back half of the season.

3. Vasquez Rocks

I'm about halfway through the series right now, thanks to Hulu. I read that the 2006 Winter Olympics was the reason it went on hiatus. The episodes I'm up to now have a "Previously on..." narration which is kind of annoying, because of how detailed it is and the guy narrating it sounds way too over the top. lol

4. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

didn't like it. It was one of the early LOST imitators,,,I'm convinced this type of storytelling doesn't work and this show had a pretty campy premise.

5. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried to watch it a couple of times, but the subplot about the one kid who was keeping one of the creatures as a pet, I think, annoyed me too much at the time.

6. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I started it, but stopped because Threshold and Invasion were on around the same time and both were better.

7. Vasquez Rocks

One of the big attractions to me to the series is the ocean setting. That's why I watched SeaQuest originally. In fact, I like this show much more. I tried rewatching SeaQuest again recently, but stopped around the first few episodes of the second season. Even the first season was a struggle to get through this time around.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    It used to run in the graveyard TV slot here. Remember starting off vaguely intrigued but got tedious pretty quickly. Felt like an idea that was needlessly strung out.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a good idea for a limited run TV series or miniseries, but it was poorly handled and was the worse of the bunch of Lost knockoffs.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

-Lake Bell in her undies lathering up in oil to stay warm

-Boy have a symbiotic relationship with his lizard like in "E.T"

That's all I remember.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that it seemed to be "ripping off" several Spielberg movies. I thought that it started off a bit shakey but got better though it still was somewhat dopey.

12. Osiris Aten

Osiris Aten Lieutenant Red Shirt

It was a great series and too bad it only had one season. I was a fan of the short lived Invasion too, which I have on dvd.

13. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it quite a bit, along with Threshold and Invasion. It's a shame all three of them got canned just as they were starting to hit their stride. There was great potential in each.

Not sure how Surface can be considered a "Lost knockoff" though. That's one of the stupidest things I've heard.