Frank Miller completely loses the plot

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I like Authority and the military and would love to see the Spartans played as bad guys. i think that that would be cool. To not like someone's art because you don't like them personally is wrong and vice versa.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I'm pretty sure Sci isn't saying he dislikes Miller's (or anyone's) art because he dislikes them personally.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re Brin on 300: If Brin's impression of Sparta was actually correct, the real question is why Sparta wasn't like most oppressive states where the ruling classes easily accepted Persian suzerainty in exchange for support of their privileges. And if his impression of Athens was correct, the real question is where the Athenian Empire came from.

Re 300: Imagining the ephors as a hideous rabble and Xerxes as a transvestite freak and Persians as demonic says everything you need to know.

Re Frank Miller completely losing the plot: How do we know he ever had it. From what I see of the Nolan version of Batman, which is apparently a blend of Miller and Insomnia, there's no reason to think Miller ever had the plot.

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no idea who this Miller is, from this thread i see he is involved in comics........as for his opinion i disagree with him 100%.......OM might not change the world, but they have succeeded in getting people talking about them, and more importantly talking about all the immoral assholes who dumped the world into this economic mess to simply line their own pockets.......For that i thank the OM and all the other similar protest happening around the globe.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think most people would argue with the taking of "creative license" when it comes to historical details. Doing it to tell a more dramatically effective story makes perfect sense. Doing it to push a hideously oppressive political agenda is pretty messed up.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid your impression is mistaken. Nolan's Batman films encompass a lot of different influences -- Frank Miller's Batman: Year One is only one of them. Nolan's Batman is influenced by everything from Denny O'Neil's Batman: The Man Who Falls to Alan Moore's The Killing Joke to Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's The Long Halloween.

7. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Which detail of historic accuracy would have made the 300 more dramatically effective?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

read Robert Maxwell's post again.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Could've been worse, he could've have all the Spartan warriors admit they're not as bad-ass as Batman.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, that's a political agenda I wouldn't object to. ;)

11. Captaindemotion

"We're the goddamn Spartans!"

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

"Are you retarded? We're the goddamn Spartans!"

Edit: Oops. Should have clicked for the next page. :rommie:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. Actually, it was a tie. Look at the time stamps. :hugegrin:

14. Captaindemotion

^ Great minds think alike.

Then again, fools seldom differ.

15. stj

Thanks for the details. The only one I've of these I've read is Moore's.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miller claimed that the Occupy Movement was, in essence, a bunch of criminals. The arrest records would seem to bear this out. There have been many, many, more arrests than one saw at a Tea Party rally, more than three hundred, in fact.

And that doesn't include the guy who shot at the White House and the protester who was found with a handgun in NYC this weekend.

All of which tends to make Miller look at least a bit less crazy than some have alleged.

I suppose one can say "yeah, but...you can't judge an entire movement by 300+ members."

However, the Occupy Movement wants us to think of them as some sort of unified force (hence, the "we are the 99%" rhetoric).

There is also the fact that there weren't 300 arrests of tea partiers.

Finally, it comes back to hypocrisy. There were far too many people, including celebrities and comic book professionals, who wanted to smear the entire "tea party" movement for things that had nothing to do with them (see, eg, the Giffords shooting). But when the "Occupy" clowns are found to have hundreds of thugs in their midst, many on the left suddenly says "oh, no, we can't have anyone generalize them. That wouldn't be civil."

Based on the arrests so far, Miller seems to be more accurate than, say, Janeane Garofalo.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You forgot to blame the Occupy Movement for the floods in Thailand.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's stupid. They aren't in Thailand. The only thing the "Occupy" movement has in common with Thailand is an alleged propensity for child rape (using the same "guilt by association" theory that was so popular when discussing the Tea Party).

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That article you linked to on the White House shooting is embarrassing. He "may" have spent time at the camp? "One wonders" if he filled out registration paperwork? Well, golly, gee goddamn whiz, it's a shame the Wall Street Journal isn't some kind of journalistic organization with reporters and shit which might be expected to actually find out actual facts and then publish them. Then they might actually have something to say other than vague rumors and unsubstantiated innuendo.

20. stj

One wonders why they bother having trials if being arrested means you are guilty. Or, to put it another way, the Tea Party is racist scum bankrolled by people like the Koch brothers, and therefore the same kind of people as cops. Of course Tea partiers didn't get arrested, they were officially approved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.