Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dcsmokey, Aug 4, 2012.

1. dcsmokey

dcsmokey Commander Red Shirt

2. dcsmokey

3. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, but the seams on that Enterprise make me cry....

4. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was great guys! Keep it up! I'm sure somebody will pick on the eyeline issues with Kirk in the corridor, but it's such a minor thing. Can't wait to see more.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  5. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great Work! I got chills seeing Chris Doohan playing his father's character. I wish he had been cast in JJ's Trek as Scotty!

6. Orion Pimp

Orion Pimp Captain Captain

That was fantastic.
    Vic did a great job in the subtleties of Kirk. the hands, the smirk, even the way he sat in the center seat. it's the little things that add up to a very nice overall performance.
    What can I say about Chris? It was chilling to wonderful to watch his performance, and hearing his voice gave me goosebumps.
    You're father would be proud.
    Terrific job.
    The whole cast, in what little we've seen so far, all turned in really solid performances, and the sets and costumes look beautiful.
    I really can't wait to see more of this incarnation of TOS.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So great to see/hear Chris doing such a good job with his father's character. I also love Grant's Takei-voice. :)

...And am I crazy, or does the guy playing Kirk remind anyone else of Jack Lord?

8. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yep, Chris did a very nice job...

9. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Amazing... the lighting was simply fantastic... well directed, and certainly captured the feel of Trek in the late 60s.

GREAT performance by Vic Mignogna as Kirk as he really captures a lot of Shatnerisms without going overboard. Todd Haberkorn seems to have a nice feel for Spock, and Chris Doohan has Scotty down cold.

Great stuff guys!!!

Yancy

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Are there any download links?

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well done! Doohan is spot on! I really liked Kirk and Bones as well!

I can't wait for more of this.

12. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I second that question.

13. dcsmokey

Downloads are now enabled via the Vimeo page.

14. The Transformed Man

SWEET!

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The CG model of the Enterprise and the rendering are as good as any I've seen in a Trek fan film (or, for that matter, when the ship was created this way for those Star Trek: Enterprise episodes or the Remastered series.). Of course, every single version of the ship created by a different artist has its own little variations from the model as it appeared in TOS. But this is an excellent recreation and the lighting is very evocative of the original. Congrats to Gabe Koerner.

For a first effort - and a short vignette- this compares pretty well to any other Trek fan film out there so far. The performances are generally on a good level for fan films, and the lighting, camera work and general tech credits are fine. The costuming is about perfect, which is what one expects from John Broughton and his folks. And speaking of the Farragut Films crew and their dedicated labor, what we see of the sets here is stunning (full disclosure of bias: I did a little of the work on the bridge...a very little).

Good effort. I wish these guys well.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Hmmm... Looks like New Voyages/Phase II and Exeter have some new competition...

My STC and Ajax keep TOS alive! Looking forward to it!

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Nice, solid effort. I especially like the seamless editing, which is only something most people notice when it's not up to snuff. The acting is also solid. Very promising effort.

18. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

I don't know how this is supposed to be competition for other fan shows since no one can sell them or anything. I like a lot of the fan stuff because it's us fans making them.

I liked the short clip I saw mostly. The only thing that really seemed weird for me was whoever is playing McCoy. He maybe has never seen the character? Or maybe it was in the writing because his lines were like out of a different show. He seemed real happy when everyone else was sad.

I liked how they redid the end of the last Trek episode. That was awesome and cool and really well done. Especially the woman who played Janice Lester. It's like they went back in time and got the actress!

The guy playing Kirk did okay but seems like he's trying to be The Shat and no one is The Shat. I want to see their first episode to decide but right now I dont like him much because it looks like hes trying to hard. But it is just their first try and I don't know the mix of fans to actors so he may never have really acted in anything like this. (Is the McCoy guy an actor? Because he's overacting too.) The Phase II Kirk grew into his role so maybe this guy can too.

The Spock was good, and I saw Chris Doohan as Scotty and that was awesome! I know the Uhura actress was in Phase II and Grant Imihara's Sulu voice was great. The Chekov guy looks fine but why didn't he have an accent?

19. The Transformed Man

Number of points I disagree with:

1) Vic Mignogna was fantastic as Kirk and was not simply doing a Shatner impersonation. Were there moments where he was channeling a little Shat... sure, but in no way was this simply a Shatner impersonation. I was particularly impressed with the emotion he was showing in his eyes and the performance he was giving with his body language. Good stuff!

2) What I really liked in particular about this vignette, beyond the superb production value they brought (lighting and direction in particular were top notch), was the acting. It was very broad and very 60s TV where the acting was slightly more "theatrical" than what you typically see on TV today. The vignette very much evoked a feel of 60s television.

3) As for McCoy, I can name, off the top of my head, at least half a dozen to a dozen episodes where McCoy comes in at the epilogue of a slightly more somber episode to liven things up. Secondly this was the "epilogue" of "The Turnabout Intruder" and from McCoy's perspective what is there to be down about? Dr. Lester is going to get the care she needs, and Kirk is back. McCoy was always the optimistic "silver lining" guy.

Yancy

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, that was totally a Shatner impersonation. Come on. :lol:

The actors are all pretty good. Chuck Huber is fine as McCoy, but he struggled with a little tin-eared dialogue: no one is going to say "Is that a smile I see on your face?" but rather "Is that a smile I see?" When you screw up a colloquialism there's always a bit of a "thud."