"Counterpoint" Question

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Smiley, May 11, 2009.

1. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the end of the episode, it is revealed that the telepaths escaped detection by hiding in shuttles with special shielding. Those shuttles enter the wormhole, never to be seen again, and it does not appear that they visit Voyager before making the trip. With that in mind, where were Tuvok, Vorik, and the other resident telepath during that inspection? How did they go unnoticed by the inspectors?

2. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

That was never explained, in fact we didn't even see Tuvok try to hide, I think he may have been standing on the bridge...it didn't make any sense.

3. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Hum damn...

Could they have beamed over? Or hidden in another transporter buffer?

4. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Its not even the biggest inconsistency really...a random Vulcan shows up in season 7 who shouldn't even be on the ship according to "Counterpoint"
    Maybe the picked the Vulcan up at some point from some distant, lost Vulcan colony in between episodes :rolleyes:

5. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care as much about between-episode consistency because there are many more possible interpretations for them. When an episode doesn't pay attention to itself, it bothers me a bit more. I wonder if the explanation was in a deleted scene or in the script and just cut from the final episode.

6. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

I assumed it was because Kashyk was putting on an act pretending to be nice in front of Janeway, up until the bit where he revealed that actually he was double crossing her - at that point he would have had Tuvok and the other Voyager crew who were telepathic rounded up but before he could he realised she had tricked him too and was embarrassed so left quickly without arresting anyone rather than having to admit to his colleagues he had goofed......

I love this episode, especially the moment the vegetables rematerialise!

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

As yes, the episode that revealed they had a Betazoid the whole time. Wouldn't a mind-reader have been useful at some point before and after?

I think it's a good episode though.

8. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Voyager really was just stupid

9. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In 2001, the BBC in Britain ran a "Star Trek Night" of themed programmes to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the franchise. The captains from each of the four series (Enterprise was due to premiere that year) were asked to choose their favourite episode, and the four episodes were presented for a viewer phone-in vote. The winning episode was then shown at the end of the night.

William Shatner chose "The City of the Edge of Forever", Patrick Stewart chose "In Theory" (which he directed), Avery Brooks chose "Far Beyond the Stars", and Kate Mulgrew chose "Counterpoint".

"Counterpoint" won the vote. :wtf: I remember actually shouting, "What?!" at the screen.

10. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

As I remember Janeway was also chosen as the best captain.
    Voyager is more popular in the UK, I've seen it voted as the best show on UK forums, so much for British having good taste.

Mind you, I hate "Far Beyond the Stars" and "In Theory" is good but nothing special.

11. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

'Whole time'? Isn't the Betazoid they mention Lon Suder, the guy who was all ax crazy and died in the third season opener?

12. 15wss

15wss Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not surprised that Shatner would have chosen "The City..." - that was a good episode and - well, maybe he even liked having Joan Collins as the guest star. I would have thought that Patrick Stewart would have chosen "The Inner Light," simply because that was Patrick Stewart in a strong portrayal and Picard in a very unusual and rich situation. I really liked "Far Beyond the Stars," and am not surprised at all that Avery Brooks did too. Rather interesting that Kate Mulgrew chose "Counterpoint" - on the other hand, it was Janeway with a touch of romance and doubt (or maybe neither - she did fool Kashyk in the end; I thought there was enough ambiguity to go either way).

I think the plot gaps about how many telepaths (or how powerful they were) were on Voyager in "Counterpoint" were a bit silly, but I liked it as an episode, since I thought Janeway and Kashyk's chemistry and competition were very intriguing. I could have sworn that Tuvok and Vorik were kept hidden, or at least helping the telepaths escaping persecution temporarily.

13. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure Tuvok is right there on the bridge at the end when Kashyk is doing his final inspection - can anyone lucky enough to possess it on dvd confirm?

14. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

Yes, that would be the guy. He wasn't really a viable source to use for missions after that point.

I think it was explained that they teleported the Voyager telepaths just before the ships went through the wormhole, IIRC.

15. Praetorian

Nah, there were another Betazoid, a female one, called Jarot. That's who Tomalak was talking about...

16. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

I thought she died in the first episode?

17. Praetorian

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I remember her saying she liked the "sting within a sting" aspect of it. Besides, it had been a while since Janeway had much to do besides mentor Seven or the Doctor so she was also excited about that.

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the one. She turns up in the Elite Force PC game too, in which it is revealed she's a trained doctor. So not only is she telepathic, but she could have eased their "only the EMH and Tom Paris know first aid" dilemma. Maybe she was always off duty when the interesting stuff happened?

That's right, it does seem to be more popular for some reason. It was always getting wall-to-wall coverage in the Star Trek Monthly magazine, and DS9 was lucky to get a few pages.

20. Praetorian

Hell, in some episodes we could see a medical staff (or atleast blue shirts) helping the Doctor when there were alot of injured people! Why did he need Kes/Paris as a nurse? =P

Last edited: May 17, 2009