In Defense of the Occupation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by SpaceBrotha, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceBrotha

SpaceBrotha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I propose that the Cardassian occupation of the Bajorans was not only fair but morally correct. The Bajorans were a naïve and juvenile race compared to the Cardassians. If anything the Bajorans were blessed by the Cardassian occupation. It forced them to mature as a race and fight for their survival thus making them value their lives, and understand what it means to truly live.

Many civilizations were created by the blood and sweat of inferior cultures. Where would America be now if it had not had the mighty Negros to tend her fields and fight her wars? Where would the English be if she did not have India to fund her illustrious empire? Would we still have the pyramids if our ancient black brethren did not enslave the barbarous Hebrews? DS9 will be the Bajorans contribution to future generations.

It matters not the individual suffering of a race. What matters is the destiny of the race as a whole. Thus the Cardassians shall go over and the Bajorans shall go under. The fact that the Bajorans were able to win their independence only shows that they have earned the right to continue living and fighting in the great race for survival. The Cardassians should not be demonized for their aspirations. Nay they should be lauded and applauded for bettering the the Bajoran race. Yay the Cardassians have embiggened the Bajoran civilization. Any Bajoran that died in slavery was not fit enough or strong enough to continue on into the superior post Cardassian occupation world. This is pure evolution. Arguing this fact would be tantamount to supporting creative design as opposed to natural selection.

I will conclude and summarize my argument thusly. The Cardassians were undoubtedly correct in their actions, and they have received a severe mis-service by the way their actions have been recorded in Star Trek history. Hopefully future generations will see this and do whatever they can to mend the grievances their ancestors have wrought upon the great name of Cardassia.

2. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude, I could tell this was a bad troll post half way through the second sentence. Subtlety dude. Subtlety.:sigh:

3. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why would it be a troll? Because the opinion differs from yours?

4. mysticgeek

mysticgeek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Those are some good points. Dukat actually mentioned that to Kira ... saying that Bajor is better off because of the occupation. It made them stronger as a people.
    That is another reason the two of them should be together ... she could unite with Dukat and remind her world that they are a better world because of the occupation.

5. jazzstick

That Dukat likes Bajoran women like he likes his Kanarr,
    Strong and spicy, with a kick!

6. SpaceBrotha

My ideas may be hard to accept for you. However they are correct and I stand by them.

7. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

8. jazzstick

My my my aren't you witty!

I bet you had that saved up for just the right time!

LAME!

9. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Nah. Like, three second Youtube search.

10. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Oh boy!:cardie:

Before I go of on a (fully justified) monologue, can someone tell me if this is a very bad attempt at irony?

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Are we supposed to laugh? Because I'm not laughing.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you two a tag team?

13. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe my resolve will eventually weaken, but right now I'm thinking, "Nah. I am just not going to play this game."

I am not again going to go over and over and over with somebody what's morally reprehensible about enslaving people, even if in the end it does make them "stronger."

If it by some it chance does, the credit for this greater strength goes to the enslaved peoples, not their enslavers, and that includes my very own white American ancestors. I don't know that any of them owned slaves (I expect all of them were too dang poor), but I know for a fact that at least one or two of them were members of the Ku Klux Klan, and BTW, the Klan didn't make the objects of its attentions "stronger" either.

Either Spacebrotha is having us on, or he and I just have...how to put this?...wildly different views of history. And reality, for that matter.

14. SpaceBrotha

Why would you laugh at something serious?

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I recall the only good thing that the Cardassians did was get rid of a caste system...though they replaced it with a system of wholesale discrimination, all Bajorans are scum!, which they believed was completely cromulent.

You have to wonder what would have happened to Bajor if Sisko never found the wormhole. Given how fractured and that thanks to the Cardassians they were stuck in a cycle of violence that the government would have collapsed and the various factions would have gone to war against each other. The Bajoran civilisation that lasted over 500,000 years might have been destroyed in just a year of "freedom". So I think that all the Cardassians did was tear the Bajoran civilisation to the ground and leave it to die.

16. jazzstick

OMG! Kegg! Once again your brilliant observation rings true!

Yes we are a tag team, we are working together to cloud up this BBS! Why the hell would I want to team up with someone whose opinion, while valid I find offensive, I don't even know who this weird-o is!

I'm simply pointing out that it seems like everybody is jump to conclusions, sure his opinion is very very offensive but its his opinion!

17. SpaceBrotha

@DiaboliKate

I am in no way comparing the Cardassians to the KKK. The KKK is just a semi-organized group of racist red necks that like to play dress up, drink, and hate on non-whites. The Cardassians had an actual cause for enslaving the Bajorans that was not based on hatred. They saw an inferior race and they took it upon themselves to subject and enlighten them. If there is any hatred towards the Bajorans now it is only because it reminds them of their own weakness of not being able to occupy Bajor for longer than 50 years. The free Bajoran is just a reminder of that weakness.

18. SpaceBrotha

You are correct. If it was not for federation assistance the Bajorans would probably have killed many more of themselves in civil war. I am not sure if this is a bad thing though as it is just more natural selection.

Also excellent use of the word cromulent.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Because I think this is a bad attempt at trolling, something thats should elicit laugher but instead turns out very disappointing.

Do I really need to point out all the very bad parts about your post? Let's try...

And I left out all the parts about fictional races. The parts about actual cultures is bad enough.

20. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.