Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It depends how long the series runs for. I'm not sure if we truly know when Bruce begins his training, but I always thought he started in his late teens/early 20's. Perhaps the show could skip a few years. Who knows. It would be interesting if at the end of the series Bruce decides to leave Gotham to pursue his training.

I'm aware. I was more so speaking for Montoya, Bullock and Allen.

I always thought James Gandolfini would have been a great Bullock, but he's no longer with us now. John Goodman could be interesting. He's been known to do TV work in the past.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Or any of the various heavy set guys who played Tony Soprano's underlings in The Sopranos?

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought Montoya and Allen were contemporaries of Bruce, if not a little younger. I wouldn't expect to see them. That doesn't mean they don't come from cop families. We could see their mothers or fathers.

Bullock would be the same age as Gordon. So it's not like we would see the slovenly heavyset cop we know when Bruce is the Batman. The Bullock we get in this show could be in his prime, or just past his prime, maybe an Andy Sipowitz (of NYPD Blue) type.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You left in a stray "Christopher wrote" quote tag there. It's JacksonArcher being quoted.

5. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops, sorry. Fixed it.

6. Captaindemotion

Bump! British director Danny Cannon, possibly best known for Stallone's Dredd, will return to the world of comic adaptations by directing the pilot of this show.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65650

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Without Roy Scheider, err, Rob Schneider, he is good to go. That dude single handedly ruined Stallone's Dredd.

8. Captaindemotion

^ Whatever flaws Dredd may have had, I thought Cannon's direction was fine. Other than the early episodes of CSI which he directed, I haven't seen much of his work since.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Christopher

Bruce starts out at 12 and puts on the cape in the finale? So either they expect the show to run for 13 years or more, or it's going to have some major time jumps, or they're going to borrow that Silver Age idea that teenage Bruce was the first Robin and adopted that persona to train under a master detective.

This is basically what Millar and Gough were going to do in their Bruce Wayne series before the movie-driven "Bat-embargo" required them to abandon the idea and do Smallville instead. But that was supposed to be about Bruce as a twentysomething adult, I believe, much like Arrow's Oliver Queen. If they are focusing on his teen years, that makes it even more like Smallville.

The statement is unclear on whether Gordon will still be the lead character, whether Bruce's story is the core plot or an ongoing subplot. And what the hell is that turn of phrase, "an operatic soap?" "Soap" is short for "soap opera" to begin with, so that's kind of a tautology.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

... to this whole freaking idea. Sounds a lot like Arrow, except much worse, and it's a wonder Arrow is as good as it is in the first place. :scream:

12. Christopher

I don't see the comparison to Arrow. Arrow begins with an adult Oliver Queen already in his vigilante role, taking on fully formed nemeses. The show has been about his maturation from vigilante to hero, sure, but he's been in costume since week one. This sounds far, far more like Smallville. And we've already had Smallville for ten years and it kind of drove the concept into the ground.

I hope the Gordon-centric, police-procedural focus hasn't been entirely abandoned. That's the one thing that could make this more than a Smallville rehash.

13. Gaith

Really? A "city on the brink"? Outlandish criminals/villains? Well-intentioned detectives who just may be overmatched? No superpowers? DC Comics? Benevolent yet tortured billionaires? Am I describing Arrow or this Gotham show here? Still don't see it? ;)

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Having Bruce in the show at all is just begging for failure. No one cares about Bruce. We want the Bat. I could see a Gordon centric show working just barely, although introducing batmans rogues before his arrival makes no sense with only a few exceptions. I dont want dark brooding Bruce waffling between his lives mission and maybe being a normal person for the next few years.

15. Christopher

Hmm, I suppose it's true that there are some similarities, though there are obvious differences as well. Still, just as the "teen hero before he dons the cape" thing feels derivative of Smallville (ironically, since Smallville was retooled from Bruce Wayne to begin with), you're right that the "city on the brink" aspect would probably make it feel derivative of Arrow to many people. Which, again, would be kind of an irony, since Arrow is basically inspired by Nolan's Batman, and Green Arrow has always been something of a Batman clone. So we'd have a show about Bruce Wayne that's seen as derivative of two things that were both derivative of Batman. Which is an unfortunate position to be in.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure what to make of this. If it really does focus on Bruce Wayne and his evolution into Batman, then I am kind of disappointment. I've been wanting a good live action Batman show for ages, but I don't know if I really want to see them go the Smallville route. We already got that with Superman, and I don't really see the need to do it with Batman too. If you want to do a show with Bruce Wayne, The Riddler, Joker, The Penguin, ect. just do a full on Batman show.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this still supposed to be in the Nolanverse as the thread title suggests?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it sounds like it will be influenced by the Nolanverse, but not actually part of it. It really can't be since the Bruce Wayne material sounds like it will be covering the same material as Batman Begins.

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Bruce Wayne is really 12, then I can't see how he's the main character. That's a little young for the lead of a Fox series. Even Clark was older than that at the start of Smallville. I'd guess either Gordon is still the main character, or the pilot time jumps until Bruce is 16 which could let him be the lead and makes it plausible to end as Batman.

20. Gaith

It other words: fundamental aspects of the show are in constant flux.