Star Trek comics on DVD

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mmtz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, I've got to get this.

2. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I have to admit, I'm on that list.

I also haven't looked at those issues in a long time, and I'm starting to worry, as I lacked much of a "strategy" in the writing. :eek:

Nevertheless, I'm very excited about this DVD...

3. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't account for 30-some additional comics either, but Rich Handley has provided some of the additional content to GIT Corp. Stuff like scans of reprint editions from several publishers.

4. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just got an email from Rich Handley about the comic strips. CBS nixed plans to include the strips in the DVD due to long-standing confusion about ownership. This is the same problem that prevented print publication of the strips.

The solicitation that appears in this month's Previews was sent to Diamond before CBS made its decision.

bummer

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aww, no. That's a shame.

Well, there will still be a lot I've never read: most of the Gold Keys (which, frankly, I could take or leave), a few of the Malibu DS9s, most of the Marvel/Paramount Comics material, and a fair number of the Wildstorm titles. But getting those comic strips would've been a great bonus.

6. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

agreed. it's a bummer but i'm still getting it.

7. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Please excuse the stupid question but I'ver never heard of comics on DVD before.
    Am I to read the comics from the screen?

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes, they are essentially scanned images of the pages of comic books, saved as PDF archives in digital form, AFAIK. Much cheaper than reprinting, warehousing and shipping the actual books, so less financial risk.

9. jam

jam Cadet Newbie

I have joined this forum purely because of the news of this release.

I am devastated that the newspaper comic strip will not form a part of this collection. I have said often in other comics-related forums that I was surprised that these strips had never been collected in book form, and finally, in this thread, I have found the legal reason why. (thanks to mmtz for the link).

Does anyone know precisely what is going to appear in this dvd rom? Specifically, are the UK strips going to appear (although I would've imagined that they would have some legal tie-up as well)?

Although I am British, I have been a mad-keen fan of American Comics since I was about five years old. Back then in the 60's there was quite a flurishing UK comic market as well, not like today. And although many of my favourite artists are American (or British, working on American Comics i.e. Alan Davis), one of my all-time favourites is Mike Noble, who worked on a Star Trek strip for the legendary "TV21". (He also worked on many Gerry Anderson related strips, as TV21 was the official Anderson comic, and I adored his work on all of it!).

If Noble's strips are on this disk, and you've never seen his work before, you are in for a treat!

I visited Rich Handley's site and just about fell into a fit of extescy as it appears he has the UK strips -- but none of the links "worked" ... is this site a work in progress?

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I hope to be posting on this forum as I am a life-long fan of all things "Trek".

10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

No, possibly abandoned after the completion of the project. I haven't heard anything from Rich in ages, but I did get the stuff he put together some time ago.

11. Upper pylon 3

Upper pylon 3 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what's the best price on this (including shipping)? The link in the first post of this thread looks like a great price but they are currently out of stock.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's been released yet, so nobody would have it in stock.

13. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Amazon just e-mailed me to report it shipped today (which is odd, as it's Sunday, but whatever...)

Can't wait to dig into this as soon as it arrives!

14. Christopher

Darn... Amazon says it's still a few days until the estimated shipping date for mine.

15. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

My copy arrived today! :D There is so much content to delve into. I own all of the comics, save for some Gold Key issues, but have not read many issues in the past few years. The digital preservation of these stories is genius and a convenience for those who have these comics packed away. I have simply been perusing the scans of all the lines and selecting issues at random to marvel, no pun intended, at the artwork for the various publishing lines. I look forward to rediscovering some of these more obscure "Treks"

16. Christopher

Amazon has shipped mine and the estimated due date is Thursday, but I'm hoping it might get here as early as today.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know if we will see this in stores like Wal-Mart, Target, or Best Buy? Because I know I've seen some of their Marvel collections at those places, but that stuff is also alot more popular right now.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it wasn't listed on Best Buy's website when I looked yesterday. I don't know how good the other two are for congruency between website and store, though.

19. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

One local comic shop didn't get it in. I don't think BB or CC are going to get it...I've been checking their websites and nada. Looks like Amazon for me.

20. Christopher

Yay, it came today!