Great article about Chris Pine as Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by talfe'anhar, Sep 21, 2013.

1. talfe'anhar

talfe'anhar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed! As I said in the comments there:

Great article, but this in particular:

NAILED it. When I saw that same moment in the theater, I came to the realization that "this IS Kirk! This is Captain James Kirk!"

It was just a flawless moment by both Pine and Quinto alike.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for sharing this article. I really appreciate. I was really affected by Pine's performance (and, although ?Kirk and Spock were not exactly friends at that point in the movie, I was touched by the way Kirk held Spock's shoulder to steady himself when Pike died. All the formalities of what broke their friendship up, even temporarily, seemed unimportant when it came down to it).

So, yea, the new Trek franchise is littered with many things that frustrate this fan, from awkward sets, super warp drives and transporter devices, odd new rules, but if I had to tell everyone why I do watch these films, and if I could only give one single reason, it's Pine. He has done the impossible and has become Kirk just as Shatner had. I'll watch any future films for, at minimum, his performances.

Thanks again.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pine had some great moments as Kirk in both movies. In ST09, when Uhura looks at him and says 'I hope you know what you're doing....captain', and he responds with 'So do I'.... everything about that screamed Kirk to me.

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Anyone else think that Shatner's Kirk got better lines?

From the article:
    In a low, menacing voice, he says, “I was authorized to end you. And the only reason why you are still alive is because I am allowing it.”
    His quiet fury here is reminiscent of a previous encounter between the original versions of Kirk and Khan:
    “Kirk … You’re still alive, my old friend.”
    “Still … old … ‘friend.’ You’ve managed to kill everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target!”

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After reading this I made sure to keep a look out during my viewing today, and MAN that is Shatner right there! He even smirks like Shatner! It really struck me because I've been watching a lot of TOS lately.

7. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Off topic, but when Cumberbatch says "Captain" as he meets Kirk, it sent a shiver down my spine.

It was so reminiscent of the way Khan says "Admiral..." in TWoK.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

9. pineiskirk

pineiskirk Ensign Newbie

That was a great article to read about chris pine's captain kirk .