Marvel release dates: Thor and The Avengers delayed a year

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Mar 12, 2009.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

If they do ANYTHING with "Ultimate Cap" or the Truth story, I will have nothing to do with either the Cap solo OR the Avengers that is based on it.

I'm SICK of seeing Cap "deconsructed" (ie torn down and rendered ignoble) for the jaded, so-called sensitivities of the modern audience.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not. JMS is leaving Thor because he made the book popular enough that it was going to be the focus of the next crossover event. And JMS didn't want to coordinate with a crossover, so he walked away.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Good on them for not rushing things.

So far the Avenger "tie ins" like Iron Man and Hulk (2008) have been awesome. Well cast and made by people who respect and understand the characters and stories.

Thor seems in good hands too and all that remains is finding the right people for Cap America.

If that means the Avengers movie is being pushed back a year to get the other movies comfortably in place before combining it all together. Avengers has the possibility to be THE blockbuster of 2012 if done right so i hope they do it right both storywise and characterwise.

And i just can't wait to see Cap yell "Avengers Assemble!" (i'll be the guy who then yells "Hell Yeah! :lol:)

4. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone compared the naysayers' griping about this project to the griping about Star Wars never getting done. That's not a very good comparison. You see Star Wars got done because it had one person with one vision. Love him or hate him, George Lucas was that person who was able to get people together and get things done. Where is that person when it comes to the Avengers project? The person who is able to get these various egos like Favareau, Downey, Branagh and the like and to say "This is what's going to be done and this is how it's going to be done and if you don't like it, you can go fuck yourself with a churro!"? This is a massive undertaking, and with the will he/won't he contract negotiations not too long ago along with the changing release dates (which won't end I predict), this is becoming more of a "too many chiefs and not enough indians" scenario. Sorry to play devil's advocate, but show me that person with that leadership position, and I'll be convinced that this is moving forward successfully.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    I do believe the 'Chief' is Kevin Friege, head of Marvel Studios. I would wager that contract negotions have been accounted for on just how this whole Avengers Assemble movie is going to come together. Favreau, Downey and Norton all knew they were part of a growing puzzle. Marvel Studios signed Jackson to a 10 picture deal, obviously Samuel Jackson is in on the 'big picture. I just have to believe that before signing and coming on board Branagh, the cast of Thor and who ever ends up doing Captain America will have the details all laid out in front of them regarding 'the plan'.

6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure why people are concerned about release dates being too close together. Hasn't the box office shown that there can be multiple smash hits in one summer? 1989 is one major example. If the movie is good, then people will see it.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I can live with all of that.

As someone else said, I'd really like to see them get these right and build the perfect momentum for a badass Avengers movie.

Though I'm still skeptical as to how good Thor could be, even with Branagh at the helm.

8. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But is he just a glorified PR guy whose job is to stroke already overinflated egos, or is he someone with genuine power and authority who has the stones to put people in their places and is concerned with the project as a whole and not a few pampered meat puppets and their directors. Sure, IM and Hulk knocked it out of the park, but when it comes to doing the other movies and then tying them all together, will he crack the whip and get things done when they have to get done? I'm just cautiously optimistic about this. Heavy on the cautious.

9. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that there’s more casting news for the live-action “Thor” movie from Marvel Studios, being directed by Kenneth Branagh. Jaimie Alexander (”Kyle XY”) and Colm Feore (”The Chronicles of Riddick”) have joined the cast alongside Chris Hemsworth as the God of Thunder,Alexander and Feore join Chris Hemsworth, already cast as Thor, Tom Hiddleston, who will play the Norse trickster god Loki, and Natalie Portman as Thor’s human love Jane Foster. Alexande will be playing the Asgardian warrior Sif, a lover of Thor’s. Feore’s character is unknown but has been confirmed as a villain

http://www.shockya.com/news/2009/09/24/more-thor-casting-news/