DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batman Eternal #11 felt like it was written by Morrison. You had that bizarre cartoon art, Scorpina, the Batman of Argentina, bizarre off the cuff dialogue...

What do people of the Superman: Doomed story? It's not great but it's not bad either, which is better than most of the New 52 Superman stories. Though come to think of it it's a total rehash of Trinity War which was about Superman being infected and turning violent and his friends trying to cure him...

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doomed hasn't been bad. At least the parts that I've read in Action and Superman/Wonder Woman. I'll be glad to get past it though.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That would explain it. I'm not a fan of Morrison. I was very happy when his run on Action Comics ended.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Y'know, the more I read Rich's reporting about "The Band-Aid," the more I think DC is running a disinformation campaign against him, because nothing about "The Band-Aid" makes any sense at all. It wouldn't be the first time Rich has been taken in by utter bullshit, and it won't be the last.

6. Admiral_Young

"Nothing making sense." Ideas changing all the time. People not knowing what exactly is going on? Sounds like DiDio to me. ;)

7. Allyn Gibson

Which is why this would be the perfect disinformation campaign -- it plays right into the stereotype people have of Didio and his management style. :)

8. Savage Dragon

Just read Superman #32. I really liked it. It's a really cool twist to the Superman mythos. Looking forward to seeing where they take us.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really liked Geoff Johns' all too brief run on Superman and the book feels instantly important again.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Savage Dragon

For some reason I thought Soule was taking over. I'm not familiar with Finch.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If Finch can avoid "over detailing" stuff, he'll be fine as far as a schedule goes. Even so, I expect him to be alternating arcs with another artist.

Personally, I'll probably be picking up Wonder Woman again now with it not focusing so much on the Greek god stuff.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Allyn Gibson

I'm going to give this a try. I gave up on Simone's Batgirl because I found it too relentlessly grim. This sounds more like what I want to read -- something fun. Though the concept does sound like something more appropriate for Stephanie Brown.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Their pitch sounds more interesting than what Simone was doing.

16. Admiral_Young

I actually agree on both accounts. I gave up after the first arc...I suspect that Simone wasn't able to do what she wanted to do with Babs, which is a shame. We know about the hubbub surrounding her first firing from the title a couple of years ago. This sounds like something of a fresh start. I kind of like the redesign...the leg pouch reminds me of Steph's costume. The concept is interesting. I'll probably give this a chance.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Interesting costume for Batgirl. That kind of outfit was being discussed in the Superman v Batman thread for Superman.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Meh. I was going to stop reading anyway. Their take only confirms it. Rather than taking Wonder Woman in a new direction, it sounds like they are just dragging her back to what she was before... just another super hero...

Azzerello and Chiang's vision of Wonder Woman was a breath of fresh air. And pretty much ignoring the rest of continuity and just telling the best story they could: wonderful. I wish more solo books did that.

Not everything needs to be super connected to everything else.

19. Admiral_Young

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks like i'll be trying out the new Batgirl. i wasn't a fan of the Simone run at all.

as for the new creative team for Wonder Woman...i'll give it a few issues. Finch used to be such a great artist. look at his older stuff like New Avengers or especially his run on Moon Knight...and look at Forever Evil.