Hot dogs, a bomb squad, stadium evacuation and the Phillie Phantic.

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Aragorn, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hot dogs outside Philly ballpark cause bomb scare

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – After a bomb scare at the Philadelphia Phillies’ ballpark, authorities pointed the finger at a fuzzy green suspect—The Phillie Phanatic.

Hours before the Phillies-Atlanta Braves’ game on Wednesday night, a film crew shot a commercial of the mascot shooting heavily wrapped hot dogs from a launcher.

But someone inadvertently left three of the duct taped hot dogs outside the ballpark, sparking security fears. Stadium employees were evacuated and the bomb squad was called in.

Only after the packages were blown up did authorities realize they’d just exploded some sausages.

"We saw something that looked suspicious," said Michael Stiles, Phillies senior vice president, administration and operations. "We did the right thing. It turned out to be nothing. We could have gone over and picked it up and thrown it in the trash and been done with it. But if we had been wrong, somebody might have lost an arm."

After the detonation, the game went on as scheduled.

"I’d rather them blow up some hot dogs or some ketchup and mustard and relish than have it be a real bomb," reliever Chad Durbin said. "Better safe than sorry."

(Note to mods, I literally pulled this story off the AP wire, so there's no site to link to.)

2. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Hot dogs, a bomb squad, stadium evacuation and the Phillie Phantic

Sweet - I knew the Phanatic was the best mascot ever, and this just clinches it. He's practically a terrorist!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Hot dogs, a bomb squad, stadium evacuation and the Phillie Phantic

I bet they relished the opportunity.