who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dal Rassak, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

That would be great!! :)
    I thought that she were's those uniforms to look less formal when she talked with patients.

2. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think it's a result of the fact that they just weren't sure what to do with her character. In the pitot she wore a Uhura-esque uniform. Then they decided to play up her counselor/captains advisor role and make her more like a civilian. Then, as was pointed out by others, they started going back to Troi being a Starfleet officer. I'm betting in some meetings they realized that taking her out of uniform had been a mistake but were unsure how to fix it. Jellico was an easy way to do that.

I like her better in uniform, but I'm a girl. Star Trek has never been above sexing up the women for ratings (watch how Kira's uniform changes over the years on DS9 and of course theres Seven)

3. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

That was my take as well.

4. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Those first season jumpsuits were the worst though... with those arrows pointing down south a little too exactly.

5. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...
    Although, Seven never looked better than in her outfit for "Workforce", which made me rethink the whole catsuit thing.

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Putting Troi in a standard uniform was a good move. The miniskirt and jumpsuits weren't flattering. The dress was better for her build but was inappropriate for bridge duty.

7. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No

We lost the best idea ever. :weep:

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

On one hand I can understand why Troi was in civvies most of the time, crewmembers might not feel comfortable with the reminder that she is their superior when they come to talk to her, just as some of the civilians might not like to speak to someone in uniform about their problems.

However, she is an officer in Starfleet and so should have been in uniform when on the Bridge. When Jellico finally gets her back into one, she looks better in it than she ever did in any of her catsuits.

The vast majority of people look good in a fitted uniform, the PTB don't have to rub our faces in the...eh...fact that Troi (not to mention Seven and T'Pol) are women. It's one cliché they really should drop, unless we have a man strutting around in little more than a codpiece to even things up in the next series :lol:

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She had a third boob.

His name was Will Riker.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm surprised he didn't recycle the dual belly-buttons from Genesis II.

(The same way he lifted Data from The Questor Tapes and repurposed Decker and Ilia as Riker and Troi.)

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Captain Jellico would disagree with you.

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have a winner! :lol:

13. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jellico said "Standard" uniform. It is possible that her outfit could have been a set of professional attire classified as a nonstandard uniform. No way of knowing that

14. Mykl

Mykl Ensign Newbie

From a TV context, it would have looked boring with everyone in the same costume. Only Picard & Riker wore a 'standard' without some accessories. Data was yellow, Geordi has his VISOR, etc. Even that changed with Picard's 'casual wear'. What struck me as funny was when I met Marina Sirtis in person at a convention during TNG's run, it was obvious that the costume was actually not flattering to her. It was a rare case of seeing a TV actor in person and going "Wow! They are so much better looking than on the show!" And she didn't look bad in any of those silly wardrobe choices.

But it is fun to create a reason why, isn't it. And yeah, Riker was the 3rd boob.

15. Squiggy

What the hell is a "nonstandard uniform"?

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

A non-uniform uniform.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My problem with the catsuit was that it looked like Troi was always dressed to go out clubbing. Totally inappropriate, especially with that cleavage and neckline!

I wouldn't be surprised if Marina Sirtis was always being asked in the Trek conventions by fans about when she would finally get her own uniform.:lol:

18. Squiggy

So...clothes.

19. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Dress uniform, for one thing.

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to think of a non-uniform uniform being a lack of clothes. :drool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.