So I cancelled Netflix today.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by darkshadow0001, Nov 23, 2010.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My purpose of this thread wasn't to start a complaint, I just wanted people's opinions of Blockbuster's rental service. I just stated my complaints because of the poor service I've received from them the last few months. Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining with this thread :)

I think I probably would of stayed with them too if I had a steadier job. Getting called off every so often doesn't help especially when you're only working part-time. I don't know why are store has to hire so many seasonal help and then call people off. It's like you train new people to lose your own hours, it feels like a slap in the face :)

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Go to the account section. Go to change membership. There's an option at the bottom.

1 DVD at a time (limit 2 rentals a month) (watch instantly up to 2 hours a month on your pc or mac--no netflix ready device or Starz) for $4.99 a month

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Didn't Blockbuster also file for Bankruptcy? Sure, they could reorganize and come out stronger, but, I don't know...

I don't know anyone who uses Blockbuster's online service.

The best deal IS Netflix.

And it's curious to me that the OP is worried about money, but rather saving 10 bucks a month (by moving to a smaller plan) they would rather continue paying the same amount for service that most people think isn't very good.

I don't get that.

(I'm a 1 at a time unlimited with streaming. Love it.)

4. PlixTixiplik

PlixTixiplik Commodore Commodore

This is definitely not true. I probably average 3 hours per evening of Netflix streaming through my PS3, 3 hours a week of TV on Hulu, college football basically all Saturday on espn3, plus NFL football through "other" online sources on Sunday - in addition to my regular internet use - and I never use even more than 100 Gb a month. In August I used 68 Gb, September 73 Gb, and so far this month 61 Gb.

Of course no one likes it when prices go up, but it's an inevitable feature of any product or service. Considering that Neftlix lowered their prices a few years ago I don't think this is a travesty. Especially given that their instant view selection has increased hugely in that time.

5. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm on the 1-disc at a time unlimited plan. I won't complain too much about the $1 price increase. I'm never happy when services increase their price, but I feel like I am definitely getting my money's worth. I might only watch about 1 disc per week, but I am watching entire series on streaming through my Wii. The internet connection is great, the picture quality is overall pretty good. As Netflix continues to position itself more and more towards offering streaming content, I may not even need the DVDs anymore (but they'll need to double or triple their inventory of streaming content).

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, so for the OP $3 is a big deal. I'll accept that at face value.
    Like another said, why aren't you just dialing back?
    The one at a time plan is GOING BACK to $9.99. Really that's all plans returning to what they were circa 2008. Netflix dropped their base price when Blockbuster began doing the mail away service.
    With streaming, if you have that via Wii, PS or BluRay this plan is totally worth it. I bet I watch 10 movies a month via disc and streaming. That then for me is even better than the $1 RedBox cause Netflix has a selection those boxes can't compete with.

As to you saying 80% of your discs were badly scratched or cracked I find that hard to believe. In my 4 years with them I've had ONE cracked disc and only 2-3 so scratched they wouldn't play well. Memento was one of them.

I too am amazed you flatly cancelled before doing research to determine if BB would be something you'd like. As noted "half a loaf" via unlimited one at a time, is better than "no loaf".

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I'm on the 1 disc+ streaming and i'm thinking of just doing streaming. I got a feeling that theres going to be more new releases on the streaming in the next few years. I also believe in 10-15 years they will do away with discs all together. I don't watch my discs that much anyway and the next few years looks good movie wise so I might just go to the theatres more often.

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm on "1 Disc + Unlimited Streaming" and will be switching to just "Unlimited Streaming" when the new plans go into effect. I don't like bothering with mailing DVDs, and I get a lot of use out of the streaming. Comcast's 250 gb limit has never been a problem.

9. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The past year 80% of my discs has been badly scratched or cracked. The first FIVE years most of the time was fine. I've had more then one cracked disc... I'd say at least 7 or 8.

My reasoning for cancelling is not just because of the raise in price, it's also because of my job being unsteady. Please keep that in mind :) Netflix is a WANT service in my life not a NEED. Until I find a job that's more steady, I will have to put Netflix on hold after while. That's the majority of my reasoning.

Also my question about Blockbuster was because I noticed they had games to rent on the online service as well... I never noticed that before, and I was just wondering how good their service was.

10. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

To answer your question, Blockbuster's service is horrible. That's part of the reason they are (probably) going out of business soon.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You misunderstand my point. I'm perfectly aware of that plan; it's the one I originally had before I chose to upgrade to unlimited 1-at-a-time. My point is that they sent me a letter saying they were going to raise the price for that plan by a dollar a month, but I could get it for a dollar less if I switched to unlimited online and no DVDs. And that's of no use to me since I don't have the bandwidth for online viewing, so I'm saying that I wish the alternative they offered had been the opposite, all DVDs and no online. But I don't want to drop back down to only 2 a month.

12. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

It will be a lot sooner than that.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sounds like someone is tampering with your mail.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This past year-to-date I've not had one bad disc, scratched too bad to play or cracked. Not one and I go through a lot of discs. Something does sound suspect here. Do you have a roommate or someone who might want to screw with you?

With an unstable job I can see cancelling Netflix or any WANT. I've nearly stopped getting any monthly comics the last two years, instead waiting on collected editions which can then be found themselves discounted.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So are you saying you'd like a 2-at-a-time or 3-at-a-time DVD plan minus the cost of Instant Netflix?

Or are you saying you just don't feel like paying the extra dollar for the plan you already have?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm also on the unlimited streaming/one DVD plan, and I don't mind the $1 boost. My viewing is about 90% streaming, 10% DVDs anyway.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm saying I probably will pay the extra dollar if it's my only option, but if they're going to offer me a cheaper alternative, I wish it were one I could take advantage of rather than one that's the exact opposite of what I need.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I guess I don't even know what that plan would be. Something in between 2 per month and unlimited? $6.99 for 3 DVDs per month?

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think what he means is something like this:

Netflix Instant Streaming (No DVD Mailing): $7.99 mo
    Netflix Unlimited (One At a Time - DVD Only): $7.99 mo

Or something to that effect. He wants just the DVDs, no instant streaming, and he'd like to see a bit of a discount for not wanting the extra feature of the online streaming.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ah-ha! I'm retarded.