Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Windu

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cooleddie74, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Wi

A fall AFTER getting a million volts pumped through you AND getting your hand chopped off (the shock of that alone could almost kill an ordinary person)? Plus, the last thing he saw before the lightning bath was The Chosen One - the kid the Jedi had tapped as the galaxy's messiah - figuratively stabbing him in the back and siding with the devil himself. (Picture Jesus Christ doing that with Satan.) And it was all his fault for not paying attention and showing the kid a little consideration.

Even if he could have survived the fall...well, to quote from Leisure Suit Larry: "While life is technically still possible, it is for you no longer worth living."

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

As opposed to bringing Kirk back in the "nexus?" ;)

3. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did and it was fine. But it had nothing to do with Sam Jackson or the movies. I don't consider the EU at all when critiquing something else.

4. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Which, you know, is a very good reason for why he didn't come up during the original trilogy, but could come out of the woodwork after those events.

5. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

One of the things Lucas was guilty of was sticking in extraneous characters who served little purpose other than the "coolness" factor in the prequel trilogy. Hopefully Michael Arndt and everyone else involved on the writing side has a little more discipline and focus on the story.

Also, one of the things that I do like about the current SW:EU is that Luke has to mostly go it alone in forming his New Jedi Order.

If episodes 7-9 feature Luke in any meaningful way(and presumably at least something about reforming the Jedi) having a roster of Force ghosts, or a one-handed Mace Windu, or any sort of throwback(Ashoka?) to the old Jedi Order would undercut Luke enormously.

Unless Luke has some interesting conflicts with the old crippled and hidden survivors of the Jedi, than it could potentially be more interesting.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't that more a result of so many background characters in the OT catching everyone's attention and selling really well as action figures despite not having anything important to do in the movie?

Maybe Lucas took it a bit too far in trying to find the new Boba Fett, but menaingless cool characters has become a Star Wars trademark, and it would not surprise me if Disney were to mandate having characters with no relevance to the storyline that could sell action figures anyway.

7. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

huh? The only character that has ever come back from the dead was Darth Maul.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Can you be any more random, Tom? That doesn't even contradict his point since he said he would be fine with bringing back Mace Windu. You don't need to connect every scifi franchise or comment back to Trek. It's really bizarre that you can't even discuss science fiction at all without mentioning or criticizing Trek in the process. You've been doing this for years now.

You don't even have to search to find them, you just pull up your most recent posts:

Your opinion on deaths in the Walking Dead or red shirts in Trek?
    Your opinion on a person shooting someone over a Walking Dead argument, or your impression of Star Trek fans?
    Your opinion on the film Prometheus or Nemesis, Voyager, and TOS?
    Your opinion on Revolution or Treknobabble?

Branch out a little, man. Star Trek is not the entirety of science fiction. Or at least find a different punchline for every point you make.

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

That would be the crap comics. The novels have for the most part ignored that particular bit of silliness.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That might have something to do with the Death Star blowing up.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This could be interesting. We don't know that he died, and Mace windu was awsome. I don't worry about Disney making SW lame or more kid friendly. People were saying they'd do the same thing to Marvel comics, but they've left it alone, and avengers was awesome, so while I'm very worried about what they may do to the Star Wars EU, I'm pretty sure they could make some decent movies, atleast better than the last 3 Lucas did.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

I'm one of the fans who prefers to believe that Palpatine and his evil spirit were both extinguished and wiped from the galaxy when the newly redeemed Anakin threw him to this death down the long reactor shaft.

Yeah, yeah, most of us probably know about the 1990s EU revival of the Emperor in a clone body but even as cool as some of the action figures associated with that storyline have been I'm just not a fan of a huge chunk of the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe for numerous reasons. Some of the stories are so disappointing or downright idiotic they make the Anakin-Padme romance scenes in Episode II look like classic literature and high art.

To me, Palpatine died at the hands of his former cyborg apprentice on the second Death Star and that's that.

13. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or don't troll my posts man. Lighten up. It just ain't all that serious.

14. cooleddie74

Google "the Tonnika Sisters" and read about their fanbase and all the people who want Hasbro action figures of those two ladies. Sometimes all you have to do is stand silently in the background of a scene and get 0.6 seconds of screentime and you're the subject of the biggest cult following since Rasputin.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But remember, there's the vague "echo" of hatred Force users may feel while in orbit over Endor, per Dark Force Rising. ;)

Overall, however, I agree.

16. cooleddie74

Mara Jade allegedly heard Palpatine's evil spirit telepathically say the words "Kill Luke Skywalker" just as the Emperor perished, but some of those stories....meh. I really like the Mara Jade character but some of the events associated with her over the years are pretty silly or forgettable.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm down with that as well. :cool: Enough of all this clone resurrection crap. For ONCE, let dead characters stay dead!

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's not serious, and I'm perfectly lit. :p It's just strange is all.

It's like that time on Voyager...

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hit it.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Being a so-called "master of telekinesis" doesn't matter that much when you're unconscious.

Mas Amedda said that he wasn't dead because they couldn't find a body.