THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing I find funny about the first Thor is that, actually, nothing much is happening. Bad guys get clobbered over the head with his big hammer, then he gets exiled for his behavior, and after a few days, he gets his powers back. And that's it. A greater passage of time would have helped that film immensely to convey the idea that Thor's personality changed.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I loved the first film, especially the humor. It's my personal favorite of the Phase 1 movies.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's clear that things once considered geeky and niche to but a few such as Transformers, the Marvel Comics wider library has found mainstream mass appeal.

Before the '07 Transformers film you couldn't find a person to name more than 5 TF's who wasn't already familiar with them. Once you told someone, at best they'd laugh it off as kiddie fare. Now, regardless of what is sure a mixed bag, Transformers are a well known and excepted franchise of entertainment. Considered widely cool even.

Having spent two weeks at #1 now, Thor Dark World is more proof that the realm of comic book heroes is not relegated to just the niche geeks anymore either.
    Close to $150m in 10 days and a global total in 17 days of $480m with more to come isn't something niche.

Thor as a concept for mass consumption was ripe to fail and yet now I'd say more people are learning about Norse/Viking mythology than they ever got in school and their idea of what Thor and Asgardians look like, belongs to the Marvel version now.

I will not be shocked to see Captain America Winter Soldier do equally as well in April now.
    As much as I throughly enjoyed TDW, CAWS looks perhaps even better.

4. The Old Mixer

I'm proud to say that I can't name five Transformers. Hell, I can't even name two....

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Come on, that's... unlikely. Unless you're very old or very young. I know very little of the Transformers and have gone through a lot of hypno-therapy to forget the movies I can still name many of the transformers. (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream....)

6. The Old Mixer

The original show was after my time, I didn't watch it. I was in my early teens when it started, FWIW. I was aware of its existence and that it was tied into a toy line, that's about it. Had no interest in the movies. I only know the name Optimus Prime because I've seen it come up so much in BBS discussions. Beyond that, I'd have to fall back on, "There's one that turns into a semi truck, right?"

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I think most can at least get Optimus and Megatron. I would have gotten Starcream and Soundwave as well and, certainly after the movie, I got Bumblebee.

That being said, at least the first movie did a terrible job having you get to know the Transformers. I bet for most people, the only robots they can name in the movie are Optimus, Megatron, and Shia LaBeouf.

8. The Old Mixer

Megatron sounds familiar, but I never would have thought of it off the top of my head. Was he the evil one?

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The more I think about, the more I have a problem with Loki's character arc. By the end of the film, he has seen how Thor and Odin truly felt about him. But he keeps on scheming, lying to Thor and whatever he did to Odin.

So any redeemable qualities are gone now. By the end of the film, he turned into a pure bad guy.

10. The Old Mixer

More of a Magnificent Bastard in my book....

11. Trekker4747

Well, he IS the god of trickery and deceit. And, I mean, was he really supposed to be "redeemed"? He's pretty much Thor's arch-nemesis and they're supposed to be constantly at one another's throats.

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reminder: we know when the switcheroo happened...but not how and why yet.

No guarantees that he did any dirt to Odin to get this gig exist that I know of. And production executives can lie at any point about any plot detail.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was told that the scout guy who said "Loki's dead" to Odin was most probably Loki.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I figured that right from the start. He was using that green glow thing Loki used before, so I figured he was Loki in disguise.

15. Trekker4747

I figured that since Loki used that same "disguise" when walking with Thor talking about disguises. (The CA cameo.)

16. Man one of these days, one of these Marvel movies really needs to have a good and memorable story. It really depresses me to watch these movies and compare them to Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Dark Knight, Begins.... Not that I think those ad the greatest movies ever, but at least they aspire to be something a little more substantial. Marvel movies are fun, but oh so empty.

Fun character interactions, Thor and Loki together is always gold. But what a forgettable villain and story.

17. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

I think my favorite part for "over the topness" was Heimadall stabbing a space cruiser to death with a big knife.:guffaw:
    Overall I enjoyed it a lot though.

18. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

After my friend and i had finished watching this at the cinema i turned to her and said 'What do you think happened to Odin?'. Her response was 'Maybe he's in the bathroom'. I laughed so much i think that i scared the people in the row behind who like us were waiting to see the end credit scenes.

19. Trekker4747

My chips remain on Odinsleep.

20. The Old Mixer

Been there, done that.