Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Ant-Man, a founding Avenger who was left out of the Phase One plan will make his introduction into the MCU during Phase Two. Announced during SDCC 2012. As of this time it's speculation if the film will be a late Fall release in November 2014 or another slot. Marvel/Disney may do 3 releases a year during Phase two.

Ant-Man is another Stan Lee/Jack Kirby team-up created character so it's not hard to see why he was chosen. Characters by those guys seem to be adaptable and relatable.

There have been 3 different men to use the Ant-Man persona and early rumors are that the film may feature two of them.

Ant-Man 1 - Hank Pym (original)
    [​IMG]

Ant-Man 2 - Scott Lang (just back from the dead in comics)
    [​IMG]

Ant-Man 3 - Eric O'Grady (started as a SHIELD agent)
    [​IMG]

I expect Janet Van Dyne aka Wasp to at least appear even if she doesn't become Wasp. Especially with the possibility of 2 Ant-Men for the film.
    [​IMG]

I intentionally included a load of links and images for people who are not fully aware of the character. Just in discussion of The Avengers film thread a number have let it be known the films are their only portal in thus far. So I wanted to include in this OP a good primer as details begin to emerge, especially a few weeks from now when Edgar Wright really gets started on the project.

[​IMG]

My thinking is if they do go with two Ant-Men it'll be Pym and O'Grady. You have to have the original and with SHIELD having such an integral influence in the MCU it's easy to use O'Grady. I'd prefer they don't make him as irredeemable and corny as he was often times portrayed. He could be funny man to Pym's straight man I suppose.

Thoughts on this development and what you might like to see for an Ant-Man movie....it's happening.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any reason to believe they're going with two Ant-Men, rather than Hank Pym with something of O'Grady's personality? (Given Hawkeye and Black Widow, I;m assuming Shield will be involved in the Ant-men tech.) Maybe Pym developing the suit, O'Grady stealing it - which seems to mirror the new DC's Atom?

3. Prince of Space

Prince of Space Lieutenant Red Shirt

Can't say I'm too excited about an Ant-Man movie that doesn't lead to Hank and Jan joining the Avengers eventually. That seems to be unlikely, based on what's been revealed been so far.

4. Captain Craig

At least twice in separate interviews over the course of the films development (which no doubt will continue to evolve a bit more) those involved have dangled the prospect of either a Pym/Lang co-existence in the film or Pym/O'Grady.

Here dateline July 2011
    And again dateline June 2012

Now if they go with the Pym/Lang duo that frees up casting to make an older Pym AND have a type of period piece film (for portions of the film) that could maybe tie into Captain America and Winter Soldier...if necessary. Not sure fans would want a 60yr old Pym though. Kinda takes Wasp out of play as well.

Even still, could just be a solo Pym movie. Leave the sequels for expanding to Lang and O'Grady. It could be the first film series to have actively evolving leads...on purpose. That would be a first would it not?

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

So would Simon Pegg be Hank Pym or Scott Lang?

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Wright can't do the second, although it sounds very cool: Iron Man and Hulk's appearance in the MCU seems like a newish thing to Fury (although if I went back and watched all of them again, I'm sure I could read it the opposite way: that the Avengers Initiative was started in the nick of time, after isolated events in the 20th century convinced the American gov't that scary-ass people with scary-ass power would be coming down the pike).

But Cornish could easily be referring to something playing out over a longer period, again ala the Atom.

7. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    I really approve of this thread!

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ugh, Ant-Man, I just can't get behind this at all. Ant-Man is lame and isn't he also sort-of a wife-beating dickhead? How are you going to make THAT work in the MCU?

I'm sure there's others in Marvel's lineup that are a better fit than freaking Ant-Man.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Speaking of wife beating dickheads...

[​IMG]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMRH0_Uf9M[/yt]

Hasn't this one had four movies?

10. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

WHAT!

I DON"T BEAT MY WIFE..in fact she threatens to use RAID
    every time I get uppity..

11. Admiral James Kirk

To be fair Hank Pym never beat his wife in the 616 universe. He did slap her once but he was under the control of Ultron when he did. Unlike Mister Fantastic.

[​IMG]

Didn't this dick have two movies with a reboot on the way?

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hot the hots for Janet when I was a teenager.

13. Captain Craig

One thing AND he was under Ultron's control was he not? Sheesh, hardly an every other appearance behavior pattern.

Tony's not still a drunk despite the Demon in the Bottle storyline.
    Arsenal isn't still shooting heroine despite the one story.

You're showing a severe lack of diversity and knowledge on the character my friend.

14. Trekker4747

Not a big Marvel reader and even less a fan of Ant-Man, in spite of his... proclivities I just find him and his "power set" lame.

15. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Fair enough. I do hope you keep an open mind. I fully think a good series can be done using the Ant-Men and Pym's evolving costume identities in tandem.

16. Trekker4747

It's going to require me to have a big open mind. I mean I wasn't a fan of Iron Man, Thor or Captain America either but they were at least characters and identities I could latch onto and buy into and roll with. Billionaire industrialist in a powered suit, a Norse god and a WWII super solider. None of which have any extra-ordinary powers and such that strains how much belief I'm willing to suspend. Even Hulk is "believable" on a level or two and I find them all pretty interesting.

Ant-Man? Strains how far I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for a movie series and I just find the powers lame and everything I've heard about his character in the comics is that he's kind of a jackass. It's going to be a big "let's see" but I just can't help but think there's a lot of other Marvel characters more suited to be explored and used than Ant-Man.

17. Admiral James Kirk

Just keep an open mind. It has a terrific director and an engaging lead and that can count for a lot.

18. Trekker4747

It can and it's a movie I most likely see, but it's just going to take a lot for me to really get into it and I really wish Marvel had gone with someone else first. Hell, I'd have taken freakin' Namor over Ant-Man.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

FWIW, I'm not a fan of his abilities either, but I'll wait and see how interesting it'll be. This isn't like Iron Man and Captain America (who I knew well) or Thor (who I was slightly skeptical of, but at least sorta got his powers). I'm not counting Hulk. I was skeptical of a reboot there, but he's an established staple so no one doubted a Hulk movie.

20. Admiral James Kirk

I understand. I'm having issues getting myself excited for Guardians of the Galaxy. But I'm keeping an open mind because Marvel has not once failed to entertain me with their movies and I doubt they'll drop the ball now that they're more popular than ever. :)