1966 Batman series on Blu-ray and DVD November 2014 discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That must have been it, but I thought I was younger.

Then again, I have a lot of vivid memories of things that couldn't possibly have happened the way I remember. Getting old sucks. ;)

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Catching an episode of the Batman show in syndication as a tyke in the early 70s was my first-ever exposure to the very idea of super-heroes. Thus a lifelong obsession was born....

It was the episode in which Roddy McDowall's Bookworm traps the Dynamic Duo in a giant cookbook, IIRC.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. Christopher

Oh, I'm so disappointed they never brought Bookworm back. Roddy McDowall was always fabulous, and the Bookworm had a nifty gimmick, very literary. (Although of course McDowall did get a second shot at Batman villainy, voicing the Mad Hatter on B:TAS.)

5. The Old Mixer

Funny...I'd long misremembered it as a Mad Hatter episode until I caught it recently on Me-TV.....

6. Christopher

^Perhaps because you associate McDowall more with that role?

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The only time I remember Bruce's parents being mentioned on the show was during a conversation with Dick about the dangers of his secret identity being revealed. I seem to remember them sitting on the couch in Wayne Manor, in their civilian clothes.

I'm afraid to go back to the comic shop. I've been away too long. :rommie:

8. The Old Mixer

It would be a coincidence, because I didn't watch BTAS, and I didn't know/remember McDowall was the Bookworm until I'd recently seen the episode again. More likely it was the hat.

9. Christopher

^Makes sense. Bookworm was a one-shot character, not likely to be remembered, and his ensemble did include a most distinctive, gimmicky hat (with a built-in reading lamp). So I can see why you'd mix him up with the Mad Hatter.

The interesting thing about Hatter is that he's just about the only major comics villain in the show who was routinely referred to by his real name, Jervis Tetch, as well as his criminal name. I always wondered why they made that exception.

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bruce's parents' murder was, I believe, mentioned in the first two episodes of the series. It had been years since I'd seen the series and that took me by surprise. What also somewhat impressed me was how restrained the humor was early on. They didn't overplay the corniness and square personalities of Batman and Robin and some episodes actually had emotional content. Later, the series shifted to more overt satire and goofy comedy, losing what made the series so damned funny and exciting at the same time. The first season is gold, especially the initial episodes and the wonderful False Face story.

I love that era of television.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Unlike a lot of camp, Adam West never actually winked or nudged at the audience, even when things got ridiculous. He always acted as if he was the only serious performer surrounded by absurdity (including some of the dialogue he was forced to deliver). That's what made it so great. Even though he had his quirky mannerisms that people make fun of (just like Shatner), he was a great superhero role model for a kid. The "Boy Scout" Bruce Wayne rather than the angsty brooders we've had from Michael Keaton onward.

12. Christopher

Oh, it wasn't just West. All the good-guy performers played it with great seriousness -- most of all Neil Hamilton, who put such over-the-top conviction and passion into everything Commissioner Gordon said. It was only the villains, and some of the guest stars, who played it in a openly comical way.

But then, the whole point of that style of camp is having the actors play the absurd situations with such utter, exaggerated gravity that it becomes comical. The other classic example of that aside from Batman is Airplane! The reason that film hired actors like Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges and Peter Graves and Robert Stack is because they were known for very intense, solemn dramatic performances, so that the juxtaposition of their dead-serious authority with the ludicrousness of their dialogue and situations would be comically incongruous. Batman did much the same thing, casting respected dramatic actors like Hamilton and Alan Napier in key roles.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Details announced today!

9-10PM E.S.T. Today. Very excited for all the details on the special features and the official specs!

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

This November, DC will be publishing an adaptation of Harlan Ellison's story, with a script by Len Wein and art by Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez.

I'm in. :)

15. Christopher

I was wary at first to hear that Len Wein was writing the script, since I've always found his dialogue style kind of stilted and corny. But then I realized that's probably perfect for Batman '66.

16. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool news. Garcia Lopez is one of the all-time greats of comic illustration and any new work from him is a reason for high anticipation -- this project especially. His clean line-style always brings back fond memories of his packaging/design work on the Super Powers toy merchandise.:)

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Was there a particular reason that Ellison's script wasn't produced? Batman versus Gentleman Junkie or something? :rommie:

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Original, unbuilt, mint-in-box Aurora Batman model kits are fetching prices in the high triple-digits these days.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

120 original broadcast episodes presented in 1.33:1 1080p and fully remastered in HD, along with more than three hours of new extras.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14576

Sad no audio commentaries.
    Oh well i still look forward to documentaries.
    At least they are not the syndicated edits...

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Ellison's script wasn't produced because it was never written. :)

He didn't get past the pitch and outline because Dozier wasn't allowed by ABC to buy anything from Ellison. Den of Geek explains

Ellison was, in some ways, his own worst enemy. He made it difficult for himself to get work because he made it impossible for people to buy work from him. "The Two-Way Crimes of Two-Face" fell victim to Ellison's personal reputation.