Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Plus back in the days when Peter was in college, there was the Aunt May factor. She was an elderly widow on a pension who was always having heart attacks and needing expensive medicine.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I always got the impression that the burden of keeping her above water was the source of the financial strain on him rather than just supporting himself.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Under the JMS run on Amazing, Peter became college professor. Of course Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics would never do that/let it stand. Peter Parker is treated like Peter Pan. He can never grow up and never mature past being a teenager or young twenty something.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That, plus they'd occasionally throw in a mention of how keeping himself supplied with web fluid was costing him a lot of money.

5. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Dear lord, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in an Avengers or MCU movie????

:drool::techman::bolian::beer::luvlove:

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Up until the Mephisto reboot debacle, I thought it was great how Peter had matured through the years. Basically, in forty years of real time he had aged about 10-12 years of comic book time and the stories and his supporting cast reflected that.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that is another reasons I hate OMD. It reversed the progress Peter's character had made all so the editors and writers could write Peter hooking up with chicks not Mary Jane.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I can hardly imagine how much the ticket sales would increase. :drool::techman::)

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Jackman also said he'd be interested in crossing over with Batman !

Anyone remember those old Marvel/DC teamups ?

10. Venardhi

I would go see a Dark Claw movie.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4vS-DVrDHM[/yt]

12. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I'd pay good money to see that film. But you'd need DC involved in it, and them teaming up with Marvel seems even more unlikely than Sony and Marvel working together.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I would not. Each his own though.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

http://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...h-of-working-your-way-through-college/359735/

There's a HUGE difference in the costs of higher education from 40 years ago, as the above article makes clear.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And as fate would have it I went to MSU so that article really hits the nail for me, interesting.

16. Venardhi

Trust me, I know. It is still doable. Harder than it used to be, (especially with the increasing necessity of expensive things like cell phones and service, internet access, laptops, etc. to be able to keep up with limited time for library access and the like) but doable. I work 8-12 hours 4 days a week, go to school all day for 2, and if I'm lucky I take the last one off. But I can at least afford all of these things, and a car payment, and still keep up with my classes. It isn't an amiable existence, but it is a viable one.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, if a film were to promise a Jackman/RDJ mega-showdown (and delivered), it could otherwise be mediocre and still push $2 billion.

18. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

I'd actually rather see Wolverine pitted against the Hulk.

That is how he started in the comics, after all :)

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^That would be awesome.

20. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Hulk vs. Thing would also be interesting, as the two have been sparring for years, and it's an interesting contrast: Ben is much more intelligent and less agressive than Hulk (Well, most of the time); but Ben has a rocky, more messed-up appearence and is mostly stuck in his thing form while Hulk looks less deformed (although colored green) and can turn back to human form (Although with a change in persona).

However I suppose we're more likely to get Wolverine vs. Thing (Since Fox has them both). I think the only real impact Wolverine ever had on the Fantastic Four was scarring the Thing in the early 90s with his claws.

Wolverine and Hulk despite obvious differences are alike in a few ways, they both have sort of a dark side they try to control, both are pretty much indestructible (Wolverine with his adamantium and healing factor, Hulk with his strength and also a healing factor) so they're kind of more easily matched.

Speaking of the FF and Avengers, which company has the rights to Namor? He's a bit of a tricky one I suppose. He's pretty much Marvel's first comics character still being used today (Although I think Ka-Zar-Marvel's Tarzan more or less although he lives with Dinosaurs-showed up a bit earlier), but he was revived in Fantastic Four, and despite appearing often in Avengers, Defenders and X-men titles he's sort of a big part of the FF (Primarily as Reed's rival for Sue).

I know that another early Marvel character, the Jim Hammond Human Torch, cameod in Captain America and comics-wise was the body on which the Vision was based (Although that's kind of become a bit muddled over the years it would be kind of cool to have that connection in Age of Ultron) and of course Captain America is in Marvel Studio's hands (Although it's an interesting coincidence it's the same actor who played the second Human torch, Johnny Storm).