That Funeral Thing....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by EnsignHarper, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic. I like to envision Fred in Heaven having to meet with each one of those whose funerals he picketed and explain to them face to face why he did it.

2. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

This is coming from a hardcore Shatner, but I think it's possible Shatner is not a funeral type of person. I know people who are just not funeral people.

As I recall, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think Shatner went to De Kelley or Gene Roddenberry's funeral either.

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

If there's any justice, that SOB didn't end up in Heaven.

4. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They're not still harassing him are they? Dirty lot of em! I bet if Scotty would've been there he'd handle those guys like he did the Klingons in The trouble with Tribbles!

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

That's true. My mother just lost a close friend and did not attend the funeral--partly because she was out of town and also because she doesn't like attending funerals (most people don't)--but sent a card and flowers to the friend's family.

As others have stated in this thread, both Shatner and Nimoy are/were over the age of eighty. It's possible that they'd already said their goodbyes and wished each other well long before Nimoy passed. How Shatner has chosen to remember his longtime friend and colleague is no one's business but his. Some people have the disturbing habit of telling other people--even people they don't know--how to behave; those people should just STFU.

--Sran

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't attend weddings or funerals for a number of reasons. A sister here in town died about 5 years ago, but we had a falling out in the 90s after one of her adult children threatened my life. So not only did I not attend the funeral, I didn't learn she had died until 2 years later. Do I regret it? Not if showing up meant I might have gotten shot.

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Quoted for truth.

8. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Shatner has caught a lot of grief over the years for his alleged gruff nature and movie star attitude, and we know there are a couple of former cast members that have made some very disparaging remarks about him, but I've never witnessed him being any less than cordial and friendly in an interview or in an article. In fact, his handling of the funeral debacle was pretty impressive. He more or less said: "My reasons are justified but here I am, tell me off" on his reddit page. If he were as egotistical and self-centered as others claimed him to be, he wouldn't have given his detractors the time of day. I personally like his candor and sense of humor. The guy is very smart and funny, and I don't think he deserves the flak he's been getting.

Besides, going to a funeral is a personal choice. I have an uncle that didn't go to his son's funeral because he just couldn't do it. However, he really loved his son. These people need to get a life.

9. Dobian

Dobian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Events are more than just a guest speaker. They cost many thousands of dollars. You have the facility you rented, the catering, staffing, decorating...just a whole lot of things you can't just eat because a speaker won't show up. And it may not be possible to move it to the next day or next week or whenever, because of all the scheduling conflicts.

10. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

A lot of people go to funerals that mean nothing to the deceased. You truly honor a friend by tending to them in life. They were great friends who were there for each other for many years. And Shatner quietly visited the Nimoy family in the days following the funeral, and has already announced a special project to honor Nimoy. How many of us have honored a deceased friend in such a way?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There actually is a church building? Wow. I thought the whole reason those Westbozos even existed was to provoke people into attacking them and then sue.

I suppose the building could be empty, though...

12. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

No, it's an actual church with a building, though they probably guard it 24/7. And insure it just in case it gets torched when the guard takes a nap, or goes out for a 'sammich.' :lol:

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is not enough for those who have spent decades piggybacking on the whining of former TOS cast and/or crew who could not stand Shatner's popularity and obvious importance to their jobs.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Hmm...what kind of sammich? I'm hungry.

15. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends. Do they need to be kosher?

16. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Think those guys need to leave everyone alone