Intrepid Updates

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by USS Intrepid, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Mike, I've added your review to my listings of A Stone Unturned both in the Headline and on the Intrepid page.

2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Just a small point, but it's The Stone Unturned, not A Stone Unturned. ;)

3. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Wow. Very well done Nick! Having just had lunch with Giles I promised him I would watch it this weekend. There were a lot of things I liked. I thought you were really good. I liked the quality of the green screen work. So much fun to see Giles play Picard.

Bravo!

Alec

4. USS Intrepid

Alec, thanks, glad you found things you like. I think we learned a lot from this one that will lead to a vastly better production when we tackle our next one.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Checked out The Stone Unturned yesterday. I thought it was very nicely done.

6. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I will say that there is one particular edit that I saw several times that I suspect will not be a part of future episodes. :)

7. USS Intrepid

Yeah, there's a number of things that I'd do differently in hindsight. First and foremost, is bring in more people behind the camera so we have enough manpower to do things properly, because we really do do this stuff on a wing and a prayer. Or in my case, just a wing. :)

We need to wrap up the story we're shooting at the moment, after that I think we'll be taking a step back to look at what we do and how we do it before we crack on with my next script. I've also got a non Trek project I really need to put some work into getting off the ground, so that will hopefully benefit from some of the lessons learned (and to come).

8. pymfan2000

pymfan2000 Lieutenant Red Shirt

cool! I didn't realize you guys had another episdoe done. Off to watch it now! Thanks.

9. pymfan2000

Another Good episode! A few minor complaints that I'm sure you've already heard but I'll mention anyway just in case no one else has:

1. I though Captain Picard was a little unprofessional. i like that the events from the pilot were revisited but it seemed a little exaggerated the conflict between Hunter and Picard.
    2. the Romulan villain's motivations could have been clearer. And why did he have a nervous breakdown at the end?
    3. Your commodore (or was he an admiral) was on board 1 scene and then talking to Hunter via screen later. Did he leave on the shuttle with the XO? That wasn't clear.
    4. the way the XO was written out the episode seemed a little inelegant and forced.

1 thing you might have done to give further reason for Picard's presence might have been for him to be mediating some sort of talks bewtween the Romulans and other galactic powers. In dispute at the talks are archaeological rights which the federation are curious as to why the Romulans care a fig about. The Enterprise is hosting the talks so that would be why the Intrepid has to do the investigating.

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i thought the romulans motivations were pretty well explained and the breakdown made sense.

mediating talks in your scenario would mean lots of people sitting at a big table and argueing, which sounds less than thrilling.

11. USS Intrepid

Than you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Yeah I tend to agree, we did force that aspect a little to make a point, and as a result Picard may have been a bit out of character. We probably could have handled that better.

Picard pretty much outlines Coleb's motivations for us at the end, by telling us "he could have blackmailed the Senate into doing or giving him anything." Coleb was a complete opportunist, out for self gain. He himself says he is "not an academic" and that he "doesn't even like archaeology."

The reasoning for his breakdown is a bit more vague, but I'd argue the very sudden reversal of fortunes he suffered (from the verge of great power, to a common criminal in a cell) could have resulted in such a breakdown. Ultimately, that either works for you or it doesn't. :)

The Admiral came aboard from the colony, he returned there when Intrepid shipped out to explore the first Debrune ruin. It was utterly irrelevant to the plot, and I'm not convinced it was something that required any exposition. That said, I think Shelby would have worked better for that comm chat. :)

No argument. We discussed that a little in the commentary, and the reason for it. :)

While I can see where you're coming from here, I think that would have been avery different story. This wasn't a story about governments, this was a much smaller story about individuals. The Romulans had no interest at all, since Coleb was a rogue element working alone. Picard, in his own words, was on vacation, and had essentially gone off in pursuit of Coleb after he murdered the rest of the expedition team. Which is not entirely without precedent. :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's always interesting (and fun) to see the different impressions and thoughts, and I hope you find my response of interest, even if you might not agree. :)

12. pymfan2000

Thanks for responding to my points.

Your point about working in Picard to the plot is well-made. You were telling your story your way. Just becuase I can see another way doesn't mean my conception was superior. I did not mean to imply that.

Kudos to you and your team for all the Intrepid work, the shorts and the episodes. Your quality work is an inspiration for others.

13. USS Intrepid

Oh I wouldn't have thought that, I know it was constructive feedback and I took it as such. I like responding to such comments, so thanks again for posting. :)

Also, a quick note for those of you in Scotland; you can catch us on STV news tonight, any time in the next 15 minutes or so.

14. USS Intrepid

15. USS Intrepid

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Works from Germany, but it's usually good to have http://www.proxfree.com/ in your bookmarks to get around idiotic region restrictions like that.
    Anyway, congratulations on the good PR.

17. USS Intrepid

Good point. And thanks. :)

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I really enjoyed this.

19. USS Intrepid

Thanks Kelso, I'm happy to hear that. :)

20. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I watched it yesterday. Nick Cook and cast/crew did a fine job. They improve with each new episode and I always look forward to more.