Bieber hopes Anne Frank would have been a fan

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Apr 14, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

What he wrote, according to the Anne Frank House FB page, was "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

It sounds to me like he would have preferred she grow up a normal teenaged girl instead of having to die so terribly at the hands of Nazi oppression. I see no malice at all in his statement.

3. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

:rofl: And I thought Kanye West was an egomaniac. Leave it to self-entitled celebrities to make everything about them. Even the Holocaust.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see no malice either. I see an incredibly immature and self absorbed young man.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So how is he any different from any other teenager?

I'm surprised he's not worse considering he's missed a normal upbring, is amazingly wealthy and is surrounded by enablers and yes-men.

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

normal teenagers don't have their monkey confiscated by german officials

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He's an incredibly famous millionaire with 37 million followers on Twitter. That's quite different from any other teenager. He's also spectacularly dim-witted in a way that very few celebrities actually are.

8. Amaris

I don't see where he's supposed to be self absorbed. It's a fact that there are millions of average, everyday, teenage girls who adore Justin Bieber. So he wants to think that maybe she would have been a fan had the circumstances of her life been different. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for immature, he's 19 years old, and a celebrity. Quite frankly, considering the circumstances, his response is rather reserved.

9. The Mirrorball Man

Had the circumstances of Anne Frank's life been different, she would not have been Anne Frank. That's the whole point, as I'm sure you'd agree. The very point of the Anne Frank story is that she was a perfectly normal young girl living in a completely abnormal era, and trivializing it by saying that she would have potentially been a Justin Bieber fan had she not been a victim of the Holocaust is missing the point to such a spectacular degree that it's just one piece of evidence to show that Justin Bieber is a very idiotic young man, no matter what kind of life he has lived.

10. Amaris

I guess I don't see what he said as anything approaching bad. Sure, it's a bit out of place, but otherwise harmless. To me it's a lot of sturm and drang, signifying nothing.

11. The Mirrorball Man

Again, Justin Bieber has millions of fans, and in more than one occasion, said fans have issued death threats for trivial reasons, so whatever he is saying can't just be dismissed as mere pablum or innocuous noise. This young man has a lot of influence on many young people, and considering how immensely moronic and uneducated he is, I don't think it's unfair to keep a close eye on him and hold him to some kind of minimal standard of public decency.

12. Amaris

In all fairness, he's had death threats issued against him by people with a severely irrational hatred for the kid. Yeah, he has some issues he really needs to resolve, but on the whole, he's a decent person. He's a 19 year old pop singer who has lots of teenage fans. You want to monitor a current celebrity? Go monitor someone like, say, Chris Brown. He's done far more terrible things than want a historical figure to be a fan of his music.

Plus, if he doesn't adhere to your standards of public decency, what are you going to do? Spank him?

13. The Mirrorball Man

I'm going to say out loud what I think about him, which, even though I do have a small radio audience, is not going to make much of an impact of course, but were we to follow your "there are worse things in life"/"you can't do anything about it anyway" philosophy, we would be so crippled with apathy and cynicism that we would never express any opinion about anything. I'd rather speak my mind if it's all the same to you.

14. Amaris

You're right. You must address the threat that is Justin Bieber. You must stop him before he signs any more historical guest books. Heaven help us if Thomas Jefferson becomes a belieber. Go! Don't wait for me here! You have a world to save from pop fandom! Let your voice ring from the mountaintops!

15. The Mirrorball Man

Thank you for trying to save me from myself with the magic of sarcasm. :techman:

16. Amaris

Well, I am a magical being filled with mystery and wonder.

17. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And as usual with our government employees, those idiots held up the wrong monkey and let the other one pass.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Like a Pinata? Can i whack you with a stick? :devil:

As to Bieber.. well, he'll be gone in a few years and be replaced by the next "cute" boy. One thing though is that i'm damn proud about those "inflexible" and "by the book" german customs officers who confiscated the monkey because of missing paperwork.

I'm proud of all officials who do something like that to anybody who thinks the rules don't apply to them.. maybe 99% don't learn anything from it but the 1% is still 1%.

19. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid this boy has a very rude reality check coming to him in a few years. It is only a matter of time before he is replaced by someone younger and "cuter". When that happens I think I will actually feel a little sorry for him. I'm not convinced he has any sort of real world coping skills, and I'm afraid I believe that even his high school "education" is a joke.

I mean, this kid did not know what a German was a few years ago! He had literally never heard the word before! Yes, I know the media made a big deal about him graduating...but what quality of education did the continuously recording, touring, performing money making machine really receive?

Yes, I think I will feel a little bad for him when this does all come crashing down around him. I hope for his sake someone has invested his money for him wisely...I don't know what he will be able to do if he lost it all to unscrupulous yes-men.

20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

If someone asked me should Anne Frank be alive and well, been born 15 years ago in a much better time and a Justin Bieber fan, and living like a teenager should have been able to, I would say yes. And I have no idea who Justin Bieber is, nor do I care.

The contrast between what a Jewish child would face in those horrid years in Europe, and what life would be for them today is so stark it feels offensive, but that's just what it is. If you could go back and transform that time into today, wouldn't you? You can easily read his statement as a badly worded well-intended wish rather than malicious or self-absorbed.