Do you prefer the first or second half of Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by K'Toska, May 2, 2015.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Seasons 1-3

28.6%
  2. Seasons 4-7

51.4%
  3. I like them equally.

20.0%
  1. K'Toska

K'Toska Commander Red Shirt

I see a lot of people here and on other websites talking about how much more they prefer the second part of Voyager (seasons 4 through 7). I might be the odd one out as I prefer seasons 1 through 3, although not so much the last stretch of season 3. For me, the plots were more interesting and it seemed that there was more social commentary. I'm not sure if it was intentional but I tend to read into that kind of thing in stories. I do like Seven of Nine more since I've been rewatching the show, but I dunno, the plots of many of the stories are boring to me. What do you guys think?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Kes never appealed to me as a character, and it didn't help that the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her. Seven provided someone who would go toe to toe with Janeway. Which is probably what Chakotay should have been doing from day one.

3. K'Toska

Yes, and I wonder why they didn't fully utilize Chakotay. I liked Kes for the most part but I did have a few issues with how she was written. She'd switch from being super naive to extremely wise - it was a bit confusing. I thought that most of the characters in Voyager were better written in seasons 1-3 though, or maybe it was just that they were focused on more.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I adore 7 and 7's character arc.

I rewatched 4-7 so much that when I finally got around to watching 1-3 again some of it was almost brand new! Which was also fun.

5. K'Toska

Yeah, when I started rewatching Voyager recently, I didn't remember most of the episodes, especially the earlier ones. It was really nice to get my Trek fix after having felt kind of sad that I'd marathoned all of the shows so quickly. I intend to rewatch DS9, and I'm sure I'll have the same experience. I watched the newer movies a couple weeks ago, and unfortunately, was not as big of a fan of them as many of the people on here. Being able to return to the shows and rewatch them and have them feel "new" again was a huge relief for me.

6. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The second half. I much preferred Seven as a character over Kes (sorry Kes) but also I felt that the writing and storylines became better, more interesting. However the first 3 seasons do have some good episodes.

7. K'Toska

I loooved the stories in the first season. I actually enjoyed what they did with time travel/loops/etc. Usually I hate that crap in Trek!

8. teacake

Kes had one purpose. She made Neelix look creepy. She was a supporting creepiness character.

Okay she also made Janeway look maternal but see, everyone.

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Seasons 1-3 were much better!

Something important is missing in seasons 4-7.

Seasons 1-3 also involved ALL characters while seasons 4-7 were centered around three characters

10. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show is better with seven in it for sure

But I say season 2 is the best overall season

11. K'Toska

Yes, I think that's why I enjoyed it more. There are some episodes in 4-7 that focus on other characters but not with as much variety from what I've noticed. I feel like the Doctor and Seven took over the show, and the other characters were kind of tossed to the sidelines. Then, when an episode did focus on them, it was usually pretty damn boring. I am rewatching the latter half right now though so it's possible my memory has failed me. I'm on season 5 but that does seem to be the case (in regard to the Doctor and Seven taking over).

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'd give the slight edge to seasons 4-7, not just because of Seven but because they managed to muster up a few more interesting ideas in that period.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I would have done away with the whole nine-year life span thing for the Ocampa. The one child thing could be easily explained away as Kes not fully aware about Ocampa sexuality as she would have been under one when she went up to the surface. Perhaps her mother was the one who would only have one child due to medical reasons.

I'm currently going through the third season. I noticed little things like Neelix starting asking for additional responsibilities well before Fair Trade. He knew deep inside that they were going into a region he doesn't know about very much or at all.

But they never touched base on how the Nekrit Expanse was such a barrier when we never saw the Voyager crossing itself with difficulties.

14. K'Toska

Yes, I would've preferred more insight into the "shadiness" of the Nekrit Expanse. The idea was presented as rather terrifying but I wanted to see more o just why it was so terrifying.

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finishing up Season 4 again; I'm at "One."

16. Janeway7trulv

Janeway7trulv Commander Red Shirt

I liked First three seasons. I like the fact Janeway really came into her own in those series .I like the fact Mulgrew had a lot of ensemble pieces which gave her a great scope in establishing the strength of Janeway . However, i cannot say this enough..Season 4 - Year of Hell episode..OMG OMG!! She was the business!!!..Kicking butt, Shit , bricks- the whole nine yards :). I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee it!! ..Absolutely loveeeee it .. I told you , i cannot say it enough ..Loveeeee it ;)

I think that episode will remain to be the most iconic ( to me)of all the Voyager episodes. Its time like those when you know the producers/directors REALLY know their shit.. They really made Mulgrew look good in that episode

[​IMG]

The added dimension is the arrival of 7 as the spock to Janeway which was the icing on the cake
    However, I hated the fact that Seven somewhat dominated some of the later episodes . It made it less enjoyable..

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The early seasons were awful. Most Trek shows start off below par and improve (yes, even Enterprise improved by season 4), but Voyager was pretty poor at the start.

It reached a peak if watchable and enjoyable in its later seasons, but was always a lame duck...

18. K'Toska

what is this blasphemy i don't even

19. teacake

Life is full of sad stories, we can't all have joy JadziaDax.

20. K'Toska

but... not... Trek! not Trek! Okay, sometimes yes.